General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
la-lapinkfluff,

It's very possible to only take hand luggage if going for a long weekend or week. Just take the basics that you think you'll need clothing wise, and get things like suntan lotion, shampoo etc when you get there. You won't be able to take these because of security restrictions and they weight a fair bit too. I've done it once and managed no problem; just means doing a bit of washing but that's not too much of a hassle.

Darren
I've managed on handluggage alone- mind you it was unplanned as BA decided not to bother putting our cases to the same destination as we were! As Dazbo says, you can buy all your toiletries out there. Have sandals which can be worn both day and night. As long as you don't need "posh" for nights where you are staying.
I fancied having a go at just hand-baggage but opted to book the cases, things like deodorant/shampoo etc is so much more expensive abroad and it much more hassle to go and find it once your out there i thought it was just better to book a case, good luck though! :tup
I do this most of the time now. You can buy toiletries in the departure lounge after security. Most airports have a branch of Boots. Wear your heaviest/biggest clothes, shoes etc to travel. How often do you go on holiday and bring back stuff unworn? You probably don't need as much as you think.
And check the maximum size of the bag which may be allowed on the aircraft. Some companies limit this to 18" x 11" x 9". There will usually be a gauge at check-in to test this.
i do this regularly.
just hand luggage which includes books and presents. my bag weighs 7kg at max.
buy shampoo etc at boots at airport, or in resort. suncream in resort.
i never take a towel for sunbathing but buy one locally for about € 4 or 5, and just leave it there.
weigh your case before you leave home.
Although I used checked in baggage, I managed a two-week winter stay i.e. jumpers, jeans, trainers etc... plus most toiletries for less than 20kg. Summer should therefore be dead easy as everything tends to be smaller and lighter! There was another thread about this last summer I think...

Make sure all your outfits co-ordinate colour-wise so you can mix and match. If you wear a t-shirt in the evening and dress it up with jewellery, you can then wear it another day e.g. on the beach. I try to leave them outside over night, as it helps to freshen them up a bit.

If you are flying with Ryanair, then be very careful about buying toiletries at the airport - you must be able to fit them into your one piece of hand luggage. They are getting more strict about this, even handbags have to go inside it. :tut

You could add one piece of checked in luggage and this would then give you 2 x 10kg hand luggage and 1 x 15kg checked luggage so overall 35kg for the two of you...?

Also, whilst toiletries are more expensive in resort, is the total cost cheaper than the baggage? You would probably pay at least £9 each way for the baggage, so can you kit yourself out with your smellies and sun cream for £18? :que

Louise
I do this most of the time now. You can buy toiletries in the departure lounge after security.

But please remember that Ryanair are a pain about ONE BAG ONLY as handbaggage and handbags or dutyfree purchases on top of your handbaggage item are forbidden!!!
thank you all, am taking all the hints and tips on board. Jim, I will follow your tip and buy the towels out there and leave behind. I will bear in mind the duty free advice that it needs to fit in hand luggage. husband got bags out of the loft last night for me to have a quick measure :( not much room!
we are thinking of doing all inclusive for the hotel because of the euro exchange rate, so hoping we dont need to posh it up for evenings.
many thanks for all your tips hugs la
Hand luggage only :yikes

I think you're really brave, I couldn't do it. I'm terrible for packing that extra item.....then another one.

Let us know how you get on and have a great time :cheers
I have found this thread very helpful as im also thinking about just taking hand luggage, i would like to know though, are you allowed to take electricals such as hair-straightners, phone chargers etc in your hold-all? (couldnt last a whole week without my straightners and mobile) ;)

clare.
mitchellclr,

Electrical items are no problem. It's just liquids and gels and certain listed items you can't take. You'll find lots of useful information on the HAND LUGGAGE: regulations on size & contents .. Q&As thread.

Darren
consider "lush" solid bars of soap/shampoo etc - V easy to pack as tuck neatly into corners/shoes etc and NOT liquid so no plastic bags needed !!! Possibly my best travel discovery EVER
thank you Tah-M, I had thought about Lush products, had seen some sample sizes on ebay that would be perfect. I think I would need to test the shampoo ones out before I go as I couldnt bear to have a week with fuzzy hair :rofl .
decided to buy a new bag today to use as hand luggage, as I just couldnt imagine fitting everything in my rucksack. Really loving all the tips many thanks.

hugs la x
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.