Thailand Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Thailand.
The odds are that they'll be lots of protestors on the streets in the coming days as Bangkokians & students are all pretty much all anti-Thaksin. It could get ugly if the coup isn't successful quickly or nothing is resolved one way or another.

Last time this happened was the 1992 coup when quite a few protestors were killed.

Maybe best to avoid the city centre for a while. But outside Bangkok you'll be fine, no problems at all.
Can't get to Thaivisa.com.
Silly of me...but i'd have thought it might have been hosted outside Thailand....
FO advice has not changed at this point. To keep a track of it click
here
Might have been a bit hasty about Thaivisa, just had a mailing list update re: the "coup" but the site's still inaccessible. Probably overloaded.
The 'Party of Democratic Reform' have just broadcast a message on all Thai TV stations saying they are in control of Bangkok and are loyal only to the King.

At the moment this is a very boring, bloodless coup.
And now I can't watch on TV as BBC, CNN & CNBC are all off the air in Thailand. (All Thai TV stations have been off for an hour or so.)
OK, from BBC.

Thaksin's house is occupied.
The "Commission for Demo. Reform" don't want power, but they will govern the country until thre elections are organised. Currently being led by a Lt. Colonel.
The Army and Royal Thai police are arresting Thaksin's close aides and anybody who's taken his side, including other military officers.
Chriss - The best place to look for photos taken tonight , some good ones of tanks outside the palace & govt offices, & latest updates is at
2bangkok.com forum

30 mins later . .

More good photos on this Thai site: The Manager

This publication is run by the businessman who's been organising all the anti-Thaksin protests since January this year.

5 mins later . .

All foreign satellite channels have now gone off the air in Thailand and I'm beginning to worry as Amazon UK have just mailed my Little Britain Series 3 DVD to me and this coup may well delay it's arrival - which would be a real annoyance.

(Looks like that and possibly missing Top Gear on BBC World, unless everythign is sorted out quickly, are going to be the only tales I have to tell from this event.)
I've been keeping an eye on Australian DFAT (same as your Foreign Office) as we are going in 3 weeks. Thailand in general has been downgraded from 'Reconsider your need to travel' to 'High degree of caution'.
The problem areas of the south still remains as Reconsider your need to travel.
Cheers Geri
That Aussie warning is way over the top. The coup had zero effect of any tourists in teh cou ntry other than those in Bangkok & Chiang Mai had the chance to get their photo taken standing next to a tank. The absense of any interesting news or aded danger coming out of the coup can be seen in the fact that it is was well off the front pages less than 48 hours after it happened.

Outside the three southern provinces where there are shootings & bombings regularly, the rest of Thailand is the same as it ever was - probably much safer now as everyone knows who's in charge and all dissent is banned.
Macfarang

I've really enjoyed reading your posts on this thread. It's much more interesting reading an insider's view of the situation than hearing about it on the news. Hope your DVD has arrived safely :D

Please keep us updated :)
The DVD did indeed arrive safely yesterday morning. There's nothing like a coup to improve the efficiency of state run organisations.

You should try it in the UK :wink:

Thai Coups, Just like the airline "Smooth as Silk"
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.