Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
Hi. Sorry to hear about your ordeal. Must have been very worrying. I haven't had any dealings with hospitals in Turkey but when my son was hospitalised in Lanzarote we rang the emergency number on our insurance policy and they dealt with it all. We didn't speak to anyone else.
I remember clearly that they would not remove the needle from his arm until their admin said so i.e. when the insurance company had settled the bill.
Cheers for the reply , the thing is they plant theseeds of doubt in your mind by saying things like what if the insurance dont pay ? how do you propse to pay ? and we can stop you leaving the country they even mentioned the police which scared us to death at a very stressfull time .
What an awful ordeal for you. We never had that type of problem in the Algarve when my son was hospitalised. And Turkey want to be in the EU :roll: How appalling so called professionals threatening you with the Police when you are worried sick, it wasn't like you weren't trying to sort it out, they must have seen that you were doing everything you could to get it resolved and that you were genuine, as they were listening to your phone calls.
Yes thats what sickend me the most i was trying so hard to get the insurance to tell them they would pay , they just dont trust you at all, its ok if your staying in for a few days coz the insurance has time to come through and they have you has well as a hostage really coz they have your passport as well .
it wouldnt happen over here

It could and would if you were a foreign national on holiday in the UK. Regardless of what you hear in the more sensationalist press - there has been a big crackdown and I could provide you with similar horror stories of how the NHS now treats people who aren't UK nationals. A colleague recently had an even more awful experience in Germany and I think that the real issue is with the length of time that UK insurance companies now take to sort these things out rather than the hospitals. If they employed enough properly trained staff with medical knowledge and experience to assess claims promptly these things wouldn't happen.

I'm sorry that you had such a distressing experience and it was clearly upsetting and the lesson for all of us is to make sure that we take the telephone number for the emergency claim 24 hr line for our holiday insurance.

As someone who knows elderly people who had direct experience of how the SS treated people in Nazi Germany and occupied Europe I find it very upsetting when any 'jobs worth' bureacrat is compared to the SS. It demeans and diminishes their experiences of ending up in the concentration camps and/or being tortured. Experiences like the one this poster and others re-counts simply aren't comparable. Can I make the plea that posters don't do this?

SM
Well people who are not UK Nationals are receiving treatment all the time in my local NHS hospital, without the production of any paperwork at all, just role up at A&E and wait 5 or 6 hours like the rest of us, so perhaps you are living in a different part of the country to me SMa.

Also Foreign Nationals do not pay 300 quid a month to support the National Health Service but seem to be getting the same level of treatment.
so perhaps you are living in a different part of the country to me SMa

Quite possibly, because I live in scotland and post-devolution there are differences. Also there is a difference between the way other EU nationals, non-EU nationals who have the right of abode and non-EU nationals who don't have the right of abode and a number of other variable are treated. In the cases of genuine emergency, non EU nationals without the right of abode and especially businessmen and those who are here on holiday visas, at most if their condition is life threatening they are 'stabilised and discharged' unless they can produce evidence of their ability to pay for any additional treament.

I'm not condoning the action of the hospital, just pointing out that a visitor in the same position here in the UK could very likely end up being treated in the same way and that this is the case within the EU too even if you have E1 11.

SM
Not true! I worked in the NHS as a Midwife for many years retiring about 10 years. When Patients are booking or are admitted to hospital they are clearly asked the question have you lived in the UK for ----.
If not they then may well have to pay. This is including people who were born in the UK but have not been paying into our system. They will be billed and have been if they do not meet the criteria.

Sue
As a member of this forum, might I remind members that this is a complaints thread and it will not help those seeking advice to find themselves in the middle of a DISCUSSION, related to but not directly concerning the subject under discussion! Maybe there is another part of this forum that is better suited to this discussion ....
Reading the OP the problem seems to be the tardiness of the insurers. The question in my mind is who were they?

Insurance problems were highlighted some time ago here on HT. It is also a topic I read in the press where people believe they are covered only to find out otherwise when they actually need it. Like others I do shop around, the cost for anyone over 65 goes up quite dramatically. I also read very carefully what is covered. Price whilst important should not be the criteria, but even then there is no guarantee that in some cases it actually does what it says on the packet.

We are quite used to our own NHS service which delivers without worrying about having to pay. Many countries work entirely different and people should be aware. I would not go into a shop as a stranger for an item and expect them to trust me to pay when they send me a bill. It is no different for a hospital in Turkey, or anywhere else. I am pleased to see that first class healthcare was given but can also understand them wanting to ensure they were paid.

Certainly the insurers need to examine their procedures so people are not put in such a position.

fwh
Im afraid i have to update you all on my wifes condition today we saw a consulant at our local hospital he was shocked by what he saw on the X ray my wife has been in constant pain since we got back, he says the 2 pins are doing no more than sitting under the bone supporting the bone and at the back of those pins my wifes wrist is a shatterd mess , she is having an op bone will be taken from her hip to fuse and replace the shatterd bone and the pins will be removed and replaced with correct ones to make the bone st8 , im upset and annoyed , i have phoned our insurance who are now takeing the matter up with the Turkish hospital , wonder why they didnt give us the Xrays over there before we left ?.
Sorry to hear that about your wife.

Can I remind other members to keep it friendly and on topic please.

Sarah
Very sorry to hear of your wife's shoddy treatment and wish her a speedy recovery.

I know it is of no comfort to you but this is not the first time I have read of similar here on HT. Whilst I can't remember which hospitals were spoken sadly there have been many more similar stories littering the Turkey forum over the years since I have been a member here.
I had to go to the same hospital a couple of years ago, nothing major but a high temperature, I was examined given a jab and some pills and sent on my way, the next day I was on the beach, they were great with me.

My mum was rushed to Marmaris Hospital last september with Pneumonia, they treated her really well while she was in there and made her feel really comfortable. She was in for over a week and then took her back to Turunc to finish her few days holiday off.

if she had been rushed to hospital in England I would dread to think what would have happened to her as they just leave elderly people in there and dont bother with them in the NHS
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.