EX-Pats and Owners Abroad

Discussions for EX-Pats and owners abroad or those who are considering this idea.
Hi Ellie Meg,
Which part of turkey are you thinking of moving to? as this will make a difference regarding the number and type of Private Schools available

Jordy
marmaris area as my mother lives there
For info on Marmaris Chelsea Boy is the oracle

Over to you CB
thanks Jordy... :oops: my daughter went to UFUK college, it's private but they now only accept turkish speaking children. Maybe your little one could make it as she is young and they might teach her. Its 4500 ytl per year including meals. Kenen everen college(marmaris college) will accept all students but are 9000 ytl mimmum per year. Most of the state schools will accept english kids but they will pretend not to as they don't want the hassle.Bring your dog but you won't be able to take it back...as the vet said no passport and not in the eu. As for the other country bit, it's getting it out of Turkey that is the hassle. Your are right not to burn your bridges, it's difficult to work here, permits are as rare as rocking horse poo! Good luck, and let me know if I can help further.
hi

thanks for your reply chelsea boy, my husband is a builder and we have been told that there might be potential to do some building work or renovate some old buildings etc and resell, we are coming out in 6 wks to have a look and suss it out, we also intend to invest in the turkish bank with the high interest rates to help us out a bit although i do realise this is a slight risk, i think its now or never with ellie being the age she is, shes 7 now but heading on to 8 and i think if we leave it another 2 years she might be getting too old to pick turkish up quickly, shes learnt loads just visiting turkey so regular. i was told when we were there in summer by someone that the beldebi private school has reduced its fees to get nearer to the other private ones fees again not sure how true this is, beldebi area is where my mother lives so quite fancy looking at renting there. do you know is it easy to rent for a year and how much would i expect to pay for 3 bed house, villa or dublex with a pool or shared pool. think we would prefer to rent long term til we are sure we want to stay, going to put house up for sale in next few weeks and then might buy a small house here just for a base and for storage and also for my son who is refusing to come with us, but hes an adult anyway so theres not a lot i can do about that. hopefully will find out more next mth when we go to icmeler

karen
Hi Ellie Meg,

The only way to bring your dog back to the UK from Turkey (if it comes to that) is by putting it into quarantine for six months - and that's very costly (plus of course, the dog will have the right hump with you afterwards! :evil: ) You will need a Pet Passport to bring it back, even though Turkey isn't in the PP scheme, so you'd need to arrange that with your vet over here before you go. You'll need to arrange it a few months before you travel as the vet will need to give your dog the anti-rabies injection - and then you'll have to wait a few weeks for a blood test to make sure the injection has been effective before they issue the passport.

Most of the major airlines carry pets (I know Turkish Airlines do) and they charge you according to the weight of the dog. You will need a container or a cage, and you can buy those from most pet shops. My cage (not mine - my dog's :P ) cost about £70.00

You can take your dog to mainland Europe from Turkey - and I know one woman who flies back and forth from Germany to Turkey with hers in tow. :D It seems to be just the UK which forces the quarantine law.

However, I have heard of people taking their dog across to Greece/Germany etc - and finding a vet there to stamp the necessary paperwork so as to bring it back into the UK without it going into quarantine.

The other way round it is for your dog to leave Turkey and stay in Europe for six months - thus escaping quarantine. :fly

Good luck!!

Strawberry
thanks for your help strawberry this did enter my head going out of turkey for 6 mths it wouldnt be so bad if it was just hubby and me with the dog but having a young child in tow is tricky, with schooling, anyway i should be thinking of the positive side lol, ive got flights booked with onur air for aug as we hadnt decided to move when i booked those so hopefully they will allow us to take the dog on this flight, shes only small about 10 kilos max but extremely nervous and clingy, shes been a rescue dog and i think badly treated and cant bare to be out of our sight long so we cant leave her behind, is there any way a vet can give her anything to calm her down on the flight for it will be at least 6-8 hrs with airport waits etc
Hi Ellie

Yes, the vet will be able to give you a tranquilliser for the dog which you'll need to give him just before check-in. :)

