Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
10% sales tax
9 Posts
Not heard of that before.

i have just emailed the dive club (sinai dive club) at hilton sharks bay. im after a discount

Just read what you put on the other thread. Very confusing indeed. It doesn't show on the SDC website, Emperor has the hotel on theirs though. :?
Yeh i was confused by that as well john thats why i thought i would email them both as i didnt want to be booking with sinai dive club in advance and giving them loads of money up front if they wernt there any more.

this is what i got back from emperor ::

Our Dive Centre is still based at the Rosetta Hotel in Naama Bay. However
we are doing our training dives for courses at the Sharks Bay beach which is
possibly where the confusion has come from

and this from sinai dive club ::

I can confirm you that we will still in Hilton Sharks Bay for at least few
more years .
We are looking forward to meet you soon again.

and this just to make sure from hilton :::

Kindly be informed that we still have the Sinai Dive club center till now in our little resort and you been in contact with them throw the following:

Mobil : +2 (0) 122463745
Hotel : +2 (069)3603333 Ext 392
Email : hsb@dive-club.com
Web Site : http://www.dive-club.com

lyn
Getting back on the original
10% sales tax
question...

My experience with Emperor divers is that by paying for diving in advance of the holiday I avoid the sales tax, but any extras purchased in resort are taxable. You'll find this clearly spelled out on their website. I presume the same applies to other operators.
thanks alan . think maybe I will pay so much on account then before we go . because 3 of our family dive it adds up to quite a lot so an extra 10% is a fair bit.

Suppose then its like our VAT :?
The sales tax is much like VAT, or purchase tax at least.
It may be that Emperor are an English company - so if you pay in advance you aren't buying in Egypt. So, shhh, in case the authorities over there catch on...
I might be able to shine some light on the diving clubs. My husband and son dived with Emperor at Christmas and were told that they would be moving to Sharks Bay. They were moving to a base on the beach as their rents were very high where they were. Emperor Divers at Dahab were closing. The Sharm Emperor Divers were really good. We were staying at the LTI Grand Azure and they picked up every morning on time.

We booked and paid before we went . We got a discount for diving with them as we had used them several times before and there was also a special discount offer, which we also got. But it did take a few emails to verify exactly what the total price was. They seemed to be cheaper than Emperor Divers at Coral Hilton in Nuweiba, where there are always extras and the prices charged are in euros. The exchange rate is lousy so we always take euros with us.

Hope this helps.
thanks Helene for clearing that up. we did that last year with the currency. we were quoted in euros so i took them in cash with us . but there was still more to pay at the end .isnt there always :roll: which i paid on the credit card but they converted the euros to LE at a lousy exchange rate , then the credit card converted it back to english at their lousy exchange rate so im really trying to stay one step ahead of the egypian game :D and with 3 divers it always comes to a small mortgage :( . will have the same problem with hilton who have quoted me in US dollars and us dollars they will be getting :D
we had a wonderful holiday in luxor we going again ,staying at the movenpick ,are there any changes :lol: :lol:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.