Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
Ancient Greeks
18 Posts
You could try Crete or Rhodes both have a lot of ancient ruins to look at and both are great islands to stay on
Thanks . What about the Halkidiki area .
ive been to Kos amogst other palces but there is a lot to do with Hippocrates there, you can sit under the same tree that he did, and see the ruin of the worlds first hospitals and the most amazing ruins,. as for really ancient Greece, I think Athens is probably your best bet
Don't know about Halkidiki, but of the islandsthat I've been to:

Rhodes: Lindos, the acropolis; Kamiros (my favourite - a whole town layout); in the medieval old Town of Rhodes the are many excavations of the ancient toen and above the town Monte Smith acropolis; not too much to see at ancient Trianda, but the views are stupendous.

Crete: Mainly Minoan, rather than classical "ancient Greek", but Gortys and Argiroupolis are more classical.

Personally - although I haven't been (its on my to do list!) I would recommend the Peloponnese - excellent beaches and loads of classical and Byzantine sites (and you can go to Athens if you REALLY) want to!)
Why not go to Zante?
From there you can take the ferry either on a 2 day organised trip or DIY to Athens and or Olympia. Plenty of Acient Greek history there me thinks! :wink:
Thanks for the advice . Just got to make our minds up now and book a good deal . Any advice on this !!!
Try Tolon on the mainland.You are near to Epidavrus,Mycenae,Tiryns,Ancient Corinth,Sparta,Athens and many other ancient sites.You are also only a short bus ride from one of the most attractive greek cities,the former capital of Greece,Nafplion.We are returning there again as we did not see all we wanted to see when we first went two years ago.
Hi, I dont know how old your daughter is but when I was younger we did a project on the ancient greeks and a lot og it was based around mythology. Then about 7-8 years later I went to crete and I wish I had had the opportunity to go there when I was younger. The ruins of the minotaur labrinth are amazing and it really brings the story to life. That said this was the only ancient greek type of thing on the island...but still fascinating
Bubblegirl is a little mistaken if she thinks the only ancient site in Crete in at Knossos.There are several sites including Malia,Phaistos and Gournia just to mention a few.
I tend to agree with Hurdler - Tolon was one of the best resorts for visiting spectacular ancient sites and is a pleasant resort to stay in. We also enjoyed Lindos on Rhodes and Kefalos on Kos for a mix of easily accessible ruins and beaches but we went late season, they would be busy in school holidays - it depends what else you are looking for in your holiday.
I probably am mistaken, I went with my father, his girlfriend and a friend of mine when I was 16 (many years ago!!), unfortunately everyone else was more interested in bars and clubs! I only got one day for 'sight seeing' and chose the labrinth!
Thanks for the replies . My daughters are 11 & 13 . We wish to see some old sites and have a normal summer holiday eg beach , sea , sun etc . We are looking AI .
Stoupa in the pelopponese touch of old time greece with a lot of sites within driving distance and for the more adventurous the corinth canal Athens.
Rick.
Crete or Rhodes should fit the bill.
We found lots to see and do on both islands.
Willerby, Rhodes and Crete are both fine, but if you want A/I then Crete will be the better. Look at the Royal Belvedere in Hersonissos as it's handy for most places mentioned and very handy for the beach and the Water Park.

I see that you're from Stanstead area, but I know where to get a cracking price available from Man and LGW. What time of year?
Parky 45 we're looking to go around about 5th Aug for 2 weeks .
If you are, the price would be about £780 each for adults. The brochure is at work, but that's the price I'm paying for 2 weeks, Tuesday flights at 1200.
To get a quote phone 01924 788701. See the thread on Hellenic in "Tour Operators"
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.