Strawberry
sadly my flight company onur air ive booked for next year doesnt take dogs so thats a pain, ive got to book others or my hubby will have to come alone with the dog and we still use the booked flights, if we can flight a direct flight that allows dogs from birmingham. turkish airlines go via istanbul and that will put an extra 2-3 hours on our trip so would rather find direct flights , anyone know where i can start looking, if i have to go a further away airport then a london airport would be better option thanks

karen
Ellie meg... a 3 bed house would be about 800 to 1000 ytl per month, Beldibi is cheaper, as for the private school , well its a bit of a shambles. they say they are international but only do a Turkish curriculum. They bargain their prices and teachers don't seem to stay long.
Be careful with the resale market. You could be left with a property that you can't sell quickly. The property market here has flattened quite considerably. I do know of someone that has a rental for 6 months in The Cami avlu area, 3 beds but I don't know how much he wants!
hi

yes ive heard that they are building so many new builds that the second hand houses etc are selling very slowly now. a 3 bed house for 800-1000 would that have a pool as thats a must for my daughter. we are coming to turkey in a few weeks, can i just turn up at these schools and ask questions. we will be looking to rent for quite a while til we are sure its the right thing to do but need somewhere that allows dogs too, shes very well behaved and quiet lol. we are hoping to move out next summer if all goes well, got to wait for my son to finish college first as he doesnt want to come with us, i might buy something small here so he can stay in it, but prices here are so high grr , so ill know more once we put our house on the market.

can anyone point me in the right direction to get prices to take some items with us, im trying not to take too much but i think we will need more than 1 case each lol, ive been told you can send via boat or land but no idea where to start
Hi ellie-meg .... you can go to the schools and talk, if your turkish is good enough that is! I have spoken to lots of people shipping stuff over here and had various stories.... dont bring TVs, radios, cd players etc. If you bring a sky box put it in your luggage! If it's not very heavy then plane cargo can be better. If it's by ship then you will need a resident permit to claim it here. If you need help with a resident permit then I know a guy that gets them in 3 days max... he got mine in one day!
hi

thanks for that, my mother said their permit took weeks to sort out, so ill bare that in mind. we were only taking extra clothes and daughters toys inc psp, wii etc with us, but it will still be a fair amount extra, depending on price lol.
ive found out that thomson and thomas cook do pet travel but they wont allow dogs to be sedated grrr and as i have the worlds most nervous dog god knows how im going to sort that out.
My daughter is moving to Abu Dhabi with her husband and 2 cats at the end of this month. The cats are both rescue pets and quite nervous so she wanted them sedated. She was told by her vet that this is not possible as they get checked over by vets at the airports, and if they are sedated then the vets won't know if they are too overwraught or ill to travel or not. It seems to be a catch 22 situation!
I have a feeling that she's going to be ignored by the cats when they get to their new home!
Good luck with your plans. When looking for a school for your child you need to ensure they offer the International Bacculoriate exam, it's the european equivalent to A levels, some but not all Turkish schools will teach to this standard. If you want her to have the option of returning to UK or Europe for work or further study she will need it. Don't forget you will need a work permit if you want to work legally in Turkey. There is a list of jobs forbidden for foreigners, you need to check if building work is on it. Many people take the risk and work illegally but if caught you could face deportation.
JMK

thanks for you advice ive already asked about my hubby building and have been told by various estate agents and turkish friends if hes bought a house to do up or land to build a house on then he can resell without problems, theres a few uk builders that buy 1 apt off a turkish builder cheap before they are finished and resell and make about 10-20 grand profit too. we wont need to work to survive moneywise but more to keep hubby busy so just pottering around building a bit here and there will keep him happy. going out there next mth so will ask a few questions at schools etc as its a big decision to make

tishtosh

my dog is also a rescue dog and was abandoned and therefore extremely nervous of anyone and anything, but is a lovely dog, we think shes got whippet and russel in her and whippets are naturally timid dogs too, shes 1 of my main worries
Why don't you ask your vet for advise EllieMeg? Your poor pooch! I hope everything works out for you.
Hi ellie meg.The cheapest and best way to move your goods to Turkey ( providing it's not a container load ) is to pay excess baggage.Depending on which carrier you use, you can book it in say a week early as Cargo.Thats normally cheaper than excess baggage. regarding your dog and I know that you don't fancy Turkish Airlines but we used them to bring over our two cats.One could sit on my wifes lap and the other had to go in a heated cargo hold. Total cost 90 GBP's.Both arrived safely and were catching Lizards the following morning.One final point you could have a look at the DEFRA web site regarding your pet.

Good Luck.

Ian
i did ask my vet and she suggested having her sedated, which i thought was fine til i found out t cook and thomson dont allow this. the only reason i havent considered turkish airlines is the fact you have to change at istanbul and that puts at least another 3-4 hrs on the journey and changing planes etc, is a lot of hassle, ill get a price off them anyway, do you have to be on the flight with them for turkish airlines, with thomson you didnt but t cook you did, all so confusing. i did ring defra they said turkey was a none passport country and couldnt help me and suggested i ring the turkish embassy to find out exactly what i needed to do to take the dog with us

karen
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.