Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
1st timer!
3 Posts
Hi there

We went on the Moorish Delights last year, but the itinery has changed somewhat.

Casablanca is an industrial port, and its a long way from the berth to the gates. Once outside the gates the immediate area is quite run down. We went on an excursion which included a tour of Casablanca and Hassan II mosque. The mosque was an amazing building and we spent quite a long time inside. Our tour guide was excelent, very informative. We were there at the time of the King's anniversay, so there were lots of flags and street decorations. Shopping was an experience, but we really got into haggling not thinking we would. The street traders we came across were pushy but not intimidating. One tried to sell us watches as we were getting on the coach, we ended up buying 2 and they are still going strong! On the ship we heard a lot of complaints about Casablanca. It's certainly not a place that's everyone's cup of tea, but we found it facinating.

We also went to Gibraltar. We decided to do our own thing here. At portside there are a lot of taxis that are promoting a tour of the Rock, saying it's cheaper than the cable car, which was what we wanted to do. It's a pleasant stroll through the shopping area to the cable car stop. We got there about 9.45. The ascent and descent was steep, with fantastic views, it was a clear day so we could see the African coastline. We didn't stay up there long, as I am petrified of the apes, I managed about 30 minutes while husband and daughter went off taking photos etc. In the afternoon we went on one of the many boats offering dolphin watching. We sailed around the bay and found a number of schools, that swam with the boat. They made sure we were back on dry land in order to get back to the ship on time.

Costs of excursions varies, depending on the destination, length of the tour, whether lunch is included & what sights are being visited, half days are usually around £30pp. Its half frice for under 12s.

The best bet is do your research before you go, so you have an idea of what you want to see/do at each destination so when you get the schedule of tours on the ship you can determine pretty quickly whether you want to do them or not. We tend to do a mixture.

We've been on the Destiny twice now and are going back on it next year to the Caribbean. We have never had a bad meal on the Seven Seas and the waiters are excellent. Our wine waiter had our drinks waiting for us on arrival each night. We chose first sitting, so we were often eating as we set sail then it would be off to the sky bar to watch the sun set over a cocktail or too, while our daughter and her newly acquired friends watched the show.

I hope you have a great time.
Thanks Luckeebe,
That gives us some ideas, I like the sound of Gibralta, even the apes. Its nice to read how good the ship is from people who have sailed on her. Hopefully our 2 teenagers will meet other kids as we are going during the oct half term, so we might have quite a bit of time to ourselves, something we weren't really expecting. Thanks again for the information, I am beginning to collate all the info I find so as you said we can be prepared.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.