Greece - Crete Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Crete.
For a combination of great beaches, mountains and unspoilt villages head for the general region of Chania. You'll have the Samaria Gorge and "Zorba's mountain" nearby and you can also do a day trip to Knossos. The Western area is also less spoilt by brash tourism. I just got back and the White Mountains are as magnificent as ever.
I have had lovely holidays in Crete, like Richard1 we prefer the western side, in fact we are off back to Aghia Marina on Tuesday. We have visited Elounda on the Eastern side which was lovely too, but the West has it for us
Be sure to visit Mitsos Taverna Groovychick. The jumbo prawns were magnificent a couple of weeks ago. Have fun! If you have a night cap at "Make-Up" bar tell Despina that little Grace sends her love!
Although many British holidaymakers don't like this hotel, I have always found it clean and comfy and childfriendly - the Aphrodite Beach Club in Gouves. With car hire, you can easily visit Hernossisos, Heraklion and travel further inland to the Lassithi Plateau and Old Gouves and many hill villages. You can also get to the water park in Hernossisos and get some peace and quiet at night too with no 18-30s whooping it up all night.

If you ask for a room in the main building you will be comfy and well situated for all parts of the hotel and there is a beach just opposite. AND they have a big car park!
Richard1 will do :) but where is the "Make Up bar" Did you notice any changes or is it much as it was last year, was it busy? We went early July last year so I am expecting it to be a little busier (unfortunately)! I have checked out the Mitsos webcam a few times, I wonder if you were there at the time :cheers
"Make-up" is opposite the Silk garage. It's only in its second year but it's really nice late evening. I also watch the Mitsos webcam....it's fascinating to see the seasons change. Lucky you with your hols still to come this year!
Where do you stay because these days, as a Brit, it's hard to find places in what has become Scandinavia in the sun. We have been staying at the Atrion Hotel, just between Lottos restaurant and Dias apartments. It's pretty good. Previously we stayed at Mastorakis Village, Epimenidis in recent years (since our daughter was born that is).
We are staying at the DIAS again, 2nd visit. I did book the OLGA but then XL failed so reverted back to the DIAS where we had a lovely stay in July 08 for a week. I think I know where you mean so will pop in. Because we are there for 2 weeks it gives us more chance to get out & about. Will report back on our return. YAMMAS :hols
Say Hi to Roberto at Dias, we popped into the bar there one night and he made us very welcome. Have a great holiday.
My daughter and I have just returned from Plakias on the South side of the island. We have been twice before to other areas but fell in love with this quiet place. The Gorge you travell through to get there. There are plenty of coves in walking distance over the hill. Go right from the beach road and keep on walking towards Suda bay. The beach is shingle and sand.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.