Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
:wave:
hi clare,
like you we have been to marmaris a few times. last year went to altinkum,this year icmeler.

we prefered altinkum as the beaches are really nice,all sand and you can walk out quite a way nice and safe. we stopped at nazar,only a couple of minutes to main beach nice level walk. there are plenty of bars, dolphin square is quite lively at night.
it is not as big and busy as marmaris but enough to stop you being bored,there is a shopping centre and also a weekly market just a dolmus ride away.
sorry to say you get the same hassle as elsewhere.
if we go back to turkey again some time, it will be altinkum, simply for the beaches.
best regards.
percy123. :sun2
Like Percy123 we have been to Altinkum many times over the years and loved this resort.

I know the location of Nazar as we stayed in the nearby Burak and also Azzuro. Both these accomodations are well placed and near the main Dolphin Square.

The beaches are brilliant. Wouldnt hesitate to go back to Altinkum. I am sure it would be a good choice for Clare and her 2 daughters.
if you fancy hisaronu take a look at my downloads its worth looking it shows the area :sun2
We would also like to try somewhere different after many times in marmaris. Are the lazy day boat trips available in Altinkum, as they are a must !!!
How about one of the resorts around Bodrum.

Gumbet is the biggest and liveliest (although nowhere near as big as Marmaris) and there are some lovely hotels and apartments along the beach front, which are very reasonably priced. It is a bit hilly towrds the back of the resort but if you stay by the beach it is flat.

Bitez, Turgutreis and Yalikavak are smaller but still lovely beach resorts and there are some more traditional resorts where the Turkish tourists go like Ortakent, Torba and Gumusluk.

And of cousre Bodrum itself which is a lovely town but doens't have much of a beach. Greta for shopping and sightseeing though.

All these resorts are less than and hour from Bodrum airport so ther are no long transfer times involved.

If you want any more info please just ask.

Kedi
having been to most resorts in turkey, olu deniz is lovely and we quite liked altinkum. but we visited turgutreis, bitez and yalikavak this year and the beaches are all stoney and rocky and not nice for kids to get in the sea, even i struggled getting out it was uncomfortable and we found these areas extremely more expensive especially for eating out, we were pleased that we had opted for an all inclusive. so read up very carefully on what sort of things you want out of a resort.

hisaronu is at the top of a large hill going down to olu deniz where the beach is, dolmuses are up and down every 10 mins ish and its only about 2 miles so easy to get to olu deniz, hisaronu has more shops ,bars and restuarants than olu does, i personally prefer to be next to the sea, but everyone likes different things, good luck withever you decide to book
It obviously depends on where you eat as to how expensive things are, we have always found the Bodrum peninsular very reasonable but then we usually eat in more traditional Turkish places rather than obviously tourist restaurants. We stayed in Turunc and visited Marmaris while we were there and found that far more expensive.
there was a thread running on how expensive bitez has gone this year, i was quoted 3 times more in the hairdressers in bitez than i paid in marmaris thats a huge difference. turgutreis was a lot dearer too, marmaris is definitely cheaper to eat out than both bitez and turgutreis, i also avoid if possible any tourist restaurants and try to eat where the turks eat. we always stay in akyaka were the prices are very reasonable and only visit marmaris for a day or 2. anyway i dont want to get into a row over prices i go up to 6 times a year and to lots of different resorts, so i can only judge by what ive seen
Well I lived there for several years and I am just going by what I have seen too. I can't comment on every single place but in general I find places around Bodrum reasonably priced.
ive been having a look at the reviews on altinkum...looks pretty good, can somebody tell me how far it is from the airport please?

didnt realise hisanaro was up a hill, and have to catch a bus to get to the beach, so maybe having second thoughts about that one! :think
I think I am right in saying that the journey from the airport will take at least 75 mins.

If you decide on Altinkum I am sure you wont regret it. Its a really nice resort.
Hi Clare,
What about Dalyan?Fantastic beach-you need to get there by boat or dolmus-but the boat is part of the fun.Dalyan is surrounded by hills but the town itself is flat.Plenty of restaurants and bars.30 minutes from Dalaman airport.I really liked it there.

