Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Not stayed at any of these, but I remember that the Sonesta Club has had iffy reports in the past so you might be better off researching the other two.

When you ask about booze and cigs. Do you mean buying and then bringing back into the UK ? or do you mean for your use out there ?

If you like to have a drink on your balcony of an evening before you go out to dinner you might be better off taking a bottle of your favorite tipple with you, as quality spirits/liqueres are hard to come by in Egypt anything branded will be expensive as it will be imported, its a Muslim Country so alcohol is not high on their agenda apart from to sell to tourists.

I would imagine taking drink back into the UK you might be better off getting your allocation on the plane. They often do two litres of branded scotch, vodka, gin etc for £20.

Not sure on cigs, someone else will know.

HTH Doe :sun2
cigs for bringing back home for others
I believe you can only bring 200 cigarettes into the UK so don't go buying large amounts!
I believe so, but the wife has an issue with numbers so I'll let her 'count'. Still awaiting news on cost though at airport sharm, couldn't help notice is that your 2 african's . We have a 7 month male/Hank, he's a little belter, or should I say he gets a belt!? :think
Sonesta club is the smaller sister hotel to Sonesta beach resort where i am queen :rofl When we were in resort last November i asked the thomson rep if she had had many complaints. She told me that the sbr hadnt got any, but the sonesta club had a lot. Mainly about the food, although some reports i read said the food was nice.

I have no idea what to advise on this one, yes i have been around the complex and seems very clean, a lot of english young kids were there last June.

Some of the complaints were about the food, but that could happen anywhere in an A1 complex. SBR and SC are new to the A1 facility last year, as with all new things, it will have teething problems, as with high class hotels in the Sharm area.

SC is across the road like a dual carriage-way, quite safe to cross, but can be at times busy. To get to the beach, you walk for about 20 mins from that hotel and enter it via the sonesta beach, as that hotel is on the beach or near enough. SC does have a night club that some friends went to and thought it was quite a laugh, why? i don't know :think

SC looked very nice, but very cramped in the summer months, could only see a couple of pools.

I do challenge some people on what they moan at, some people i dont think ever enjoy any holiday unless they moan ;) Nobody wants to listen to that.
thanks for that, any idea on cigs prices at airport in sharm?
Hi

I know they were all in dollars as everything is at the airport. I looked for cigs for my neighbour as she like golden virginia. Alot of cigs at the airport are foreign when we went last November and because they were in dollars and the pound and dollar isnt good, they were dearer. We bought quite a bit from the airport on departure and another load on the plane going over and coming back.

When in resort i am sure there will be a nice assertive man that will get you some dirt cheap, they did in our hotel. They always want to please. Also there is a duty free in Naama Bay as long as you use it in so many hours of landing, but cannot remember. They sell cigs in resorts in the supermarkets also.
Hi I get mine in the Metro at Nabq and cost 45le for 200 L n M red and white pack. Think when I looked at aiirport Xmas B n H for 200 worked out about £12. Food and drink prices have risen as well as the terrible exchange rate recently. Some bars you will pay anything from 20le to 25 for a bottle of lager and hotels will be more. Average cost of local spirit and mixer will be about 30le and again more in hotels. International brands expect to pay around 50/60 in hotels.
On the plane they are £20 for a box of 200, and £30 for a box of 400!
stark wrote:
couldn't help notice is that your 2 african's . We have a 7 month male/Hank, he's a little belter, or should I say he gets a belt!? :think

http://www.flickr.com/photos/flipflopip/collections/72157609777712439/ ;)

If you need a good parrot forum link PM me :)
When we first went to egypt it was 10le to the £, it hasnt gone down that much, in resort it is 8 LE to the £ so only gone down a few pence. Imported beers are generally dearer from the UK, but saying this sakara, heineken and stella were all the same price about £2.50. That is the normal rate really in sharm. Hard rock is very expensive as are the spirits. These havent just gone up, they are always this price ever since we have been going to sharm since 2005, and that is 7 times.
As for cigs it maybe worthwhile to buy in the airport going out and buying more on the aircraft going out, likewise coming home.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.