Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
To be honest you could take either EC$ or US$.

We have been to Antigua twice and like you stayed at AI hotels. For excursions we used credit cards and for other smaller transactions cash (for taxis, shopping, tips etc). Each time I have just taken US$ which are widely accepted. I'd suggest trying to take small denomination bills if you can. You will also find you will receive EC$ back in change.

Don't forget you will need cash for departure tax when you eventually leave the island. Again you can pay in either currency. I believe it is currently EC$70 or US$28. If paying by US$ at the airport do try to have the correct money to hand over.
Thanks Traveller, that great advice :thanks
We already have in the region of $350 from previous US trips and that's all low denomination bills/coins...will also note the tip about Dept' Tax, knew we had to pay it but good to know about having the correct amount :tup

If you have any other 'Tip's' or advice it would be greatly appreciated...not only is it our 1st time to Antigua, but to the Caribbean on the whole.

Katy x :hols
You're very welcome.

Have you booked a package holiday or a DIY?

We have stayed at both Verandah Resort (last year) and previously at St.James Club (couple of years back). Are you staying at one of those?
Hi again,

We are staying at the Verandah Resort...we have booked a Package this time with Virgin, we got a really good price in a sale they had a couple of weeks back...50% off :tup ...but upon researching I am sure we will be back very soon and I will definately price up DIY...this will be the first package we have done for a few years ( have always done DIY to USA)...it is also our 1st holiday away on our own without the boys :yikes ...

We were very torn between Antigua or St Lucia but went with Antigua in the end as we have known 4 people this year alone who have gone to St Lucia and thought it might be different and I am sure we are not going to be disapointed from what we have read and seen.

I have had a look at the reviews on TA and on the whole they do seem to be very good...there are a few recently that have slated it but these grate on me really as the reviewers don't really give valid reasons for the bad reviews so make you wonder about them really!!!...I have always taken reviews with slight pinch of salt as we will all see things differently...I tend to look for recurring comments.

What did you think of it?

Katy x :wave
Our holiday to the Verandah last year was also booked with Virgin. No problems at all. I think it would have worked out more expensive to DIY as the taxi's are quite expensive in Antigua and we had transfers included.

It's quite a big laid out resort. They actually have electric golf cart type shuttles to ferry you around between reception and rooms. We had two great rooms close to the main swimming pool yet over looking a beautiful bay. Some rooms are away from the main resort activities, but that might suit if you are looking for seclusion.

We did find the meals a little repetitive in the main restaurant after a while but as a buffet there was always something the kid's would eat. Treat yourself at least once to the a'la Carte restaurant (small supplement but we thought worth it).

Kid's made friends quickly and rather than go to the kid's club did there own thing with other kid's in same age group. The beach attendants used to prove popular with the kids as they would have a kick around with a football or start playing cricket with them.

Just outside the hotel gates to the right is a public beach and a Sandal's hotel. Beach got busy at weekends but lovely to walk down. A few tourist type beach shacks down their for souvenirs. Also, to the left and right a couple of little restaurants.

All in all we really enjoyed the holiday and our stay (you are right about TA - take comments with a pinch of salt!)

PM me if you want to know anything more (as we might get told off for going off topic!) :offtop

Hope you have a really great time! :sun2

Have done St.Lucia and Barbados before. Off to Grenada in October :cheers
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.