Linda :wave:
You can always look at my favorite place...Cirali...a traditional turkish village that caters to independant travellers and turkish families..1.5 hrs from the Antalya airport....and here are my photos from the area..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/canmom/sets/72157607782865275/detail/

Cirali ( Çıralı ) is a very lovely and unspoilt area...with Olimpos Roman ruins scattered in a pine forest, a secluded 4km non-touristy beach, fertile fields, and the Chimaera, the world's oldest and best-known natural "eternal flame". Also a natural nesting-ground for carretta carretta (loggerhead turtles).

So what makes Cirali so special ?? !!! It is protected by the WWF and limits the amount development in the area.

It is not over crowded with 5 star hotels or loud bars etc. Just a nice place to have a quiet holiday. Most if not all travellers to Cirali book their own flights and acommdations directly with Cirali hotels or pansiyons.
hi there the transfer from the airport to altinkum is 90 mins approx

suzie :)
thankyou everybody... caretta, the pictures look beautiful, looks like my kind of place for a nice relaxing holiday,but.... my girls are 17 and 18, and although they are not into the clubbing scene, im wondering if Cirali would be too quiet for them, they are more into kareoke bars etc! :think
Hi mitchellclr

So glad that you liked my photos..photography is a new passion of mine..Cirali is nice..but don't expect your full english breakies, big screen TV football games ( however many locals do watch not only the Turkish football but the World Cup games with a passion..etc ) , pubs, etc...it is a traditional village..sorry no kareoke bars..

However that is not to say that the youth don't find places to hang out...it is really easy to access the nearby village of Olympos ( by the beach ) where it is certainly more a party lifestyle...there are loads of bars, dance clubs etc..in Olympos...

But Cirali may not be for everyone as it does not have the waterparks, horseback riding, parasailing etc etc but it is close by to the town of Kemer ( a resort ) that has many of these types of activities. You can rent a jeep, quad bikes, bikes etc to explore the nature and there are even some organized tours available as well but not to the grand scale that they are in other places.

And lastly yes you can easily take the buses to visit the nearby towns of Tekirova, Kemer and the city of Antalya for a day trip....if they got bored..

For those who love nature, relaxation, quiet surroundings and no hassle from shopkeepers or restaurants etc....then Cirali is a perfect place and a wonderful family orientated atmosphere...Cirali is still a placed untouched by mass tourism and retain their natural beauty and charm..

Definately worthwhile to check out !!!

PS...Cirali is about a 1.5 hr transfer from the Antalya airport..( 100kms )
If your girls are 17 & 18, it's definitely Olu Deniz. Beautiful place with lovely beach and lagoon for you and plenty of lively bars for the teenagers. Very flat compact resort where you feel very safe. I am happy to let my 17 year old daughter and her friend go down the main street on their own at night. :wave:
if your girls are 17 and 18 it's definatly gumbet

been to gumbet and altinkum last year

altinkum is very good for restaurants but the same entertainment in bars from last year after a week you get to know what music is on next!!

gumbet has a huge range of bars something to suit everyone from the quiet bars along the beach at night to bar street (must be at least 5 karaoke bars that i can remember) to irish bars/clubs etc.

you can get boat trips in both places through altinkum is 1/2 the price than gumbet's.

the other thing we like about gumbet is you can be in bodrum in about 15mins a totally different atmosphere with the most wonderful fish restaurants in the world.

so to sum it up altinkum more relaxed with good restaurants but poor entertainment gumbet more lively a lot more restaurants buta wide range of entertainment.

you could always do what we did a 2 centre holday 1st week in altinkum 2nd in gumbet (roughly 2 1/2hr transfer)

hope this helps
john

forgot to say we are 39/40 with a 17 yr old daughter (18 yr old pal came along as well)
caretta
wonderful pictures fantastic views
great hobby you have
:sun2
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.