Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
I've not been to Altinkum but I used to live in Bodrum/Gumbet so I can help you there :)

As you are not bothered about the beach you could stay in Bodrum, you have the castle, the amphitheatre and the Mausoleum of Halikarnassus on you door step for the history and you also have a great choice of bars and restuarants and lots of little streets to wander around. One of the great things about staying in Bodrum is that from there the whole of the Bodrum peninsula is easily accessible by dolmus, you can visit all the different resorts and villages and nowhere is further than 30 minutes.

If you were to stay in Gumbet you would also have a good choice of bars and restaurants and the bus to Bodrum just takes 10 minutes. You have the beach there of course too and even if you don't like lying on the beach much there is a good choice of watersports should your boys like that.

There is some good cheap self catering accomodation in Gumbet, the Seray Class Apartments have 2 bedroomed apartments: http://www.serayclass.com/ they are nice apartments behind the beach and about 5 monutes from the resort centre but still fairly quiet.

I hope this helps, if you want to know anything else just ask.

Kedi
Thanks for your advice Kedi. I think we are inclining more towards Bodrum / Gumbet now. I like the sound of Bodrum better than Gumbet, but the better value / better reviewed accomodation seems to be in Gumbet.
I've looked at the Seray Class, and it certainly gets good reviews so it is definately a possibility. Another place I'm considering is the Dost Apartments - only 2 star, but good reviews. Only 1 bedroom, but at the prices I'm seeing online, we could book 2 apartments for less than the Seray Class (once I factor in air conditioning, which is very pricey at Seray) The kids will be 17 & 15 by then so I think we could trust them (famous last words!) as they would only be using 2nd apt to sleep in anyway and would be with us the rest of the time. Also, not a deal breaker, the Dost looks like it has better balcony space.
What do you think, I'd value your advice
Thanks
Carol
Dost apartments are very nice. They are pretty small and basic but clean and a lot of people return there time after time as they love the apartments and the staff are very good there. They are about 5 minutes from the centre of the resort and to the beach, so in a good position.

If 2 apartments at Dost works out better value then I would say go for it, you will get as much room or more with 2 small apartments as with a 2 bedroomed one anyway. you can always email the hotel and request 2 apartments next to each other too.
Thanks for your help Kedi.
I've found 1 more option to consider before I make a booking - a 2 bedroom private rental at a good price at a place called the Arte Residence. Do you know it? I'm waiting for a reply from the owner with the answers to a few questions, but an unbiased view is always good. Do you, or anyone else reading this, know where it is or anything else about it? The ad says it is 10 mins walk from Bodrum centre, which sounds fine. However, I found a different advertiser saying it was beside Bodrum hospital. I can see 3 hospitals on google maps and if it is the one on on the far side of a dual carriage way I'm thinking it might be a bit too far out.
Thanks
Carol
Yes, I know where it is, we had a friend who lived there for a while. The apartments are nice but they are a bit out of the way. They are up near the Bodrum public hospital and that is the one over the dual carriageway. I'm not sure you could walk into Bodrum in 10 minutes but there is a bus that goes right past on its way up to the hospital.

Kedi
kedi
would the queen resort be agood choice for the couple enquiring about self catering
long time no hear did you enjoy your last holiday it would be nice to hear from you
tony
We had a great holiday thanks Tony, and we are going back to Gumbet in 2 weeks :) How was your holiday?
Just checked Queen Resort - apartments don't sleep 4 so not an option (booking 2 apts would be too far over budget).
But, after some dithering, I've made a decision - going for the private rental at Arte Residence. It is a bit further out of the resort than we would ideally like, but if we get fed up walking at least there's the bus. Decided to compromise on location to have luxuries like a washing machine and a toaster!
Hope I've made the right decision - only 10 months to go to find out!
Thanks for your advice.
Carol
It is nice there and although it is a bit far at least you have the bus and there are plenty of taxis too. I'm sure you will have a nice time.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.