Caribbean - Cuba Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Cuba
Hi Puddleduck,

Most tours of Cuba are actually provided by Havanatour rather than directly by the big TOs - for example I booked with Escape but once in Cuba was entirely in the hands of Havantour's guides. It would be worth cotnacting First Choice to check whether they organise and staff their tours direct or whether they sub-contract them out to either Havantour or Cubanacan/Cubatour. I wouldm't let yourself be put off by the fact that the tour itself might be sub-contracted to a local Government-owned agency. The staff will speak excellent English and take very good care of you. And the fact that both main agency's are owned by the Government means that if something goes wrong the staff of the other agency will do everything thay can to help. There was only one hitch on my trip - the bus due to pick me up from my hotel in Varadero and take me back to Havana airport on the way home never arrived. I was having problems getting through to the Havanatour rep on the phone and the lovely lady on the Cubatour desk in the hotel sorted everything out for me - end of problem.

Both myself and Corinne have posted info into the 'Cuba' thread on tours that we each did. The itineraries were slightly different and on the whole you are in the hands of the local agency as to which hotels they use. On my tour I stayed in a quite varied range from a Cuban 3* to one that easily warranted 5* anywhere in the world. Part of the charm to me but not to everyody's taste. If you want to check out my reviews of the hotels I stayed in then they were:

Sevilla, Havana,

Grand Hotel, Trinidad

Moka Hotel, Las Terazzas

El Bosque, Holguin,

Sol Melia Santiago, Santiago

Villa Cuba, Varedero

As for group size I was told to expect 12-15 by Escape but was in a group of 4 for my first week and a group of 1 (ie just me!) in my second week. Excellent eprsonal service with a driver and guide in comfy people carriers.

SM
Thanks SM.
We're planning on staying the Iberostar Varadero the second week as it sounds fab and I'm impressed with the number of sports that are included free -keeps the hubby out of mischief whilst I relax on my lounger with a cocktail ;)
Hi Puddleduck,

Is this your first time to Cuba? And what's your itinerary? Have they given you any info on which hotels you'll be staying in?

I huge Cubaphile and a tour of Cuba is definitely an experience - enjoy!

SM
Hi SM,

On the tour we have 3 days in Havana with siteseeing trips each day (various museums, Vinales Valley) staying in the Tryp Habana Libre, moving onto Sancti Spiritus staying at the Rancho Ha (which I see from reviews is not terribly good, but it is only one night!), then Trinidad (Brisas Trindad del Mar Hotel) and finally Cienfuegos - there's no hotel mentioned in the brochure but I see from a TA review of someone who just did the tour last month it's the Jagua hotel.
Our second week is being spent at the Iberosar Varadero.

I really can't wait!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.