Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
I don't see how BA are to blame .
If ATC didn't allow the plane to take off I would assume your beef is with them.
It was the whole can't be bothered attitude. Believe 70 flights out of 1300 were cancelled so we must have been unlucky. Very unlucky when you consider this is the second time in 5 years this has happened to us. The last time was Easyjet who did not even bother informing anyone the flight was cancelled. I expected better with BA. If someone costs you money because they have not provided a service you should be able to get that money back whether it be £20 or 20k . I guess BA just have the typical can't be bothered/someone else's problem that seems to be the norm in the UK.

Mind you to this day I still cannot understand, being from an IT background, how there did not seem to be a backup system that the ATC switched straight over to. I suspect their system was hacked although they will never admit that.
crossed wires a bit.
I understood that you were seeking recompense for out of pocket expenses incurred. As I said I cannot see the responsibility of BA for something beyond their control.
However if the flight was cancelled and you were unable or unwilling too accept their offer of a later flight then I would expect BA to refund the cost of your flight tickets as they did not provide as per the contract.
I have to agree that I find it quite unsettling that ATC do not have an immediate backup available
If I was in your shoes I would be unhappy at suffering a loss through no fault of my own and would probably feel unlucky at being one of the 70 flights cancelled , and there are times when I book BA flights and separate booking for my accommodation and sometimes I book a package through BA , but in your case you have to look at the cold hard facts
1, the flights were cancelled because of ATC problems , not BA actual fault .
2 . As no suitable flight available you requested a refund , which you got straight away
3. You managed to cancel hotel booking and they charged 75 euros Instead of 180 ( full 2 night charge ) and you didn't mind this as it was in their T&C s they didn't provide you with a service you paid for , but this is ok ??

If I have a flight booked and reach the airport late because of a problem outside my control ( like a crash etc ) who's fault is that ? I miss my flight , do the people who crash compensate me .? Pay my petrol used in my journey that was wasted ( like you think your tube fare should be reimbursed )
I can understand why you're peeved and I would feel the same but it's not BAs fault , they did not provide the flight and refunded you , the service they wanted to provide you with wasn't possible and beyond their control .
Both the hotel and flight suppliers did as they were obliged to which are in the T&Cs you agreed to when booking .
Shame you missed out on Munich , I went there for 2 nights a couple of years ago , fantastic place , loved it , would go there again , I'll make sure I book a BA package though in case of something unlucky happening ;)
My understanding is airlines are never responsible for consequential loses. It's unfortunate but it was an ATC issue not a BA issue that caused the problem why should BA pick up the tab for something that happened with ATC. I think their duty if care ends with the refund of your flight.

If they start picking up all kinds of consequential loses (airport parking, missed hotel nights, transport costs to airports, petrol costs etc) they would either be out of business in no time, or fifty quid would be stuck on the price of every BA flight sold which isn't fair on everyone else.

Maybe take out an Insurance Policy with no excess next time if you wish to fully cover for such like rather than the one you have with your Nationwide Bank Account.

If you had done that you wouldn't be expecting British Airways to cover something that really should be covered by travel insurance if you had a decent policy.

You are trying to get the money out of BA that you saved by having cheap insurance when it wasn't their fault.
it's already been pointed out that you can't blame the airline(s) for this and NATS are going to be compensating the airlines, so, they (airlines) are not going to be losing out financially, due to the glitch in the system, which was totally out of their control.

If you feel strongly about it, then write to the Chief Executive of NATS, requesting that he compensates you for your losses too....after all, the buck has to stop somewhere, and it was his system failure that was responsible for your losses :wink:

Mr Richard Deakin
Chief Executive
NATS
4000 Parkway
Whiteley
Fareham
Hants
PO15 7FL

Email richard.deakin@nats.co.uk
Telephone 01489 616001
Website http://www.nats.co.uk

Sanji x
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.