Malta and Gozo Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Malta and Gozo.
Malta is using € - I've put in Malta prices in bold - Malta comes out somewhat cheaper, but not sure if comparing like for like

Large Beer 3-4 1-3
Bottle of wine 10-14 5 upwards
Single vodka and coke 5.50 1-2.50
Cocktail 5-8 no idea
Sandwich (in snack bar) 4-8 50c-2
Small Pizza 6-9 large pizza 4-6
Main meal (eg Kleftico) 9-14
Steak 14-24 !!!!
Plate of chips (not that we had any) 3-6!!! 2-3
Boat trip (excluding lunch) 36
Jeep Safara 62
It would all depend on where you dine and what you drink but
large beer 1- 3.50 euros (3.50 strongbow)
bottle of wine 8 >

other prices are similar.
Is there anywhere left to go cheaper than the UK???
aren't those prices I quoted cheaper than the UK ??
Oh yes 1-3 for a beer, but 8 plus for a wine is pretty similiar and you say the other prices are similiar which is a bit higher than UK.
but 8 plus for a wine is pretty similiar and you say the other prices are similiar which is a bit higher than UK.

that was m&n who said that - my prices were lower, probably due to them going to posher places/ me quoting prices in Gozo

can you get a large pizza in the UK for €4-6 (and of the same quality) ?
G&T for €1-1.50 ?
sandwich from 50c in a bar ?
Sorry I had actually missed your responses within my original post. That's great thanks, I think we will therefore be able to afford it. We just couldn't get over how Greece had increase as two years ago everything was half that price.

many thanks
do you mean prices have doubled in €, or doubled in £, and so its more down to the collapse in £ ?
No actually doubled in Euro. I keep a travel journal (and have for 15 years) and write down what I do, but also write down the cost of general things. Two years ago we went to Zante and Samos and one example is 2 beers, 2 starters, lamb kleftiko, beef stifado, 2 bottles of wine 28 Euro!!! We were paying for 50 Euro for 2 starters, 2 mains and one bottle of wine this year.
I do think that prices have come down in the UK. The major chains of public houses now offer beer as low as £1.40 a pint.
There are special offers on major Pizza outlets of buy one get one free at £6.00 a pizza.
three of us went for a curry in Malta which consisted of a starter,main and two drinks each total cost 62 Euros.
Same in UK would cost £45.
That said I know where I'd prefer to be.
hi!
i saw you were asking about prices on Malta. I was on Malta this year in january and I think Malta is not verry expensive. Im from Slovenia and prices on Malta were similar to the ones we have. From my experience the prices for food and drinks in the UK are much higher than the ones on Malta. So I think you can afford you're holiday. But its truth that some places are more expensive than others:). I hope you will have a great time on Malta:)
sooze29, you seem to think that €50 is expensive for 2 starters, 2 mains and one bottle of wine this year.Thats about £45. That would be a good price in the UK, so why do you think it should be any cheaper abroad? If you take into account you would probably have a better location abroad (by the sea, with a good view, fresher ingredients etc), surely you should pay a premium compared to the UK? After all, even abroad people have to earn a living just as people do in the UK.

It's funny that alot of Brits expect everything to be significantly cheaper abroad and yet expect the quality to be so much better. Sure you can get cheap meal abroad but they will be genarally of a low quality, just as in the UK.

What's the price of a delivered Dominos pizza in the UK? Last time a friend of mine said it was £12! Bloody hell, that's from a place that has minimal overheads and produces something the Italians would arrest you for because it isn't a pizza. In Malta a great Pizza costs 7-8 Euros (£6-£7) and that's sitting down in a restaurant with service, not as with Dominos some spotty youth on a moped delivering some excuse for a pizza.

Last time I was in an Indian restaurant (just inside the M25 SW of London, we paid £50 (€58) for 2 starters, 2 mains and a few beers! The view was non-existent and nearly all of the food was quite clearly prepared the day before. Yet for the same price in Malta I can get freshly cooked food (maybe fresh fish, Bragioli, Kleftiko in a good Greeek place etc) including lovely local wine and sit by a lovely picturesque bay for noticeably less than that. It's no contest really :)
As always Singleminded is spot on with his assesment and views, I agree totally with all he has said here: but I especially love the following, this has made my morning, you really can't beat hearing the truth being told in ways like this.

the Italians would arrest you for because it isn't a pizza

:rofl
some spotty youth on a moped delivering some excuse for a pizza.

:rofl
From my experience of Malta, having been there most years since about 1982, I would say that Malta to eat out is far cheaper than the UK. A very good bottle of wine in the corner shop is about € 4, same bottle at the Gillieru (top notch fish restaurant) would be about € 12, this would compare with a bottle of wine costing about £ 12 in an off licence in the UK.

Car hire is far cheaper a Peugeot 306 Estate on a week hire works out at € 25 a day, see .supercarhire.com

Bouzouki - (Greek cuisine) 135 Spinola Road, St Julians 21387127
Cost about € 22 per head including drinks

Mama Mia 21337248 in Msida cost about € 15 per head with drinks

Hard Rock Café - 00 356 21
Level 2, Bay Street Hotel Complex, St. George's Bay, St Julians
Cost about € 8 - 10 per head

Gillieru - 00 356 21573269 at St Paul's Bay going towards Bugibba,. Well worth booking a terrace table make sure that the table is on the edge overlooking the bay.
Very up market fish restaurant also does steak, veal, pasta & lamb
Cost about €40 per head including wine

Blue Elephant (Thai Cuisine) - 00 356 21383383
Hilton Hotel Portomaso, St Julians
Costs about € 45 per head with wine
Hi macl1uk, Thanks for all that information, I will be making my first vist there next month staying in Sliema are there any restaurants you can reccomend there.Or any advice on places to visit etc will be gratefully received Maggie
maggiemae wrote:
Hi macl1uk, Thanks for all that information, I will be making my first visit there next month staying in Sliema are there any restaurants you can recommend there. Or any advice on places to visit etc will be gratefully received Maggie
I am not sure of your taste, there are a lot of restaurants and night life around St Julian's, this is the next area from Sliema.
The Paparazzi Restaurant 21374996 in St Georges Road is also good; literally just around the corner is Bouzouki (already listed). Barracuda at St Julian's 21331817 is another good one. Another area is Valletta Waterfront, quite a few restaurants including the Hard Rock Café (different from the St Julian's one).

The best shopping area is Valletta, only a short distance from Sliema, Valletta is also steeped in history. There is the Grand Master's Palace as well as St John's Cathedral in Valletta, plus a host of museums.

As you are going out next month I would guess that it might be about Easter, if so there are plenty of Festivals with fireworks and parades

Mdina is the ancient walled capital also known as the silent city because no cars are allowed because of the narrow streets.

There are also the vast underground caves and tunnels hewned from the rock about 3600 BC at Hal Saflieni Hypogeum, but you will have to book now as only a small number are allowed in any one day.

April is similar to our spring, so it will not be warm enough to go swimming, otherwise I would recommend some sandy beaches in the north.

I have only been once in April, we usually go in August, however I do remember that in April the island is covered in flowers and is lovely, whereas in August it is baron earth.

I hope this helps.
Hi, Thanks again for information, we are going out on April 8th,and we chose to go at this time of year so that we could have a good look around the island and visit as many places as possible whilst the weather is not too hot.My daughter has now booked to go in May so she's hoping we'll come back and tell her all the places to visit.I'll make notes of the places you told me about. Maggie
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.