Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
A great link Alan, pleased to see you can still get cheap and good food at Anjuna beach but that is no longer the norm, shacks like Janet and Johns also Cafe Lillyput have now got quite expensive and we no longer use them and as for Souza Lobo's in Calangute that has gone from cheap and cheerful too bl**dy silly prices, 350 for fish fillet and chips also nothing under 200 apart from mackerel just about says it all

You can still find good cheap food in north Goa but you now have to search for it, much easier to find in south Goa but a couple of days down there is more than enough for me
I know what you mean Anne/Richard
I stopped eating in the shacks a few years back when they started charging some silly prices :que
can anyone suggest nice places to eat in agonda, we are staying there in feb for three nights at agonda villas

thanks sharon
great link, had my mouth watering just reading the menus.
What a great link, thanks so much for posting. Having just returned from a visit to Goa, we were all amazed at the prices. but I can see from some regular posters that they think prices have increased quite drastically.

I dont understand really, because everything is still so much cheaper than in the UK, so for first time visitors they are bound to be happy with the price, If they have risen so much I cant imagine what they used to be like.

Do long termers avoid certain places because of the prices?

I realise the standard rate for taxi's is charged by the km, and that taxi drivers are overcharging in the resorts.

I would be interested in any comments.
looking at the menus and prices I didn't think that they had changed much over the last 5 years or so.
But I don't go on holiday to count the pennies!
If the prices got to a stage where I thought that I was being ripped off... I would stop going,simples!!
I know that I pay more than the locals but to be honest, thats not a problem for me.
I did note that the taxi fare from dabolim to candolim has gone up by a good %.
I think that I still get exceptional value there.
Even paying over the odds at a special restaurant, still gives good value compared to Britain.
And if you are determined to eat cheap there are still lots of back street restaurants to eat at.
Interesting post Alan, thanks.

Suo - you're right that Goa still offers terrific value. It's just that it's not as cheap as it was. We talk about 200rps/300rps and forget that it's £3-£4. You can still eat well with thalis for £1-£2 at the Plantain Leaf or Anand Sagar.

I recall an argument with a taxi driver about 20rps. He eventually said, "OK, if you need 20 rps more than me, you can have it". I could have crawled under the nearest stone.

Prices are increasing and if I think somebody's having a laugh - I don't go back. I don't know anywhere else where you can have a day on the beach, get sunbeds, well fed and watered and still have change from £10 a couple.
Suo wrote:
I dont understand really, because everything is still so much cheaper than in the UK

Yes it is cheaper than the UK but the cost of living in the Uk is far greater than that of India.
Goa is probobly the most expensive state in India all because of its very generous tourists.
I dont think those who have only been a couple of times realize how much they are tipping or how much over the top they are paying for their goods or services, we have all done it and still do at certain times but if we keep doing it then the prices will continue
to rise and Goa will no longer be affordable, plus ever increasing air fares wont help.
Ok roma perhaps you where being a bit mean but I can well imagine him winding you up about his prices

Goa is a wonderful place its cheap and cheerful Goans enjoy us going there we tourist enjoy going there so lets enjoy
it before the bubble burst

tush
The prices on that menu were certainly not cheap compared to Goa of a few years ago.

However you have to take into account the increase in shack licencesetc and of course the amount of bribes that have to be paid before any business can be done.

Papa
Thats very good. Someone has gone to a lot of time and effort doing that. :)
Hi All...

I am starting to put together a list of prices for our volunteers and wanted to share with you.

http://www.poipleshadow.com/Cost-of-Living-in-Goa-India

Also if you could could anyone recommend any good (and cheap/good value) restaurants I should add I'll go and visit (and eat ;) and then add sample prices (any excuse for some good food).

They really want to have good food and good prices as volunteers generally can't spend a lot.

For example

Big Banana have a beautiful Steak Burger and chips for 120 Rs /-

Also interested to know what people buy who come here for long term. I'll also add that to the list.

What food they cook at home etc...

Thanks

Rob

*Updated due to old link no longer working
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.