Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
ATM UPDATE
30 Posts
Colleen i've just come back from the post office and i was told on about £800 you will be charged £12, so i went into barclays and was told there that if you purchase some euro's £5for example you wont be charged any interest on top of your amount so thats quite good really i can use the euro in the airport before we fly out Llyods are chargeing 1% on top of your money both the banks suggested i take US Dollar cheques which i refused only use sterling travellers cheques...
Abroad I now use a prepaid Mastercard http://www.caxtonfxcard.com/ no fees, good exchange rate and it is the only card that is free with no additional fees when I use Ryanair, bonus :tup
hmmm no nothing bout bank charges or travelers cheques , good job i leave all that to hubbie lol :rofl
I just take cash it's easier, only go for 1 week may not be so good for long stays though :think
i take nothing only meself . lol hubbie pays for all
Marks and Spencers charge 1 percent on sterling tcs so only £10 per £1000.

Please check your your insurance for those of you taking cash most policies only cover a small amount whereas with Tcs you can get replacements usually within 24 hours
Nejulie thank you so much for your advice I rang M&S and they told me yes it will be £10 per £1000. so I will go get them on Monday thanks again ...colleen
sleeps I have just read over your post your right it is £12.00 to have £800 worth of T/chs at the PO so for £1.000 it will cost more money ...Nejulie is right the best place for us all to go now is to M&S..
Colleen..I would have thought that Barclay's was the better bet by buying £5 in euro's you can spend these at the airport which you'll do anyway buying books/mags/drinks whatever then you dont get charged anything on top for your T/Chqs...In march this year we used Barclay's and didnt get charged anything at all on top but it was a bank not close to us so it may be a good idea to go in several different Barclay's.
Thanks Sleeps the thing is I don't think we have a Barclay's bank here in Belfast I will try to find out if we do have one
what happens when you buy the 5 euros what is the charge for them I could use them in Donegal as you know we go there every week any way .
.am I right in saying all it would cost is the price of the 5 euros :que what ever that may be :rofl
Colleen there is 3 barclay's in belfast that i can see.......Well the way the lady explained it to me was buy £5 worth of euro's not sure what the amount they put on for them under a £1 i would think so thats £6 say then the travellers cheques £1,000 so thats £1,006 its cheaper then paying £10 for your £1,000...If your a student you can get them interest free also...
I have a Lloyds account and don't get charged anything for TC. About the only good thing they do for me though!
I too have a Lloyds account but when i asked at my bank they said theres a charge that's why i asked else where why is there a rule for one and not for another.
Ever thought of taking just cash ? I do, it saves all the hassle of cards and travellers cheques and most hotels these days have safety deposit boxes and no extra charges.

Steve
Yes we take a small amount of cash but with travellers cheques we have peace of mind you never know whats round the corner so to speak.
Hope they are not going to charge me then this year. Have just looked on Lloyds internet banking site and it says no charge if you have a debit card.
I dont know if all this is true or not some say we will get charged and some say they have not started to charge yet ..we will just have to wait to we get there and see is it true or not :que colleen
Cash for me too now.

Before they robbed all our money the banks had some half decent deals on overseas cash, cards ATMs etc.

Now they have bankrupted the country and put hundreds of thousands of us out of work they have to come up with ever more creative ways to repair their ravaged balance sheets by robbing us twice.

They will not be getting any cash point or conversion rate robbing fees out of me.

I am more than willing to take the chance on carrying cash and the local cash rates are quite competitive anyway.

Understand it may be different for long termers but for us tweekers no contest.

Forgive my cynicism but cash is always king.

Papa.

Excuse my overuse of the word robbing. Just could not think of a more accurate word.
Norwich and Peterborough are changing their current account from 1st January.

Free ATM withdrawals and currency exchange rate is not loaded.

They will charge a £5 monthly fee if you don't fulfil certain criteria.

This should be fine for anyone using it as their main account rather than just for holidays.

This is a link to a site explaining the account:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/travel/2010/11/new-best-debit-card-for-overseas-spending-launches-in-january
read conflicting reports that atm's in goa are now charging 2-300 rps per withdrawal and that some banks aren't charging at all?

anyone who's there or been this season confirm this?

:tup
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.