Spain - Costa Blanca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Blanca.
Altea
12 Posts
some information here
http://www.infocostablanca.com/uk/l%20altea.htm

was there last week but only to go through ,very nice place as well
there is a market on but unsure what day

very nice beaches although stoney/pebbles

plus your only a mile or so from Albir one way and Calpe the other
spent most of the week on the beach at Calpe ,lovely sandy beach near the Ifach rock
Hi, Altea market is on Tuesdays and is well worth a visit. It isn't as bustling as Benidorm market.

Sue
Thanks to you both. I will be next in the area at the beginning of December and the Tuesday will fall on 6th which is Constitution Day. I assume markets do not open on public holidays? Has anyone been out there for this annual event - does anything in particular happen to celebrate it?
Just wonndering if anyone has been before? is it better or bigger then the benidorm market, also, what number bus goes there, and does it stop beside the market
i went to altea a few years ago when visiting benidorm.
the market is not as big as the beni one, not sure what bus u get but i remember it stopping outside the hotel nereo to get on, the bus stopped right beside the market place.

altea is a nice little place to visit, worth while going
Hi kross ... I have merged your enquiry with this existing thread which mentions the market at Altea.

Some say that Altea market is much better than Benidorm, while others would say that it is just the same old tat, with some traders doing the rounds of various markets. I'm not a fan of markets, so couldn't comment.

The number 10 bus will take you from Benidorm to Altea, stopping close to the market. But as you might expect, the service is exceptionally busy on market days. It starts from the terminus opposite Hotel Madeira Centro on Calle Esperanto, and buses are often full before they reach the next stop on the route.

Timetables can be found by clicking HERE.

David :wave
Hi Kross.
I've been to Altea market and IMO it is more spread out than Benidorm, also the variety of goods on the stalls are somewhat different to the repetitive goods on display in Benidorm.
There is curtain fabric, fruit/veg and hardware stalls that sell just about everything from knives to paella pans...things that you would need everyday in your home, living in Spain...plus the usual clothes and junk

We took the bus from Benidorm and like all markets, the later you go, the busier it gets, but not being all crammed into a small space, it therefore makes it more enjoyable.

The bus number is 10 and you stay on until the terminal, then you have to walk a short way...just follow the crowds
The surrounding mountain scenery is out of this world, you feel like you can touch them...well, I did. :lol:

SanJi x
I'm not suggesting that all market traders work in the same way, but I remember a rep once telling me of one of her holidaymaker's experiences at the Atea Market.

She had selected some item of clothing (I can't remember what) and after a lot of haggling, handed it over to the trader with her cash. When she got back to her hotel in Benidorm, she opened the bag to discover it was not the item of clothing she had picked and handed over to be bagged. Something of much inferior quality had been swapped and bagged below the counter.

The poor rep was getting all the blame, because she had recommended that the lady visit the market. To try and calm her down, she suggested that the woman should pop down to Benidorm Market next morning. where she may well find the same trader and could demand a refund.

Next morning she went down to the market, and sure enough the same man was now plying his trade in Benidorm. The woman gave him a piece of her mind and demanded a refund which he refused, but told her to pick something else instead from his display. She selected something of much better quality than the original product and at a higher price too, which he bagged for her and sent her off with his apologies, without taking any extra money from her.

The woman was delighted until she got back to her hotel and opened the bag, only to discover that he had performed the same sting for a second time, and she still had the same damaged goods which she bought the previous day at Altea.

Needless to say, the poor rep got it in the neck once again !!

David :wave
I must admit David, that I am not a fan of markets.....I think that once you've seen one, then you have seen them all, and unless I was specifically wanting something that I couldn't find in the shops in the resort, then I no longer drag Mr Sanji, hot and bothered and bending my ear hole around markets anymore.
We never argue on holiday, but take him to a market which he is totally disinterested in, plus the crowds and heat, and it becomes a sure fire recipe for disaster.

I could have said many times before on this forum"¦remarks like "don't bother, it's not worth the hassle", but, I would sound like an old sour puss....as if !!!! :rofl
You can find most of the goods in the resort shops at a small "mark up" price of a few centimos or euros .and that to me is not worth having a good day, turn a fractious, high blood pressure male, into giving me the verbal for hours afterwards

A lot of times, Tour Operators, their reps and other publications exaggerate and promote an event that is nothing more than a Mediteranean jumble sale, with gullible tourists walking around ready for the "taking" by unscrupulous, conniving :swear

I also love the contents of my handbag and purse too much. :wink:
If you like markets and crowds, then go for it... it's just not for me anymore....been there and got the T shirt....and the T Shirt turned out to be a fake.!

SanJi x
The market in Calpe is much better than the one in Benidorm.
It's held is the street and there are true bargains to be had.

My daughter who incidently is rather fussy, as most 12 year olds are :) bought some really nice jeans for only 5 euro's I couldn't believe it when she said "I like them mum" I instantly coughed up the money before she changed her mind and she's worn them quite a lot since.

I think that it's held on a Saturday, I.M.O. well worth a morning out.

Sue :)
We spent a day in Altea in May. Not market day however. The town is very nice and the old town is worth looking into. Excellent restuarants, although a bit on the expensive side. A bit quiet for us :?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.