Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
Understandably most insurance companies advise against taking a large amount of cash. In this day and age it really is quite easy to get cash out abroad (atm's) or take travellers cheques. Debit/credit cards and travellers cheques can all be replaced - cash can't. After all you wouldn't keep £1000 at home so why risk it aborad.

With regard to the rings - it may be worth looking at your household insurance to see if there is any cover on that - otherwise I suspect the travel insurance company will just pay a nominal amount. They may ask why you didn't have them on.

Personally when we go away we don't take a large amount of cash - virtually everywhere takes cards nowadays - the only valuable jewelry I take with me is my wedding/engagement ring and I keep them on. Into the safe goes passports and tickets etc and a small amount of money. I always carry a copy of our passports in my bag.

You may be on a sticky wicket with this one and the insurance company.

Pippa
Depending on the location, I wonder if you are statistically more likely to be robbed of your passport and other personal affects if they are in safe or if you carry them on you? I can't ever remember leaving items in a safe, although that's as much out of habit as it is out of safety. You'd think items would be, well, "safe" in a safe but as many past posts here have indicated that's often not the case. Are some countries worse than others or is it just the luck (or bad luck) of the draw?
Really sorry to hear about what happened.

I have to admit that there's no way I'd have had that amount of cash - we only ever have enough cash on to cover us 2 days and then just exchange travellers cheques - at least that way if they get stolen they can be replaced and the cash is on us. That's no good for you now I know but something for future holidays.

We never take jewellery other than what I wear every day (chain & wedding/engagement rings and I never take those off - everything else stays behind.

Passports are kept with TC's in safe but we have photocopies of them left with parents 'just in case'.

I still think a safe is the best way to go but if there were only shutters and no locks on the doors perhaps that's something to take up with tour operator?

As someone said check out your house insurance as you may be covered.

Good luck.
>Pippa!

What are youse on about!

Easy to take money out abroad?

I can currently assure you that is not the case in Spain (Costa Brava or Dorada)

Tried the Barclays and every other bank!

My debit card (Visa Electron) works but my dad's credt card (Mastercard) will not work anywhere!
Most insurance companies have a limit on the amount of cash which they will pay out for.

If you and your husband were together then would it make any difference if you claimed £500 each from your insurance? IE £500 was yours so you make a claim on your insurance and £500 for hubby?

Don't know if this would work but might be worth a try.
chengster,

We have had no problems getting money out of an atm in Majorca, mainland Spain or anywhere else for that matter.

It is a little known fact though that credit card companies should be informed that you are travelling abroad - then if there are any suspicious transactions they will put a hold on it until they can speak to you. My husband works for a bank so we do know what we are on about.

Even if you do have trouble getting money out there should be no problem paying with a credit/debit card in shops etc.
Pippa
we were given apprx 400 euros cash as gifts to take with us, as we have had a hard few years, my husband has recovered from leaukemia and has had a hip taken out .... long story but we must have done something wrong in a previous life, the luck we have :(
See my post above re insurance. Also, did you report the theft to the Spanish police as the insurance will, I imagine, want a crime reference number?
Anybody taking a Barclaycard abroad, this is the number to notify as to when and where you are going. 0870 010 0578 and if you store this number on your mobile in case of difficulties it will get you back to UK
0044 1604 230 230. Tonyt
Jodie32 asked for advise about something that happened to her, not a lecture about what sheshould have done previous to this theft so lighten up and dont post things that are going to make her feel worse. Sorry that you had this terrible thing happen to you and I hope that you get on ok with your insurance. Hope your hubby is feeling ok and best wishes for his future.

Marion
I have to agree with the above that some of the replies have been "insensitive". It's easy to say what someone should have done after the event. She needs advice on how to move forward. Big hugs Jodie.
With respect Weemaz I don't think any of us were lecturing her about she should or shouldn't have done.

I'm sure we were just offering some hints and tips so that perhaps someone else reading this forum might not have the same unpleasant experience happen to them. Forewarned is forearmed so they say.

Pippa
Likewise, I'm sure that Jodie doesn't want to read a full length discussion on whether she should or should not be 'lectured' either :wink:

MarkJ HT Mod
I wasn't 'lecturing' and wasn't trying to make her feel worse - what happened was absolutely awful but has highlighted the dangers to ANY traveller putting their stuff in a safe which we always do and I was just saying what we do.

Jodie if you took my words as a lecture or felt I was trying to make you feel worse please accept my apologies for that wasn't what I set out to do. Glynis' idea might be a good road to go down!

Fingers crossed!

Tis
What has happened to Jodie is terrible :( - just hope that she can recover some of their losses at least ......

What they experienced is the main reason why we NEVER use a safe, or leave valuable in draws / bags when on holiday.

- we always put valuables in something belonging to the kids, or in shoes with sock stuffed in them, or tape a small bag to the inside of a skirt /dress or other mundane objects...so if we are unlucky enough to have a visitor, at least there is a sporting chance they may not find our valuables.
I do not trust Hotel Room Safes either. I will only use a *Safe* if it is of the type that is located in a *bank* (for wnat of a better word) behind Reception where there are normally at least two people on duty at any one time. I would never personally use a safe that is located somewhere in the Hotel Room that could be entered into unlawfully by outside *theives* or from untrustworthy Hotel Staff: Maids, Cleaners, Maintenence Men etc etc. I'm not saying all Maids & Cleaners cannot be trusted, but there is bound to be the odd one here and there. I also do not think that Room Safes are in fact *safe*. The large aperture for the key could eaily be picked by someone who knew what they were doing.

But the more older tradional style of Guest Safe which are normally found in the Reception Area should be *safe*. I've never had a problem with this type of safe or known anyone who has. But that said, I would never dream of taking so much money in *ready cash* with me. If I could afford that amount of spending money I would take it in the form of Travellers Cheques.
Jodie32

I am so sorry to read about your bad news, I hope you soon get sorted out.
This is a very distressing time for you and your hubby, hopefully things can only get better and something positive happens eg full money refunded etc

Please keep positive, I appreciate items that were taken are very sentimental to you both.

Best of luck

kind regards

kazee :kiss
Sorry to hear that this happened. Makes a mockery of the holiday reps urging you to pay for the use of a safe really doesn't it?

So far as your insurance goes you will just have to try and claim for as much as you can. Don't feel that you can't dispute what they offer you, after all it's worth a try.

And for future travellers these posts, whilst distressing to the person who has gone through it, are invaluable information on safety and choosing your insurance policy. Check before you buy the amounts that they will pay for theft or damage etc., especially on personal items. Treat them like you would with your household insurance, if they need separate cover at home then they will on holiday too.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.