Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Sorry Elaine, cant help there as we have always gone A I for the very reason you mention(starving :wink: ) at least that wont happen if its all paid for.
There is a guy who lives and runs an hotel out there (swissinai) so hopefully he will see your post and advise you :)
Hi you dint say where you are staying but i been to sharm 5 times and is so cheap to eat out and mac d very cheap about £2 for a meal depends on what you have
Hi, We are staying at the Hilton sharm dreams. As my kids are fairly old 11 and 16 they are eating adult portions which doesn't do the bank balance any favours!! :bawl
Meals are very cheap to eat out. In restaurants it was about £15 for two of us for 3 courses and all drinks. HRC was a lot more dearer, and i ate steak for nearly two weeks. Egypt rates are good at moment, i got £10.00 Egyptians pounds to our pound. So in resort it will be better. Only bought a hundred quid worth though.

All food prices in hotels are displayed on the bill boards before you even go in the restaurant, so you can see how expensive they are. Egypt is very cheap to eat.
large pizza in Pizza hut is around 45 EGP... watch out as some menus have 12% tax to add on.

Mc D is cheap... but not for me.... as is KFC>

Hard rock is about half teh price of UK or less.

Local restaurants and snack bars vary but you can eat well for around 70 EGP per person....including drinks

A really cheap and tasty meal is falafel and fuul.... chick pea patties, in flat bread and salad, around 20p each!!!!!

Prices are displayed well, fish is by weight!
We ate a full lobster and that was awesome, and pigeon, although that tasted of chop.
Hi Elaine 1344

Got back 2 weeks ago and we did exactly the same as you. Booked B&B because of our eldest being over 12 years old and got what we thought was a good deal.

We actually spent quite alot on food and drink because we liked our hotel and its restaurants so much and didn't want to keep trecking back and forth to Namma Bay. But I really think the key to eating cheaply is probably not to have too many meals in your hotel, especially if its a 5*.

If you go into Namma the restaurants are cheaper, although depending on how far out you are staying the return taxi fare is about 8quid which you need to factor in to your costs each night.
Hi!

Boyfriend and I jetting out to Sharm on 22nd May for a week Half Board and are planning on taking £500 pounds worth of EGP between us (as well as a card)!

Do you think this is enough?

Thanks
With that you should be able to learn to dive ( full 5 day course ), do a couple of excursions, eat out every day with a few drinks, and still have some change left over for souvenirs and that.

Sounds like more than enough. But change in Egypt when you get there and you ll find you ll get more for your money !
I've already ordered my currency from the Post Office, although I'm not bound to take them!

Where would I change the currency in Sharm?! Do they have "post offices"?

Also, would I be able to change what I had left back when I got back to UK?

Thanks
Yes they have post offices.... but best try something called a bank... :wink: .... they have lots of them there - starting just before the passport control in the arrivals hall. Most large hotels have a bank exchange on site. For current exchange rates go to http://www.nsgb.com.eg and see the difference.
:lol: I suppose that was a bit of a daft question!

Thank you though! I will take that on board!
i be taking 400quid so around 3600 egy pds would this be enogh for 2 weeks? we are all inclusive at the conrad sharm hotel.

got 200 in bank for back up?

cheers lee
I am only taking a 100 sterling in Egyptian pounds with us - the rate i got was 10LE to the pound which was better than last year. The rest i will change when i get there.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.