Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
Welcome to the forums Lisa. :tup

I haven't stayed in Alvor so can't really help you with the accommodation but we always vist there when we go to the Algarve.

Are you thinking of hiring a car? What do you like to do on holiday?

These questions will help us decide if Alvor is the best resort for you and your family.
Hi Lisa,

My family stayed in Alvor last summer and we had a lovely holiday there. Funnily enough, we are returning this year on the same date as yourself for 2 weeks.

We rented a 2-bed private apartment on the Dunas Do Alvor complex (which is next door to Vila Da Praia) and really liked it...good location, nice pool and a number of reasonably-priced bars and places to eat onsite and nearby, as well as a small supermarket on site which was handy. I believe Thomsons also have some rooms there but I think the private ones are furnished to a better standard....ours was a real home from home with all mod cons provided. We had a look at an apartment at the Vila Da Praia next door and that's also a lovely secure complex with a nice pool area, albeit there didn't seem to be any onsite facilities if that's important. Not aware of any gym facilities at either of these though , but i think there's one at one of the large Pestana hotels closeby. Alternatively, if your other half likes running, I enjoyed a few long morning runs along the beach and dune area, which stretch for miles.

Alvor itself is magical. It's quite rustic in a way, but has a lovely feel to it, particularly at night, with some fab places to dine in or just enjoy a quiet drink by the sea. My kids are 6 and 3 and we felt so safe and at home there.

If you need any more info, i'm more than happy to help if i can.

Thanks

Mark
Hi Lisa,

We have been to Alvor for the past 3 years and have booked to go again in August. It is a lovely spot with a truly beautiful beach and a relaxed atmostphere which is so hard to find these days. We always stay in Dom Joao or the Delfim hotels but the Vila de Praia is in a really great location. It is a short walk to both the beach and the village centre (less than 5 minutes stroll to both) and looks very modern and well kept. Everything you need is very close to these apartment and there are also some really nice bars close by - the Chill Out Bar and the Castos II Bar are just across the road in the Dunas apartments - ideal for families and you will be spoiled for choice when it comes to choosing where to eat!

We love Alvor and would highly recommend it.

Regards

Dee
Hiya, we live in Vila Da Praia,ground floor, August was the worse month for us here, sorry, its like all the Portuguese just appeared, filled the beds, the pool and generally noisy, don't get me wrong its a lovely complex, but that 6 week period convinced us to move, we are moving to Vila Marachique, nice complex,fingers crossed,,,,,,,,,
I would go for Alvor Ria. Its close enough to the beach, right on the marina walk way and also very close to all the mojor restaurants. Second choice would be Dunas followed by Vila da Praia. If you need any contacts for Alvor Ria send me a PM as one of my clients has two places on there and would be happy to put you in touch with her.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.