Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
Not been for many years but it's a lovely island with some cracking beaches and you've picked a great time of year to visit.

Not that much to see and do compared to some of the other islands, but I remember Shirley Heights afforded an excellent view and on Sundays they have the jump up (party) which is good fun.

We also went to Nelsons Dockyard but my lasting impression was of it being overpriced.

A wander round the capital St Johns is nice (we bumped into Judith Chalmers and the Wish You Were Here crew...shows how long ago we were there...) and although we didn't get over there, the east coast is meant to be worth a look with the Devil's Bridge stone arches.

If you haven't gone all-inc be aware that eating and drinking is pricey.

For some good shots of the island, check out Duran Duran's Rio video.
If you can drive- hire a car. There are some stunning beaches to explore. We found the maps a bit out of date but whenever we were stopped and trying to work out where we were a local would always come over and ask if they could help. And they never had ulterior motives :)
I may be in a minority but I got fed up quickly at Shirley Heights and we were stuck there till midnight before our transport returned. I think we just went too early. ( however, we may still have been jetlagged)
Yes we are going AI, would like to go out a couple of days though. What are taxi prices like & do they tend to take you via their relatives gift shop's :wink: or are local buses just as easy to use.
I have also heard a departure tax has to be paid does anyone know about this.
What else ! oh yes what are the airport facilities like i.e. departure area, food & drink etc.
Thanks.
Hi,

I went to Antigua 3 years ago and loved it. I didn't manage to figure out the local buses, but did arrange a private taxi tour for one afternoon. I booked this the day before with the help of my rep (it may be cheaper of you do it independently), and worked out an itinerary in advance, which included Nelson's Dockyard, the Betty Hope Plantation and Devil's Bridge. Shirley Heights wouldn't have cost extra, but I'd already been there a couple of day's earlier. It came to aroud USD75, although I was given a reduction as I was on my own and it was low season. I think the normal price was aroubnd USD100, but if you're dividing this between a small group, then it may work out cheaper than an organised excursion.

Doing it this way means you get to go at your own pace, within reason, and it's usually possible to stop if you see anywhere en route where you want to take fotos /have a coffee etc. And no - there were no unplanned stops at any relatives gift shops etc!

You don't mention where you're staying or who you're flying with, but I was fortunate enough to be staying at a Virgin Check-in-Chill-out hotel, so the departure tax was taken care of before I got to the airport. I don't recall how much it was, but don't think it was extortionate.

The airport - hmm. Have to say it's very near the top of my list of least favourite airports. One advantage is that it's small, so there's not too much walking around to do to get your plane. A disadvantage is that it's small, so if there are a few large planes leaving at a similar time the departure area gets very crowded. If you want /need a seat, grab them when you can and take turns in your group to guard them while the others shop / get coffee! There is somewhere there to buy food and drink (I think it's upstairs from the main departure lounge), but as I didn't use it couldn't comment on choice or prices.

Hope this is of some help. Enjoy your hols :cheers

A.
We are going mid Jan and it will be our fourth visit. There isn't lots to do we go to chill out read and swim and laze about. Having said that the beaches are spectacular and a trip to Nelsons Dockyard while there close by is Galleon Bay with a superb on the beach restaurant for a superb lunch and glass of wine or two.Then there is half moon bay a splendid picturesque beach and snorkelling opportunity. St Johns the capital is "interesting" and very lively depending on the number of cruise ships docked for the day.A meal at Hemingways is an absolute must, get a balcony seat and watch all the goings on below. Best to book. Car hire is best option to get the most out of your holiday,they drive same side as we do and they aren't bad drivers and it's not busy outside of "rush hour". Last but not least to do is a circumnavigation of the island on a catamaran, snorkelling, lunch and drinks.
Unfortunately we are only going for a week ( staying at The Golden Pineapple, Long Bay ), so time will be limited & obviously want to make the most of the AI. Hiring a car for a day or two sounds good though, does any one have ideas where to get one / price etc.
One other thing, what is the general rule on tipping especially for Hotel Staff etc.

D.
There is a web site http://www.definitivecaribbean.com which is very useful. Select Antigua then car hire and you will see they recommend Thrifty car hire and if you use this site to access Thrifty you get an additional 5% discount. I have used them every time without any problems. I hire a 4x4 it's about 55$ a day. Hope this helps.
David,

We have just returned from the Grand Pineapple Beach in Long Bay. I have reviewed the hotel here http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/

Let me know if you have any questions

Cheers

Keith
I know this is the proverbial how long is a piece of string question but, how much spending money ( have been advised to take US Dollars ) would anyone suggest is needed for a weeks stay. This would be for a couple of meals / drinks etc. outside the ( A1 ) resort, a couple of taxi trips & or maybe a days car hire. Also what is the usual policy with regards tipping the hotel staff.

D.
David H.,

It's a difficult one to say but I don't remember the prices being particularly steep the last time I was there. Assuming you're staying All Inclusive with you saying a couple of meals / drink, depending on what you do, maybe £400-500 between you. But it depends where you want to go.

Darren
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.