Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
I am sure the kids will be fine... they shall probably be in the pool all day, best place in that heat! There is normally lots of shade around in the resorts, and because everything is really centred around the hotel you dont have to walk around much in the heat. Another consideration is a kids club... if they have a kids club great, it can get them out of the heat for a while in the day time, and give you a bit of a rest! Normally the air con is excellent in these hotels, although one tip is dont set it too cold, as coming from extreme heat to a cold room can cause tummy upsets too. I am sure you will have a ball!
Hi we went for the first time in august and the kids managed fine hardly ever said they were too hot and it was over 45 degrees every day, plenty of pool time and in the hotel was very cool they had factor 50 on everyday and its the first time we have been abroad and they didnt even get burnt shoulders, lovely all over tan, cant wait to get booked up for next august :P :P
Sorry... meant to say, it is a dry heat in Egypt and mozzies not much of a problem... my husband usually is plagued by bites, and only had one - most hotels do a 'spray' every evening which helps. My oldest daughter came with us to Egypt for the first time this year and she too is usually bothered, but never had one! The only recommendation is take PLENTY of suntan lotion, the higher factor the better and you will have no problems - its very expensive over there, and pop it on the kids before you go for breakfast, as it works best if applied at least half an hour before exposure to the sun.
Helloagain! You have inspired me guys, and I think we are going to go for it! How exciting - can't wait! Good to hear from you and thanks for your responses.
I agree with the others..........plenty of high factor sun cream, plenty of dips in the pool/sea to cool off (followed by plenty more sun cream!), plenty of water and don't stray too far from the nearest shade :wink:

I was in Sharm end of July, beginning of August last year and only a couple of our party of six were bitten and not badly.

Pippy :D

P.S And don't forget the sun hats as your kids are so young :wink:
Go for the all day sunscreen - like Prosport - if you can - more expensive, but that particular brand is highly water repellant - and it saves accidents which can ocur if the other sort is not re-applied sufficiently.

Those all-in-one swim suits are a good idea too (even Mothercare sell them now)

Just make sure everyone is fully hydrated - drink, drink and more drink - and don't wait until you are too thirsty as thirst is a very poor indicator of hydration levels. We usually take a couple of bottles of squash concentrate out with us.
Thanks, guys! Good idea about taking squash over there. Even though it's all inclusive, it's probably fresh fruit juice they have which can be a bit too 'heavy' to quench thirst. Anyway, we Brits love our squash!
The other thing I'd like to ask (which I typically forgot before!) was whether or not you need immunisations for Egypt. I will check with the doc just to be certain anyway, but if someone could let me know that would be great.
ooh, the other thing is (sorry!) is the hotel water (ie. in the bathroom) okay for washing kids drinking bottles etc. or is it best to take a travel kettle?
Vaccinations are advised but not compulsory (we chose to have them), lots of info HERE.

I personally wouldn't use tap water for washing bottles, I think boiled water would be best :wink:

Pippy :D
Hi Lardylegs,

I would certainly have the recommended vaccinations for you and the kids. Definitely don't use tap water for washing bottles!

Before deciding to take a travel kettle, thoroughly investigate whether your hotel room has a kettle in or you can get one from reception. Many hotels do have them.
Just one thing though about mossies...I always get bitten and did in Egypt in April as I went out without spray, as did one of my daughters. If you are sensitive, or the kids are, i would advise using a spray just cos you don't want to risk it!! Flippin English rose complexions!! :oops:
The Avon Skin so Soft in the green bottle is good for kids as it isn't full of deet. I used it on one of mine who is asthmatic. (Mind you if mozzies are really bad a deet one is more effective!)
Thats right, the Avon is good, so is B1 vit and eating marmite.
The pharmacy sell a spray called 'off' which is Johnson and works really well, but isn't too chemical. I am asthmatic, wonder if there is a connection..probably all that sensitivity stuff!
Hello, and thanks for the tips! Can't believe how friendly everyone is on this forum. Guys, I can't help it, I'm just so torn. I absolutely love the thought of holidaying in Egypt and the resort we are interested in looks amazing. However, i am still really worried about exposing our kids to that kind of heat. What if they had a rotten time because of it? I'd feel terrible!
I honestly think that you will be fine, because it is a dry heat it is different to going to somewhere humid! Wish Egypt had been so accessible when my kids were so little! Whatever you decide have a great holiday!
To be honest I think its us grown-ups who suffer more from the heat than the kids seem to!!! I found Egypt a more pleasant heat than we found in Turkey, especially Side where it was extremely humid. Going round the temples during the day in Luxor was HOT, but in the Red Sea its a few degrees cooler, plus during the day you aren't doing much that doesn't involve water! I can't wait to get back, hoping to book for El Gouna this week :lol:
thanks. Is it a relentless heat all day? I mean, are the evenings and nights cooler? I keep hearing mixed reports about this!
I can only speak for myself here... but three years ago my husband and daughter booked for Luxor to my horror... I never wanted to go to Egypt and was an extremely reluctant traveller - no beach, just everything was not in my favour. However, it turned out to be the most fabulous holiday I had had. Needless to say I was hooked on Egypt, and went to Sharm the following year to an AI. That too was brilliant, although got to say I did not like the shops in both places - its quite different to anything I had encountered before. However our third trip, to El Gouna this year was perfect, as its a privately owned resort no-one is allowed to hassle you, shopkeepers, taxis, etc etc, and you could walk out in the evening without anyone bothering you. So for me, this is my perfect holiday destination. The only thing is, we have to go in school hols so its peak heat, and I really cant bear to sunbathe, but under an umbrella with a book is fine, and do my sunbathing in the pool on a lilo... perfect! I have never burnt in Egypt, only because I cant lie for hours on a sun bed, but every now and again pop into the pool on my lilo and come back with a great tan without the ouch or burning. :wink: But as everyone has mentioned, a good quality sun tan lotion for the kids, applied regularly, an old tee shirt for the pool if necessary and they will be fine, honest!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.