General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Broken ankle!
8 Posts
Sorry to hear about your bad news; my daughter broke her leg (quite badly) last May, and was only cleared to fly in October. Ask at the fracture clinic, they were almost spot on with their estimate to us. If you haven't booked, I'd hold off for a bit if you can, just in case.
Sorry to hear about your ankle :(

Is your anke still in a plaster cast ?

I know airlines are not to happy to let you fly if you are in a cast, in case the area swells up within the cast and becomes to tight and stops the blood circulation.

If you are out of the plaster cast I think it would be up to the advice of your doctor / orthopaedic consultant as compared to the airline.

I am sure somebody will be able to confirm this :?:

I hope you get to the DR :)

Graham
Thanks for the well wishes. I have been out of paster for about 7 weeks now. It's really just the swelling that is worrying me especially on a 9 hour flight. Was your daughter ok on the fight?

Thanks Sam
i broke my ankle leg 5 years ago and had to have 6 inch plate and 7 pins inserted.
we were due to travel to gran canaria 3 weeks later. i had to ask very nicely if i could have a removable cast that i could loosen if needed to allow for any swelling.also i had to promise that i wouldn't put any weight on my leg. i also had to get a letter from the dr to say that i was fit to fly, i was told that the most that i could fly would be a four hour flight so only just made it.
if your out of the cast you should be ok but check with your gp or orthopeadic surgeon. i had no problems just one white hairy leg when i finally got out of the cast after 3 months.
will keep my fingers crossed for you.
ali
Sam, she was fine on the flight (to Kenya, so about 40 mins longer than DR), although she was advised to do a lot of swimming (easy :D ) and to wear shoes/boots that supported her ankle (not so easy :cry: )
The only real danger on the flight was an increased risk of DVT, but exercises & the odd walkabout took care of that.
I sympathise!!

I broke my ankle (both sides) on holiday in Madeira last November - flew home to have surgery (plate and pins) here.

We went to Majorca in early March and I took the precaution of using flight socks even though it was a short flight. I don't think I could have faced a long flight as the ankle was swollen and still uncomfortable.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but 10 months on the ankle is still swollen and has been quite painful in the warm weather. I have been told that it does take 18 months for it to be nearly normal! I find that I can't stand for long periods of time or indeed stay in one position either.

At the end of the day it's your decision but I don't think at the moment I would want a long flight.

From one swollen ankle to another,

Pippa
I know what you meaan Pippa. I am keeping my fingers crossed as I haven't booked anything yet as it will be a last minute deal. I have been adviced by my pyshio that it could take up to a year for the swelling :cry: i definately don't do things by halve. Thanks for the replies and it is nice to know that I'm not alone on this one.

Sam
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.