UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
If we are desperate we would go hotel rather than self catering, again recommendations appreciated, thanks x
Don't think smoking will be allowed in any hotel or selfcatering acc as it is now banned. So if you were to smoke in room then the next guests would be subject to this, so I'm afraid you'll have to smoke outside.

Jo
The no-smoking law does not apply to hotel bedrooms, it is up to the individual hotel to decide whether to keep any bedrooms as smoking, and they can decide how many. Given that, I assumed self catering accommodation would be the same.
I thought all public places were now no smoking. You cannot have desinated rooms in building for smoking anymore except in mental hospitals and prisons.

I have stayed in a few hotels in Uk since ban w introduced and there was no smoking allowed anywhere in hotel.

So I would double check :)

Jo
You need to bear in mind that there is no single UK ban or legislation. Scotland, England, Ireland & Wales each have their own legislation.

This enquiry is about England, where smoking in hotels is allowed is designated bedrooms, and in self catering accommodation at the discretion of the owners.

We don't really want this to develop into another discussion about smoking bans and so it would be appreciated if any further replies could be confined to specific advice and recommendations on properties in those areas which shorty has asked about, in which smoking may be permitted.

Many thanks.

David :wave
In my experience you'll be hard pushed to find any privately owned self-catering accommodation that will allow smoking indoors - most seem to have gone for the blanket ban option. I think that owners are unwilling to run the risk of losing business from non-smokers because more and more them won't use places that have been used by smokers in the past whereas smokers can always go outside seems to be their thinking. I've recently come across an instance were even though the owners themselves smoked they had decided to adopt a 'no smoking' policy with their holiday home because of complaints from non-smokers about the smell when they tried to start renting it out. The same will now often apply to smaller hotels for the same reason and so you might have most luck with the larger chains running the bigger hotels and which in England are still allowed to designate some bedrooms as smoking ones. Similarly, you might find that some caravan sites and parks might still retain designated smoking vans or lodges etc.

SM
Hi, if you look on Daltons Holidays or villa renters you can request smoking in the list of options that they offer for self catering and all the ones that allow it will come up.

Sally
I stayed in a Marriott in the last few weeks in a smoking room - however the nearest to the East Coast, I think, is York - not really coast!

I don't know if the following links may be out-of-date, but...

"Smokers welcome by arrangement" ... http://www.hotelsandguesthouses.net/cottage-yoa304_1.htm

Smoking permitted - http://www.aboutbritain.com/bed-and-breakfasts/bed-and-breakfast4843.asp

http://www.aboutbritain.com/bed-and-breakfasts/bed-and-breakfast3187.asp

http://www.aboutbritain.com/bed-and-breakfasts/bed-and-breakfast3978.asp (a few more probably say the same on this site)

I don't think you'll find self-catering that it's legal to smoke in though.
WE HAVE JUST COME BACK FROM 2 WEEKS IN STAITHES WHICH IS 8 MILES FROM WHITBY. WE STAYED IN A COTTAGE THAT PERMITED SMOKING. THERE`S A COMPANY CALLED INGRID FLUTE THAT DEALS WITH SELF CATERING ON THAT COASTLINE. THEY HAVE QUITE A FEW THAT PERMIT SMOKING. BB. XX
Welcome to the forums beebee ... but could I ask please that you turn your Caps Lock off when posting.

Many thanks
David :wave
Thanks for the welcome. :whoops :whoops Very sorry re caps lock. bb. xx
Thanks very much for the replies, really useful cheers xx
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.