America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
Hi yep i am back, wrote an essay of course :D and i didnt get lost to often on east and west streets :yikes Back just now so will do a write up properly, but washing calls :tup See you soon for my epic and minus 7 temps!!

Michelle x
We left the Uk on the 9th february for a week in the big apple, basically for mine and hubbys 20 wedding anniversary on the 13th, and valentines day.We had a great flight through Virgin, got there early so paid £25 each for exit seats, they were on offer bogof offer. Good flight and service. Landed into JFK and queued up to have passports checked and prints taken and iris. Cilla battersby was behind us in the queue and was in ecomony. Fetched the cases ok and proceeded to have passports checked again and the white family forms we filled in on the plane. Security man very rude and aggressive to me, demanded to know where my form was, i told him it was at the desk we went to in passport control, he didnt believe me and said open my bag out in the middle of the floor with cilla looking on, and me holding the queue up :que I have never felt so embarrassed! The man told me his staff knew what they were doing and that i was lying, he frog marched us up to passport control and there was my card as i had already told him, no apology, but said hey s hi t happens! He then marched us back, and said enjoy your stay. All this took half an hour!

Once through we found the virgin rep and proceeded to the taxi van to take us and other couples to our hotels. I will add the link to my hotel review at the end, for those who are interested.

We arrived in very cold but sunny weather, checked in, then proceeded to get a good map of the manhatten area etc. We used the ESB as a focus point and walked up to central park, had a ride on the horse and cart around a bit of the park $40 (£20), it was very busy. We went around the Ipod shop, bought two bikinis £150 from bloomingdales, oh and a little brown bag for £18 for my daughter. What was soooooooooooo funny was a rather well to do lady spoke to me whilst waiting to be served, she was american. She asked me how bloomingdales compared to Harrods(as its the equivelent shop in usa), i said well its similar, but Harrods has wonderful people in it, i told her i had dinner with Al fayed the other day and he might want shares in bloomingdales, she said really, such a charming man, i said yes he is, but he sent me to bloomingdales to see how the assistants work :D I was really having her on, bless her, but she belived me, i wouldnt mind but i have never been in Harrods in my life :rofl

Anyway, we experienced a day of rain, minus 7 temps in the day, snow 5 inches, and sun and wind. I loved it when it showed. We went up the empire state, but to be truthful it didnt compare to the ROCK (Rockerfellas centre) that was in a class of its own and so high up with a 360 paramanic view and is open, unlike the ESB that is enclosed and has sharp corners. If you havent the time to do both, the rock is far better for views, cheaper and not regimented.

On the monday a little windy, we got a cab to the Liberty heliport to go on a helicopter ride over Manhatten. Wow we loved it and hubby. I cant wait to fly over the grand canyon now :D If you have the money it was a great 15 mins ride all over the status of liberty and all the sites, and the brooklyn bridge. The wait wasnt that long, and every age went on it.
We didnt see the status of liberty as when we were going to go the water was frozen because of the below zero temps, so the boats had to stop, we also didnt do the subways as to be quite honest we bought all the shops out. We ate at loads of delis, and "Andrews" restaurant near macys and Tads the steak place that makes them whilst you watch and wait. I found food generally very good, never went into any burger kings or fast food places, food was cheap everywhere.

On our wedding anniversary we went to Planet hollywood for a meal it was fabulous and great service, but expensive more in line with UK prices. But that said, we ventured into Hard rock cafe, but their food wasnt very good, chips raw, good service though, but very dark. We also went on broadway to see a show, Mamia Mia, we were on row H, and central fabulous for our 20th wedding anniversary treat. The show as fabulous and really funny. Virgin offer these theatre shows, but to be honest its cheaper from the tourist information centres, before you buy them ask for the discount coupons, then proceed to the theatre desk, they ask you were you want to sit. The show that is always sold out there is WICKED. If you want to see it on Broadway, book here in the uk, because it will be virtually impossible to get them there, whilst we were there, the box office said they had sold out for at least 8 weeks. Also legally blonde on broadway was another that was a fast seller.
We actually went to NYC mainly for shopping, so bloomingdales, macys, were my favourite shops with the 11 % discount cards you receiv, DNKY jeans £20 etc, we brought 3 cases back, no problems.

Unfortunately we were there when the two brits got killed by the dumper truck, they were in the hotel around the corner from us, we saw the ambulances and police, very sad, my heart goes out to their families.

To sum up, we tried to get in everything we wanted to go, the highlight for us was the helicopter and the ROCK and seeing a broadway show, we had a great time.

The thing we didnt like was the New yorkers themselves, very rude, never ackknowledge anyone, and half the time couldnt be bothered to serve you. They point at the counter for you to put your goods onto. Although the older generation were very curtious and helpful.

