Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
Hi seagull

I was there in 2006 and had a great time. Is there anything specific that you'd like to know?

Claire
Hi Seagull

If you do a search for Margarita you'll find lots of info ;)

Pippy :)
were looking for an (possible) alternative to Tobago. Been told today that the food is not very good!!! :(
I haven't been to Tobago so couldn't comment on how the two compare. We stayed in at the Dunes Hotel in the town of Playa Puerto Cruz. We had no complaints with the hotel, the facilities and food/drinks were good and although not particularly what I would consider 4* standard the rooms were ok. The hotel really was in the middle of no where though and I think this may be the case with a lot of hotels offered by First Choice from the UK. The main tourist town where most of the action is seems to be Playa el Agua.

The beaches around the island were clean but not stunning as you would get in some other parts of the Caribbean and the sea was too rough to swim in (we went in October).

The reps advise you not to leave the hotel for safety reasons and hotel staff seemed overly concerned when we mentioned venturing out of the hotel. We took a taxi to the capital of Polarmar and a near by town called Juan Griego and whilst we were never threatened in any way we did feel a little uncomfortable walking about alone, but maybe this was just because of the warnings we had received. This did leave us feeling a bit confined to the hotel which we didn't particularly like. Taxi's, food and drinks and shopping were all very reasonable.

For us the highlight of the holiday and main reason for going to Margarita in the first place was a 2 day/1 night trip to the mainland to stay in the Orinoco delta, fly over Angel Falls and visit Canaima National Park which was just an amazing experience that we will never forget.
I've been to Margarita twice and am looking to go again later on this year, stayed at the LTI Costa Caribe and Hesperia El Agua. Had 2 fantastic holidays and have since been to Cuba and Mexico and didn't find them to be as enjoyable.
We ventured out of the hotels many times in taxis, they're so cheap and the drivers are top class (one even asked if we would like him to walk around Central Porlamar with us, so when we bought something we got the local price not the tourist price!!)
Stayed in the Dunes last October. It was ok. I wouldn't go back because there's so many other places to see but I don't regret going at all. The island is a bit dirty, the beach at the Dunes was gorgeous though. Did the 2 day Angel Falls trip, well worth it, expreience of a lifetime!
Did the 2 day Angel Falls trip, well worth it, expreience of a lifetime!

Thinking of taking a trip to Margarita, and this trip would be high on my list, could i be rude and ask

What sort of prices are you looking at?

Do you book through the Holiday reps or locally in resort?

When is best time of year to holiday in Margarita (is there a hurricane season to avoid)?

GM06
Ian
I can't really remember how much we paid.. I think it was maybe 250 pounds? Again, well worth the money though. We booked through First Choice Rep at the Dunes, we felt safter that way, however many people booked through Marcos Tours and did roughly the same trip (however i think our lodge was better in the jungle).

Any other questions, please ask!
goan mad 2006 wrote:
Thinking of taking a trip to Margarita, and this trip would be high on my list

More on that HERE ;)

Pippy :)
We booked the trip locally through Marcos Tours. It cost about £200 but that was a couple of years ago. http://www.marcostours.com/

Margarita is outside of the hurricane belt and I understand there isn't much variation in the weather all year. We went in October and it was extremely hot.
I've also been twice. First time staying at the Costa Caribe, Fantastic holiday but a lot of people were ill (including myself). Second time we stayed at Laguna Mar. Lovely & quiet, loads of room as the hotel is so big. Food was adequate but not spectacular.

I would also recommend the Orinoco Delta trip and/or the trip to Los Roques. They don't really make a fuss over the Los Roques trip & when we went our rep (Justin) said in all the years he's been there he hasn't known anyone to book this trip.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.