Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
You will be spoilt for choice for what to do. Let me know where abouts you're staying and I'll try to give some info. The Strip will be really getting busy by then - masses of bars (new end). The old town has loads of bars and some great restaurants, Rock Cafe and the Bank play great live music. Women are pretty much the same as anywhere else in the world :gluck
Cheers for the help man!Not sure what part of the algarve yet but reckon it will be either Albufeira or Praya de Rocha?What would be the best?I have been to Crete,the Canaries and Tenerife before and they are all excellent resorts so hoping for the same with portugal.
I was in albufeira thia June and it was quite busy! Plenty of bars open till early in the morning if thats what your looking for. Also loads of places to eat. The strip is popular with groups of young people aswell as families, there is something for everyone. Ive never been to praye de rocha but id def reccomend albufeira!
Thanks for the info,definitely sounds like a place i wanna go.Was it really hot there?Love the sun so dont mind.Also are the beaches nice?Is there much to do during the day?
Have a look at this thread to see pictures of Albufeira and its beaches. It's hot in June - a great time of year to go. There are lots of things to do such as going to waterparks, zebra safaris, go-karting and boat trips, plus of course eating and drinking in a hugh choice of great restaurants and bars in the Old Town and the newer Strip area.

I'm sure you'll have a great time!
June 7th to June 28th 2008 - Euro 2008 finals so plenty of football on TV in the evenings even if England aren't in it!

June is a good time of year to visit Albufeira, as it outside the main school holiday period and is not quite as crowded as July and August. It was HOT and dry this year and fingers crossed will be next year.

Everywhere is open and you are guaranteed to find somewhere you really like - after some serious on the spot research of course!
It was over 30 degree somedays when we went and was sunny everyday! The week before had apparently rained, but cleared up lovely for when we were there (19th-30th June) Plenty to do in the day as there are places open to go for drinks and the of course the beach which is nice aswell. You could always get the tourist train to the old town and do a spot of shopping as i know you men like to do :lol:
We've been to the Canaries twice and in my opinion Albufeira is better by far. Kiss at the bottom of the strip is a big club with theme nights and foam parties etc. In June this year girls were getting in free but guys were paying, it starts getting good about 3am and goes on til dawn. Word of warning though, large groups of guys who were drunk were being turned away (like most places at home).
Kadoc is even better, huge 7,000 capacity - 5 dance floors - tropical gardens inside, you can spot it miles away with the huge light beams shining up. It's between Albufeira and Vilamoura, you could book a return minibus from a few places on the strip.
On the strip itself you've got Matt's Bar with large screen tv's - ideal for the football during the day and the mechanical bull outside (they have a website). Reno's next door was also heaving in June this year as was La Bamba, Mustangs and Cafe del Mar.
No matter what type of food you like there will be something for you - traditional Portuguese, Indian, Italian, Chinese, Spanish, American, Irish etc etc. For real Brit food try the Cottage or the Geordie Pride near the strip, there's also Erin's Isle at the top of the strip if you want a bit of home from home (Kilkenny etc but obviously more expensive - bacon, cabbage and pots are a great hangover cure)!
The old part of town isn't old anymore it's all been relaid and updated but it's still retained it's character and I love this end of Albufeira. There's a good singer in The Cave and quite a character singing in Casa de Fonte as well as the rock venues in the square.
A bit of advice when you are deciding where to stay, if the hotel says it's ideally situated between the new and old town it could mean a 15-20 min walk in either direction before you get to the centre. You may be better off deciding which end you want your base to be and then could use the tourist train between the two for 3 euros for an all day pass as many times as you like!
We went to Albufeira for a change this year and i'm going back for the fouth time next week. We have already booked for April and June next year and most of the extended family and friends have also decided to make June their first visit.

You'll have a great time and i'm sure you'll get the Albufeira bug.
make sure you have a night in the old town which is only a few euros from the strip in a cab and after a couple of heavy nights on the strip it is a little bit quieter and has some lovely restaurants where you can eat al fresco or inside and down on the front some fab fish restaurants. I was there iMay and we ended up down the old town nearly every night until the wee small hours and we are in our 30s and like a good time. If you like white wine make sure you try the vino verde (green wine) which has a slight fizz - delicious!!!
Have a great time - I love The Algarve :D
hi Flamingo, next time you go to the Algarve try Monte Velho wine much nicer than the Vinho Verde.Cheers Jayjan
thanks jayjan I will not heard of that before :D
Jayjan, :tut :tut STOP IT !!!! :tut :tut If there's any shortage when I'm there next month,we'll know exactly who to blame.
Oh dear that means there will be two of us on the Monte Velho at the weekend, sorry Sagres I forgot about you. Will keep mouth shut in future. :zip Jayjan
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.