Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
Some details of the surrounding area can be found on http://www.dreamofgreece.com in the mainland section for Epirus and include Parga, Peramo, Igoumenitsa, Zagoria, Nekromanteio, Dodoni, Ioannina, Aristi, and Konitsa. Cars can be booked at local travel agents such as http://www.sivotatravel.gr/index.htm but car hire on the Greek mainland is usually more expensive than on the islands.
We visited Sivota on our trip to Parga last year and some of the trips we did from there could just as easily be done from Sivota, as it's only about 40 minutes away. My trip report was on this link, towards the bottom of the page, and might give you some ideas.

http://www.zorbas.de/scripts/punbb-1.0.1/viewtopic.php?id=378&p=2

We picked a car up while we were there, I think we paid about £20 to £25 a day for a small car. We've never had problems with Kosmar's accommodation and I'd be interested to hear back about these, as we've considered going there.
We Stayed at Panorama two years ago and i must admit the appartments are the best we have ever stayed in, all the balconys have a great view,the pool is only small but very clean. The owners are very friendly i hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

The walk up to the appartments is quite steep but not very long you will not forget anything twice!!!! must admit after a few drinks of an evening i never remembered the climb up. Sivota is a lovely place and if you head off out of the village for about 20 min walk you will come across two lovely beaches with sunbeds for hire and Taverna.

Have a great holiday and no doubt you will meet ANDREAS you will know him when you go for one drink and he will ply you with freebies .

Sorted
Sorry meant to add this web site for you plenty of information on Sivota

http://www.backpackingreece.50megs.com

Just click on Sivota this will help also as far as hire car etc

Sorted
We stayed at the Panorama for two weeks in July/August 2003 - it was superb. Kosmar does it no favours - far, far superior to their photos and description, best apartments we have ever stayed in. Sivota itself is great, not too busy but plenty to do and see, 2 weeks is not long enough. Strangely enough, we had a family vote for next year and our 3 teenage boys all said "back to Sivota and we must stay at the Panorama" so I have booked 2006 today. Think that says it all! I have pictures of rooms/view from terrace/pool if you want a sneaky preview. You will not be disappointed.
I'm taking the family to Sivota on the mainland for 2wks in July and wonder if anyone has any suggestions for places to go, things to do, etc.....
Hi Trashcanman,
Hubs and I have also booked the Panorama for 2006 after looking at all the great replies you recieved. Perhaps you could give us your feedback when you`ve returned.
Happy hols! :D :D :D
p.s. only 5 weeks to Paros can`t wait :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thanks everyone for the advice!

I certainly will let you have some feedback/recommendations Looby Loo - I booked our trip way in advance just like you so the waiting is getting harder and harder - espcially when everyone else seems to be going off before me!!

At least when everyone else gets back they'll be jealous of me :lol:
I have just booked to go to Sivota with Olympic on Sept 4th. I have been to many of the Greek islands but this will be the first time here. I am travelling alone and plan to hire a moped for a few days to zip around to Parga and Lefkas end explore the coves and get off the beaten track a bit.

I also plan to go to Meteora (I think it takes a couple of days)

Has anyone been on this trip, and any advice on what to wear etc?
Will I need proper walking boots and how hot/cold does it get?
Do you recommend a travel company rather than booking thru the rep?

Where can I hire a moped (I hear it is very quiet so will I have to hire in Parga)
Any places a MUST to visit?
Finally, has anyone been to the Mourtemeno Hotel/Apts?

Thanks
:?:
Does anyone have any photographs of the Panorama Apartments that they have posted to another site or that they would be happy to email me?

I am going with my family in the middle of August.

Excited? You bet!
:D
Hi Dad d mole,
Have a look on http://www.flickr.com and type in sivota to search. There are a couple of photos on there :D
Sivota is one of only two places I go back to time and time again - I love it there - and always stay at the Panorama appts. Obviously the saving grace of the steep climb and plethora of steps is the view - and sitting on your balcony with an early evening drink befrore going out to dinner the view is breathtaking.

Sivota has the most gorgeous sunsets - so gorgeous that pictures I have taken of it have won prizes!!.

A couple more must do's for your trip - hire a small boat for a couple of days and go off around the islands finding beaches just for you but make sure you lift the motor before you go over the ford - it is really embarrassing if you don't!

And take a proper boat trip to Paxos and Anti-Paxos - a really good day out - and the beach they take you to on Anti-Paxos has white talcum powder sand and the most turquoise sea you will ever have seen.

Have a lovely time I wish I was coming with you.

Maddi
Looby loo

Thanks for the link to the photo site - it looks great!!

Noel

The Dad-D Mole tag is one my kids gave me because it rythmes.
Hi all
stayed at the panorama with Kosmar a couple of summers ago. The apartments were fine. We got the one right at the top with the balcony like a dance floor. The payback was the smallest bathroom on Greece! but hey you're only in there a short time.
We were put off going back by the building of a water park next to our favourite beach across the bay although the beach itself was wonderful with Girogo's taverna serving lovley food in a friendly atmosphere. His da runs a taverna on Mega Ammos beach which mirrored the food and friendliness. The place itself was excellent for a holiday but when we hired a boat the outboard motor spent more time out of the water with the choppy conditions and my travelling companions cut the trip short.

The only fly in the ointment came at the end of the holiday. We'd got on well with the owners at Panorama and spent time talking to them however, at the reps invitation, we started showering to go home using the shower behind the bar and as the third of our party was shampooed and soaped up the husband turned the water off. She and my wife (yes I'd had mine successfully!!) had to use the shower by the poolside with no changing area.
I can fully understand that he didn't want us to use it BUT the Kosmar rep. told us that was the norm.
If you have problems keeping your room (and I confess I don't know the flight times this year but we left around 8pm) maybe the direct approach to the owners for a shower might work.

If it's not grown too much you'll enjoy it.
Anyone going early June look out for the "Γιορτή" in the big square near the church. I cannot remember which festival it is but there was live music and a big BBQ with loads of atmosphere. All the village turned out for it and it went on LATE!

Enjoy
OOOh Greekofile, you`ve got me all excited again, only 16 days to go.
Can you tell me exactly how close the water park is, I didn`t expect there to be anything like that nearby as from everything that I have read, I assumed it to be quiet.
From the Panorama by boat across the bay five minutes. By foot 15 minutes or so. But coming bcak.Well! the last hundred yards takes as long as the rest it's uphill but worth it.
The water park was only under construction when we went so anyone who has been in the last 24 months would have a better idea of what it is like.
Enjoy.
Forgot to say. The food was good wherever but you'll find your favourite.
One place I liked was a short walk from the front towards the church. On your left hand side is a small grill bar. Nothing fancy just chargrilled meats and some of the tastiest meat I've had in Greece. The quality was super.
If you like a change the pizza restaurant was good but one is enough between two. (yes I did try it one night when I fancied a light meal.what a mistake it was huge.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.