Spain - Balearics - Majorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Majorca.
I was watching this programme last night and was shocked to see one lady who was admitted to hospital with the infected mozzy bites. Mine were worse than that and my whole leg was swollen when I was there at the end of May last year. I went to the pharmacy in Alcudia for advice and was told to buy an insect repellant (yeah right, bit late for that and the one I used obviously wasn't working well enough). I didn't feel it was worth a trip to the doctor at the time as I didn't know what could happen and no-one suggested it could get that bad, but when I got home I went straight to A&E (late friday night) and was put on antibiotics.

After seeing this programme I will be taking every source of mozzie repellant possible before going away cos I don't want to end up in hospital on my holiday.

Sarah
I watch the programme as well. (Repeated Sunday evening for anyone who's missed it) That poor girl last night who's drink sounded as though it had been spiked! Also that lad who damaged his foot on the football machine must be the 3rd one since the series started!!

Sazmo the lady's foot/leg was awful wasn't it - ouch!
I watched it as well, but I really didnt feel sorry for the lad who injured himself on the football. He was a bit rude a number of times and after repeatedly asking for pain relief, when they offered him it, he refused! Sorry, but if it was really bad, he would have had the injection wherever they offered to do it!

The lady with the mozzie bites, that was just awful. Now this isnt very helpful but I will tell you anyway, a few years ago my mum was being eaten alive by mozzies and they were becoming infected. Anyway, she went to the chemist and was recommended a cream that helps with the healing of bites. It was brilliant but I cant remember the name of it :duh which is a real pain (excuse the pun ;) ) and not very helpful. I have asked my mum but she cant remember either but it was a clear gel like substance and the tube had green writing. She is going to go through her holiday stuff later to see if she can find it and if so, I will post back here. It was amazing stuff and I would recommend it (if I could remember the name) for any bites but you cant buy it here.

Sarah :)
I watched it as well, but I really didnt feel sorry for the lad who injured himself on the football. He was a bit rude a number of times and after repeatedly asking for pain relief, when they offered him it, he refused! Sorry, but if it was really bad, he would have had the injection wherever they offered to do it!

Oh I didn't really feel sorry for him Sarah was just saying that's about 3 times that certain game has been programmed for similar injuries - warning!... ;)
He'd have rather 'ran' home' rather than face that injection :yikes
Its amazing how many tough young lads are frightened of injections!I knew what was coming when I saw that syringe. :rofl
The amount of young men who would rather have stitches put in without the injection used to amaze me when I worked in A&E.
They were probably numb anyway from the alcohol. :rofl
When I got my crutches in Salou 2 years ago they only cost 20 euros. The best bit was coming back, The Spanish were fantastic. At reus airport even although I was flying Ryanair, they reserved seats on the 2nd row of the plane and I didn't have to board until everyone else was on so that I was not standing long. The only reason I was on crutches was of a painful foot condition, so not even that serious. Karen
I genuinely feel sorry for some of the people on these programmes as I know from having several mishaps on holiday (badly cut toe on glass by pool when I was about 10, tripped going up the stairs in the hotel when I was 15 and badly sprained my ankle, then my mozzie bites, not to mention my sons really bad allergic reaction to spanish milk when he was 3), so I have had a few experiences of spanish doctors and hospitals - I sound like an idiot don't I :duh, but one thing I can say is that every time I have gone to a doctor or to the hospital, I have always had the best treatment and care and just wish our system here in England was as good. I really didn't feel sorry for the lad either - he needs to learn some manners and understanding and that if he couldn't wait to be seen when they had the time, then he shouldn't have put himself in that position.

Glynis, those bites were bad and mine were worse than that and I still have the scarring to show it around my ankle, top of my foot, behind my knees and at the top of my leg - definitely ouch :yikes

Sarah
I watch it and its 90% foot and leg injuries, somebody had a broken toe and they was bandaged up to the knee. I suppose if a insurance company is paying the bill they want to make as much as possible.. It shows how important insurance is, people say to me I won't bother with insurance nothing is going to happen, thats what they think.
Thanks for all the replies. Going by what I've seen on this programme.
The Hospitals must be supplying the football games to the clubs, judging by all the business they get from them ;) ;) ;) ;)
We always have travel insurance, but with the EIHC card it apparantly entitles you to free treatment in national health hospital within the EU. Are there any of these hospitals in Northem Majorca?
i just come back from majorca after i sprained my ankle really bad i had to pay 50euros for my crutches
Pac Alcudia is national health also, its in the old town.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.