General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
:yikes :yikes Looks like it could be fun for some. Just not me. :rofl
Don't tell your insurance company where you're going!! Spectacular views but a parachute would come in useful just in case on that trip. At least they had safety lines and were clipped in, or at least those without the camera did anyway :yikes

Darren
:really No way!!!!!

Hats off to anyone who could / does/has done that - especially whist holding a video camera!!!
But it would never be me.

Fabulous scenery shots too!

Thanks for the link Can't. :)
OMG! I had to turn it off, it was making my legs go all funny......eeek, must be brave, anyone who goes up there. Thanks for the link, Linda.
Got vertigo just watching, thats some walk.

Patka
Oh me too Linda. Made my stomach church and legs go wobbly!!!!!
My goodness - brilliant view - nut never. I felt sick just watching it.
Anybody who fancies the walk, its near malaga, spain.

i wouldn't do it.
That's just mad! I feel all wobbly! Thanks for the link.
i have just watched that.......jeez.......my heart was beating fast and my legs went to jelly just watching...

hope hubby doesnt see it, that would appeal to him :que

thankyou!
Parts of it look :yikes A bit of me says I would love to try it. But if I got there, I would probably back out and say I couldn't do it
There are loads of videos on the web (tube) showing the lunatics who do this route, After several deaths the Andalucian government officially closed it and blocked access to it, but the lunatics sneak onto the route by the side of the railway line....some abseil/paraglide down the gorge.

This particular video is probably better than most of the others on the web and he probably has some form of stabilizer or counter-weight on the camcorder to keep it from shaking about, and it's strapped to the body, others have the camcorder fixed on a helmet on the top of their heads to leave their hands free.

The dams/reservoirs above the gorge supply most of Málaga province's water and it's called "El Camino del Rey" (the path of the king) because it's reported that the king Alfonso X111 took that route when he officially opened the dam in 1921.

There was talk of the Andalucian government spending millions of euros on it, to restore the route, I can't see that happening myself because it will attract further ill equipped tourists to take death defying risks for a mental/physical thrill"¦and sadly probably future deaths.

What I find amazing about this place is the fact that man built it and every stone would have been moved by men and donkeys around 1900"¦..some achievement.

I got stuck in the Sierra Helada mountain range on the Costa Blanca during March, nothing on the scale of this, but never the less there was a sheer drop into the sea and not much more footpath in front.
I won't be doing anything like that again in a hurry and even though I will be in Málaga province next week, I think I'll give the rock climbers region "El Churro" a miss"¦.the Camino (path) is near Álora.

I mean, just look at this woman"¦ no rock climbers gear, no helmet, nothing and attempting a route like this totally ill equipped, probably means she had no experience or sense......I hope she had a good insurance policy. :que

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/el-camino-del-rey-kings-trail/2741956673

Sanjiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Edit:Typo error
  • Edited by Sanji 2008-06-02 15:16:31
I'll have to ask my OH if he was stupid enough to walk this path as I know he spent some time climbing El Chorro a few years ago. Mountain climbers and Rock Climbers are a breed apart most are obsessed with the sport. I have been married to one for the last 40 years, in fact he is probably clinging to a rock face somewhere in the Alps at this minute. :(
Hubby just came in, he said he did the walk a couple of times, he can't remember it being quite as broken up as in the Video and he said that as there is a fixed rope a lot of the way it wasn't that dangerous. Well even with ten fixed ropes I wouldn't attempt it. :rofl
:yikes :yikes :yikes. I felt sick watching this, my daughter only it watched 30 seconds and couldnt bear it anymore.

I think we will stick to the hotel pool for our mother/daughter bonding time :rofl :rofl
I'm sure my SIL would love this. He's always up for a challenge. He likes things like sky diving, white water rafting, hot air ballooning etc. I'm not saying he'd be daft enough to do it,but he would definitely admire those that do.
I admire anybody who can do something that I don't have to guts to do and I suppose there is a definition on those who I referred to, as "lunatics".

It's a very dangerous and unsafe place, but I can see the attraction for those wanting a challenge, just as long as they have some experience and follow/take all the safety precautions that serious rock/mountain climbers take"¦things like the proper safety gear, extra rations in case they get stuck, warm clothing just in case the weather turns for the worse, and low cloud can quickly descend within minutes in the mountainous regions of Spain and obscure the view in a gorge.

The lunatics are the people like that woman in the video and the tourists who set out on this path with none of the items mentioned above, in fact many are tourists who have no experience at all, they are not wearing the correct shoes or have let anybody know what they are going to do that day, they set off with the sun shining, the feel good factor and nothing else"¦.it's sheer madness to embark on a path like this, which is literally crumbling under your feet and it was never constructed for the public in the first place.....it was constructed for the workers of the dams to shift raw materials between the projects.

The other alternative would be for a private company to restore the route and make it "safe" with handrails etc and then charge people to do the walk, now that would be the best thing and then I'd love to do it for the spectacular views, but it's going to take quite a few millions of euros to fix it, and it would take a considerable length of time to recuperate the cost of the project in ticket revenue (if you ever could ?)"¦.and all the time the route will be disintegrating once again with people pounding the path.
IMO:Not a very good business venture for anyone to undergo.
aaahhhh that was the nearest i will ever get to doing that walk. my feet were buzzing as i watched it . vertigo or what. when the broken holes appeared i could only think that the next step could have ended in the same way only this time it would have been her foot dangling through to the water. methinks i stay on low dry land teehee. :yikes
Ahhh the delights of El Churro gorge.....
Thomson have added this to their excursions for 2008......not the walk "El Camino del Rey", but a trip out for the day.
briefly, you get picked up via coach and I presume you'll pick up at other hotels en route to malaga railway station and board the scenic train to El Churro, which crosses/passes through the gorge, then you have lunch somewhere and have a short time in El Churro village, then a coach trip around the dams and lakes, which is a kind of "lake district" on the costa del sol....price 49 euros each.

This is new for 2008 and it's ironic that we have been talking about the area, a few days before I came here.

Sanjiiiiiiiiiiiii
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.