Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
1st timer
14 Posts
:welcome Jelly 123

buy your plugs there much cheaper as are most things, i just took loose things for the night time no high heels, most people go casual, dont take towels cheap there to buy and just leave when you come home i am with the nationwide as i get no charges with that there are loads of atms around having said that we stayed in calengute we found it great as it was central for everything we needed. Try and get to the meet on a wed night you will meet lots of nice people and you can get loads of advice of them.
i have just mentioned a few things here but without a doubt there will be others that will give you some more info.
you may well be shocked when you get there but just go with the flow after a few days you will love it i am sure, just dont expect 4* Where are you Staying :que

pip
x
:wave:
Staying at palmarinha resort
Cant wait
Feel like im waiting for christmas again sooooooooooo excited
:sun2
Hi, first of all id like to say you will have a fantastic time, and so will your 8year old.

Are you going to North or South Goa?

Plugs - we buy ours from the nearest shop once we get there. They cost around 1pound, and most shops sell them.
Last year we got a plug from the electrical shop on the main calangute road, and we still have it now. But any local shop will sell them, not just electrical shops.

Cash/travellers cheques - we take the bulk of our money in sterling travellers cheques. Yes you will be paying a bit more to exchange them, but its the safety that counts.
We always take some pounds though.
change the money at local shops and not in your hotel, as you will get a better rate.

Trips - Theres lots of different trips, but i would say avoid going on the crocodile trip.
I went on this trip with my parents when i was a teenager, and we were on a boat from 10am-5pm without any shelter from the sun, needless to say i got sunstroke :cry

Theres a waterfall trip, which i have heard is very good. It is going to be my 7th visit in a couple of weeks and i still havent been to see the waterfalls.

Theres a website called daytrippers, if you google it you will find lots of trips.
Theres shopping in the capital Panjim. Theres Old Goa, which is a nice afternoon out of the sun.

Theres a waterpark in Arpora, which any taxi driver will know. Its not too far from the main stretch of baga and calangute.

What to pack - malaria tablets, first aid kit (plasters, savlon etc) , a torch, basic holiday clothes like shorts, tops.

Dont pack much white clothes as the dust will stain them. Also it is very warm so you wont need warm clothes obviously.
:wave:
Going north calangute
You mentioned a waterpark didnt no there was 1 in goa :que how big is it and whats there
:cheers
i forgot to mention that it is only a small waterpark. Its attached to the blue waves restaurant, the food is ok, although i only had the steak and veg.

It cost us 750rupees for 3 of us in Jan 2008, so 250 each. Theres a pool with 2 slides side by side, then on the opposite part of the same pool theres a rubber ring slide.
These are both staffed.

Theres sunbathing areas, on the garden, and next to another pool, which i think is suitable for young ones, as the water is shallow
As your hotel is some distance from the main drag you might want to find out about the hotel bus which will save you a few pounds every day. All adds up over a couple of weeks !
Don't sign up for any trips until you have priced them independantly. Your own taxi can be cheaper and more flexible.
High factor suntan oil is cheaper here than in Goa.
If you have limited baggage allowance cut back on clothes that you are likely to only wear once. Take garments that can be rinsed through to "freshen up" because they dry easily in the Goan heat. You can buy cheap summer wear in Goa which you will probably want to bring home anyway.
The less you take the more you can bring back. Excess baggage with Tui is charged at £5 per kilo pre booked, £10 if you are found to be overweight at the airport.
I know some wait til getting to Goa to buy toiletries etc, but I prefer to take with me. As you will not be bringing them back you can use that weight for return journey with items purchased.
I agree with several other comments about not commiting yourself to promising or saying maybe to beach seellers, as they have photographic memories and will seek you out and remind you of what you said!!
Do not agree to pay for sunbeds on the beach, if you are going to stay there for several days and eat and drink you can negotiate and have beds free.
Be prepared to be quite firm, you don't have to be rude but stand your ground when being asked "best price" or "taxi" - it is the norm so go with the flow and enjoy the whole experience.
Relax and enjoy a great holiday :tup
Thanx for all your replies very helpfull.
Im going to have to take an extra bag just to take all my scraps of paper with tips on :rofl
hi
Little advice about Palmarinha, we go Feb 17 for third visit.
Staff fantastic, Diago ( head waiter)/Adam (barman and firedancer)
Taxis outside resort, 100 rps to Calangute, 5 mins (find young Jointy, he'll see to all your outings)
Calangute steps head south look for Dommat shack, Hilda will look after you - she has young neice plays at shack.
DON'T drink all Honeybee at resort, leave some for us
best wishes and wonderful holiday
jelly

I did take a little book (much to the amusement of many!!) and have also written down where I ate and various other bits ;) :rofl

In all seriousness it helped me out loads as I had places to eat written down, shacks to go to and untold other hints and tips from this forum. I would have never remembered everything!!
Celcat i always have a little book to the amusment and annoyance of the taxi drver in january, gave it to my daughter who used it all the time over xmas and new year, :tup Gel
:tup
Me too i have allsorts written in mine but it is a god send, i have two on the go at the min but i will condense them before i go at Easter, and add anything else i find on here.

pip
x
Hi, you will have a fabulous time. All the tips and restaurants/shack recommendations, i write them all down, or print them and we go through them one by one and then when we leave i give it all to someone who has just arrived. last feb a couple came and she hated it and wouldn't leave the hotel. Such a shame. it is a culture shock but we love it. My daughters health is so much better while we are there. I would go to the waterfalls, Panjim, ask your taxi driver to take round old goa and the temples (last time we were them we were invited to a wedding, such an honour. Spice plantation and elephant washing, the markets. We didn't like the crocodile trip - once you had seen one crocodile, kingfisher etc Don't be afraid and always tell the locals you have been before. Enjoy and just let goa grab you, because it will. Jazz x :gluck
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.