General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
I'm very sorry to hear about your daughter's accident. It must be a shock and disappointment for you all. However you do need to find out where you stand about not only travel but also about how suitable your accommodation would be for her if she is not fully mobile by the time of your departure.

Also, do check with your airline if they accept passengers with limbs in plaster. I think that some require a 'cracked cast' and of course if she cannot put her leg under the seat safely you may need to enquire about buying additional seats so she could sit sideways. And check your holiday insurance to see if you are covered for a cancellation so that you could rebook once the cast is off.

I hope your doc is able to give you good news very soon about how long until her cast can come off.
Only thing you can do is wait until Monday 21st and see what the docs advise, only they can say whether your daughter can fly or not. If she can't you can obviously claim on insurance. They may let her fly & her activities may then be limited. It all depends on the type of break she has. Fingers crossed all goes well for you all :tup
If she can fly then things may be awkward but am sure she'll get lots of sympathic attention ;)
Hi, my youngest son broke his little finger badly 3 days before we were due to travel to Majorca, had to have a GA to maniupluate it back into position and had a whacking great meta splint on his finger which covered . We decided to go ahead with the holiday but if I'm honest I wished we hadn't.

He couldn't go on beach in case he got sand in the splint and could only paddle in the pool with a big plastic sleeve thing on (it leaked if immersed) and he was very frustrated by it all. Add to that the fact I was a nervous wreck that he would hit it whilst we were out......I just wish we'd cancelled and re-booked for a later date as much as a pain it would have been to do so.

If your daughter has got a full cast on by then I can't imagine she'll have that much of a fun time to be honest....I'd wait a little longer and see how things go! Fingers crossed for you!
As Glynis said - it depends on what the doctor says at the fracture clinic. I was due to go on holiday in May and broke my ankle on 21 April - I have had the cast off for a week and a half now and have just started physio. My doctor said that ankle breaks usually take 6 - 8 weeks in plaster. It also depends on whether it is a 'weight bearing' cast or not - mine wasn't so I couldn't even put my foot on the floor for 6 weeks.

I hope that your daughter gets well soon and that if you have to cancel your holiday you can book another one for when she is better.
Ah thanks Prawn was just going to mention weight bearing plasters as without one it'll make things a whole lot more difficult. My SIL broke her ankle last year whilst she was in Egypt & spent the remainder of her holiday 'stuck' as she was given a non weight bearing cast. She found it very difficult to negotiate steps etc as most places were marble so a bit on the slippy side. She couldn't even get down to the restaurant as there were too many steps to contend with.

If the doctor does say your daughter is ok to travel & she has any kind of cast on, I'd ask for a 'Fit to Fly' letter just incase you are questioned at the airport.
My brother fractured his leg in 3 places 3 years ago with about 8 weeks to go on holiday. Was a really bad injury and he was in plaster from his hip to his toes.

About 2 weeks before they flew he was put in another plaster knee to toe, and a few days before they left he got a 'cracked plaster'. This was to allow room for the swelling of the limb whilst in the air.

The plaster cover we bought online to allow him to swim leaked after about 3 days so that was out.

The airline were very helpful and they boarded first and got off last and he was given an extra leg room seat free.

I hope all goes well for your daugther.

Helen
Speak to fracture clinic. I broke my arm at New Year and due to the bone having to be manipulated I had to go to the fracture clinic every week to have my cast x rayed and a new one on every 2 weeks. I was told no holidays or flying but I didn't have anything booked until May anyway. Once my cast was off after 8 weeks, I was in a metal splint and arm brace for a further 5 weeks before physio started to work. I would have hated to go on holiday with the cast because you get very hot and sweaty in them if it is hot and it can start to itch and smell.
No break but - I succeeded in snapping my Achilles tendon whilst in Mombasa a couple of years ago.
This required a full plaster all the way up to the knee (Mombasa hospital EXCELLENT by the way).
But it was apparently critical for flying regulations that the plaster cast was provided with a saw split all down one side and also I was told I must have a letter from the doctor confirming that I was "fit to fly". I got both OK - and was able to fly home with First Choice just as normal
- with my crutches in the overhead bin.
The holiday was still great, I still managed safari with crutches, only problems were NO swimming (obviously) and showering required me to wear a bin liner with tight elastic bands to seal out the water.
Insurance will be important here. If you have to cancel you'll obviously need a certificate from the doctor explaining why. But if she is allowed to fly with the injury you'll still need to inform the insurance company as soon as you have a decision as this would be classed as a change in medical circumstances - even if it was just a dressing and a box of pain killers and not a full plaster. If you went without telling them and she needed more treatment whilst away they wouldn't cover you.
I'd been going to stay out of this thread but think I really should put forward my view, which is not one you might like I'm afraid.
I would recommend that you seriously consider rebooking at a later time if the plaster has to stay on. Despite what your daughter thinks, it is going to be difficult for her to enjoy her holiday. I think she may well get frustrated. Has your hotel got lots of steps? Is it going to be suitable for her. Is the heat going to make the leg even more itchy? How is she going to feel watching everyone else in and out of the pool?
I haven't travelled with a broken leg( break was at ankle for me) but did travel a couple of weeks after removal of the plaster. Even then I found my leg painful times as it was a bit swollen due to the heat and maybe because it was still weak.
I know what its like- looking forward for months to a holiday and now this happens. Good luck with everything.
Very true Fiona, my brother was fine in his cast for about a week and then he got very fed up.

Helen
Well good news, my daughter has been the fracture clinic today, she has been in plaster 11 days, the break is healing nicely, (must be due to all the milk she is always drinking)

anyway because its not a displaced fracture and quite close to the ankle the doc has agreed to take the plaster off the day before we fly and let her have a removable velcro brace - she can then sunbathe and get in the pool - she is also allowed to start putting her weight on it in 7 days time so healing is going well

we have decided on this basis to still go away - just need to find out now if the airline will still require a fit to fly note as she will be out of plaster -
Thank you for keeping us up to date. I hope your daughter continues to make such good progress and that you all get away as planned and enjoy your holiday.
just need to find out now if the airline will still require a fit to fly note as she will be out of plaster -

Don't bother asking the airline just get one. Sometimes asking questions complicates things.

fwh
Great news.....I would get the fit to fly letter anyway. It would be sod's law that you wouldn't have one and they'd ask for it...better to be safe and all that!

Your insurers propably won't be bothered but tell them anyway....phone and then follow up by email if you can so that you have a record that you have TOLD them! You know what they're like for trying to wriggle their way out of claims!

Happy Hols! :cheers
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.