Spain - Costa Del Sol/Gibraltar Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Del Sol.
It can be a totally mixed bag! I have been on the beach on Christmas day before now. I suggest you take T shirts, a couple of jumpers and a jacket for the evenings as the are quite chilly sometimes.
Many thanks for the info. will do just that
I am in Estepona, next town along from San Pedro, there is an exit from the toll road for San Pedro. I rarely use the toll road, funnily to avoid San Pedro as the roads here can be busy. I only use the toll road in August and at rush hour. The alternate is a dual carriageway all the way.
I forgot about the charge. There are 2 toll roads. 1 from A/P to Marbella, then a stretch on the dual carriageway and 2 from Marbella to S P and beyond. The charge varies according to season but total is about 6 euros.
Thanks for your reply. I take it that you would use coast road at that time of year? How long does it roughly take either way coast rd or toll rd?
You are right, I would probably not use the toll roads. Give yourself 1 hour for the journey although it will probably take less. Toll road will save no more than 5 mins.
Many thanks brodev i will take your advice. We are stopping at the Cortijo Blanco near San Pedro do you know if it is well sign posted. and seeing that you are local to that area good places to visit over the xmas period.
Jonesy

Having spent the past four Christmas/New Year seasons in Almería (up the road from you) I wish to point out the following:-

1. Daytime can be nice and sunny. You might even enjoy a swim in the sea. Walking is fantastic.

2. From 7.00pm it gets progressively cold and I mean very cold.

3. Apartments in southern Spain are built to repel heat and retain the cold.

4. During late December, January and early February it can literally be colder inside the apartment than outside. Believe me floor tiles can be very cold. The walls of apartments are also much 'thinner' than the UK equivalent.

5. Therefore, ensure you have enough heating appliances or a working fire. A single electric oil filled radiator will not be enough.

6. A good quality duvet will be required at night.

7. Warm clothing is a necessity - and if you must err, do so on the side of caution.

8. Keep a bottle of whiskey handy because if you add some boiling water to a portion - it will warm the cockles of your heart.

ENJOY YOUR BREAK
I totally agree with everything in the above posting. Cavity walls seem to be unheard of in Spain. Condensation inside apartments can be a severe problem making the place feel much colder than it actually is.
Cortijo Blanco is on the outskirts of San Pedro on the Marbella side, even more reason for not taking he toll. It would take longer on the toll road. I have not been there but I have never heard anything but good about it.
Many thanks everybody for the useful info.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.