We couldnt get exit seats coming home, as we were late getting to the airport, so for £200 less, we were upgraded to premium ecomony, now thats luxury, never again going to the states in economy now we have been treated fabulous. I felt like royality :cheers

We enjoyed our stay at the 30/30 hotel, and our anniversary.

If there are any questions you would like to ask me, please let me know.

Michelle x

*apologise for any spelling mistakes it is 0435am when writing this essay*

* My review of the 30/30 NYC* - http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/reviews/united-states/new-york/manhatten/thirty-thirty-hotel/
Sounds like you had a great time and all your fears were unfounded. Thanks for the report. :tup
luci :wave
Great, glad you had a good time Michelle. I too favour TOTR over ESB any day of the week.
She was a star of a long running British soap, Coronation Street, which has been running since 1960.

I assume Les Battersby is related somehow? Or is Cilla Battersby the actress' real name (Les Battersby obviously being a character name)?
Yes Cilla Brown (actress Wendi Peters) married Les Battersby (Bruce ?) and became Cilla Battersby-Brown.

They have both left the soap. He was sacked and she left a few months ago. Her soap character went to live in Las Vegas.

Derwentrocker that Harrods story is so funny :rofl
Glad you had a good time. Sounds like you went to NYC for similar reasons that we are. Was the shopping really good then? Sounds like you had a real mixed bag of weather, that's the main thing I'm wondering about, not sure what to pack really :think
I went mainly for the shopping :D I loved Macys with the 11% discount from the reception, DNKY, and Tommy Hilfieger jeans, tops, etc very cheap compared to UK prices, £20 with disc. The navy store which sells clothes but mainly jeans is dirt cheap(well i thought so) around the corner from Macy's. We used to shop in the Navy store in LA and Florida so was really pleased with the one in NYC, jeans a tenner and less.
There is a place in fact very big like TK Maxx but i hate places that bung clothes all over the place and takes yonks to get to wear you want, its on several floors, its called DAFFYS. Sketchers has a sale on, i bought 2 pairs of boots for £15, and hubby bought boots as well.

Helicopter ride well worth the money, and the hi-light of the holidays.

I loved the snow, it was warm when it snowed, but freezing and bitter -7 for 3 days.

I would take a half packed suitcase with a couple of days clothes in it if intending to shop. You can take over two suitcases and two suitcases back if in ecomony 23kg each piece of luggage if i remember right.

Remember though the ROCK up on 57 or 59th street is a lot better than the empire state, on a clear day you can see all the park and the empire street from there, fabulous, and loads of shops underneath it, and it leads out onto the rockerfella stateing rink, which is fun.

Where are you staying at sunaholic?
We're staying at the Renaissance New York Hotel Times Square.
The ROCK is definately on our to do list :)
I really don't know what to take with me, as we're only in New York for 3 days and then going on to Mexico for 11. Weather in March is still unpredictable too, so I'm struggling with what to pack. Any ideas?
Shopping sounds great. Where do you go for the discount card in Macys?
Sunaholic
Hi

The information desk gives you the discount card, the greeters at the store will tell you and guide you to wear it is. Don't shop without it, 11% is very good. For new york a couple of days clothes to pack, and warmer for mexico, i didnt see many summer clothes out there, mainly jeans etc. I did find bikinis that kind of thing. Macy's is like Debenhams, but is the biggest in the world.

In 3 days you will have time to see the Empire state and do the rock, we were lucky being right near the Empire state. We didnt visit the statue of liberty because we got close on the helicopter ride, so apart from the story behind it, we saw it. We never had queues on anything. At the Empire state we did do the virtual ride thing, it was good flying all over new york.
You will find weekends busier if that is when you are going.

Michelle x
Hi Michelle

I really enjoy your trip report. We are off to NY in two weeks and I can't wait for the shopping. Did you go to any of the outlet centres?
Could you recommend any of the restaurants you visited? Or are there any which you wouldn't go back?
Did you use the subway?
Thanks
Good questions zabka, I would really like some recommendations for restaurants!
Thanks Michelle, I will definately get the discount card :tup
I am all sorted for Mexico, got lots of new summer clothes (although I'm sure I could make room for another new bikini ;) ) Am thinking I'll take a few bits for New York so that I can layer and then I'l be alright whatever the weather.
We ate a few times at Tads across from Macy's, they cook steak in front of you, we also liked 'Andrews' which had brilliant shakes. We ate in delis for breakfast, which were really heathly. Also had a brilliant meal in Planey hollywood, but not a very good one in Hard Rock! We tried to eat in typical new york joints but some were filthy, so was a bit fussy :D Thert are alot of eating places, but i tend to go in the ones that have a lot of people in them.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.