General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
I've not heard anything either. I would imagine the article will appear when the time is right and makes it newsworthy.

Darren
I had a call from my credit card company 1 week ago that someone had tried to use my card,the last time I used it was in the UK September 08.This is the 3rd such cloning of my card in as many years.Another cut up and start again,like Darren mine is only used in dire emergencies you cannot beat good old cash.
Well it finally made it to the paper! One slight error, it was $800 Canadian (about £360 at that time) not £800 (even I would flinch at paying that for hockey tickets)!
Banking with Lloyds TSB I have a text alert every time my card is used abroad. When we were in Benidorm at Easter, I used it to withdraw £200 from the cashpoint. I had the text alert before I'd even put the cash in my purse - brilliant idea.
I only used my Nationwide debit card once on holiday this year, at the Co-op bank ATM in Limassol Town. I withdrew the money and it returned my card. As I wanted a statement I re-entered my card. The screen came up with 'card withheld at issuers request' . As the bank was open I was about to go in but I pressed the cancel button a couple of times and hey presto my card was returned. Far from an ideal situation.
Barclaycard have a number you can call to notigy them that you are not in your normal area nad on holiday. It came through the post last week. 0844 8119091
debit and credit cards you need to inform your bank or credit card company the dates you will be out of the country and where you will be visiting or any transaction will be treated as potential fr@ud and the card will be frozen.
Unfortunately informing the banks isn't foolproof. The newspapers have been full of stories recently about customers who have informed their banks and still had their cards frozen. But it's still probably a good thing to let the bank know where you are going..
Wasnt really on Holiday, but this happened to me while in the uk, and my own computer

Having just returned form Italy, I have had a lovely two weeks holiday, and to add to my holiday, I got to see U2 in concert in Milan on 8 July

The tickets went on sale 20 March, from the Italian ticket web site, similar to the one which we use in the uk, by the time it came to my ticket no to purchase tickets, many of the tickets were gone, only expensive tickets were left, seating, plus redzone, right next to the stage

One of my credit card, I had just used to buy my tickets for hampden park, on 18 aug, but when i tried the next day to buy tickets for the san siro on 8 July, my card was blocked, I ahd another 3 card which I could try with, but all of these were blocked, I am now left with my bank card, which also is credit card, this one goes through.

The next day I have to phone the credit card companies, and make my feelings known, especially the one which I had used previously to buy tickets at hampden park, according to the card company they thought fraudluant transaction were going on, so they blocked my card
Well it happened again this year. Second day in Chicago and the restaurant I was in refused the card! Luckily I had another card that was OK (but not with such a good rate and a bigger fee)! Next morning I phoned the bank to be told that there had been dodgy activity on the card. I didn't recognise the name nor the amount (although if they could have given me it in dollars I might have recalled who it was). Anyway next day I had a bus tour booked, I was checking the paperwork when I noticed in small print at the bottom that the company traded under a different name to the header of the paperwork, this was the mystery activity! Panicking that the bus would not show up and I would be left with 15 sulky teenagers I rang the company. They were pretty cool about it (in fact the bus pulled up outside the hostel as I was on the phone). The boss told me that he wasn't worried about the glitch. Next day I got through to the bank again and got them to unblock the card.
  • Edited by Hi De Hi 2009-10-09 21:23:44
I had a panic moment in Austria last month.

Went to the only bank in the village. They had a machine in the wall outside with the standard bright green and blue Bankomat sign on it, unfortunately the screen was showing "Out of Service". Through the window I could see another built into the designer woodwork of the bank so went in. It had a Visa logo on the side so I put my Nationwide Debit card in and it happily offered me English, then asked for and verified the PIN and then asked how much I wanted. And then it said the card was not valid for international use!! As this was the first foreign outing of this particular card and the previous weeks Italian transactions would have just gone through I phoned NW to see what was wrong. Nothing they said, can't see any problem.

In fact the problem was in the software at the bank. It had wrongly translated an error message, what it should have said was that machine could not be used with international cards. Once the main machine came back on everything was OK.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.