Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Advice needed
8 Posts
Hi Lisa, my experience this year was if you plan to get a late deal, you will be dissapointed.
We booked less than 2 weeks before departure, and only managed to get a few quid off brochure prices, and there were hardly any hotels with spaces, but this was in Jan(peak time) , so maybe March might be a bit different.

If you arent too fussy about what hotel you want, then hold on for a late deal, but dont expect to get anything less than £450 each, or even a bit more.

As you may already know, there are going to be less charter flights to Goa, so if i were you i'd book a flight now, which are around 400pounds, or you could even wait a couple of months and find either a charter flight, or a flight to Mumbai, then a connecting flight to Goa.

There are many hotels available on the internet for around for approx 150-300pounds per room.
We booked flights early, as heard the same about prices increasing dramatically, paid £550 with Monarch (I know, I know!!!) partner likes the stop off in Bahrain to stretch his legs, stock up on cigarettes etc. Had a quick look yesterday prices exactly the same with Monarch ,booked through Travel Republic, but the Thomas Cook direct flight for the same day is now down to £425 :really
I really don't think that there are going to be cheap flights through booking at the last minute, the airlines are already raising there prices, because of the fuel taxes, also there are fewer charter flights, so the only other way would be scheduled flights, which is a long haul, for just a two week visit. The scheduled flights although much more comfortable only go to Mumbai, so then you have approx 50/100 pounds per person to add on to your costs, to get from Mumbai to Goa. Then again you may be lucky and get what you want at the last minute. I wouldn't want to take the chance.

This year every thing is so unsettled, mainly because of the fuel prices, all around the world, and the troubles of such a short season last year.

Every one from thje taxi's to the hoteliers, and restuarants are going to want to cover the costs that they lost last year.

Taxi's are no longer a cheap way of getting around, especially in the Candolim Calangute area, they are on par with the taxi prices that are being charged in the UK. Also there have been riots in Panjim, Mumbai and Dehli, because the price of fuel has risen, by 3rps per litre, this will be added on the the taxi and tuk tuk fares. (greatly inflated I might add)

The price of rice and vegetables have also risen by 50%, so this will mean that the prices in the restuarants will rise.

I was only talking on the phone to my friend last night, about this, she is spending a month over there, we will be there for 3 months, and we have decided, that we will be using a lot more of the local buses, tuk tuks, will only be used if we have no option, we will also be using much more of the local restuarants, there is a lovely local restuarant by the foot ball field in Candolim, that is as cheap as chips, compared to the tourist restuarants. There food is excellent.

I have a feeling that this will be our last year, because, it is going to be more of a, rip off Goa, I really feel for people who are going to Goa for the first time, because they honestly have no idea of the true prices. They will be paying the prices that are quoted, not trying to haggle. Those of us that have been before, will realise when we are being ripped off, so will not use the places or taxi's that are doing it.
On the flip side due to inflation etc. etc. less people will be booking in advance therefore there is a real chance there will be late deals (some of the late deal prices in May for European holidays certainly backs this) and Split and Del make some good points in a thread a little further down the page.
p.s. and a travel agent will always tell you that there are is no such a thing as a late deal anymore ;)
Lisa TC are doing 7th March at the Mira for 404 for 2 weeks. if you look at the TC website it comes up as 569 but when you select the deal the discount comes off. I booked 3 weeks for less than 500. The price includes transfers meals and fuel. Dont think you will get cheaper if you wait especially with fuel costs. The Mira is a nice basic hotel in Calangute.

Paul
Hi all.
Thankyou all so much for the replies, and some excellent advice.
I am definately now thinking we need to get the flights at least booked asap.
Paul that sounds an excellent deal you got yourself, :tup but we really do want to stay in the South. Thankyou anyway.

Hmmm yes Jock i guess thats true. ;)

Tomita, thankyou for your post, that was so interesting.
I have only been twice to Goa and my friend, as i said has never been.
So many good things about Goa, and they have a living to make the same as we do, so as long as the prices dont go beyond my pocket i will continue to holiday there. I cannot imagine not going there, its like my second home.
Thankyou all for your input, will be back here some time for a catch up all the goings on.
I also cannot remember how to add an avatar to my profile. :-?
Will someone please jog my memory?
Thankyou. Bye, have a lovely day all. :wave Lisa x
Lisa

14 nights at Gaffinos Covalassim on 14 March is currently 527 with Manos. Not as good as the deals TC had a few weeks ago but still a good discount. this is a decent guest house, I stayed there last year for a couple of nights when we went on a scooter trek.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.