Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Our return from Lanzarote ..... We had secured seats 12C and 12 D , so aisle seats on the emergency exit row , also row 11 was emer exit
Checkin was opened about 2 and half hours before departure , very quickly done and through into det lounge , there is no BA lounge to use here even if flying in CE , most return airports do have 3rd party lounges at least which BA use .
Anyway Lanzarote is probably one of the nicest airports I have experienced , plenty of food and beverage outlets , great outdoor terrace and a good range of shops , and it's not that big either so easy to get around yet not overpacked with passengers .
We boarded and found that only the seats 12A and 12F were occupied so the middle seat was empty and there was great legroom. So seating wise , it was actually better than CE on the way out , in a normal row with all 3 seats occupied it would be ok and wouldn't bother me too much if that had happened , obviously it wouldn't be as comfortable and private as travelling in CE with a partner .
After take off , service started and buy on board has been introduced , there were 2 crew to carry out this service , for about 120+ passengers . The crew were very good , but the service they were able to carry out was fairly slow , it took about 2 hours for them to complete it . We had both bought a cheese and ham baguette and crisps in the lounge before boarding at a cost of 5 euros each , we were at the start of the service ( thankfully ) and ordered 2 coffees , total cost £4.60 , no cash is accepted , just payment cards or you can use avios , the payment terminal did accept payment without pin which speeded up the service !! There's not a great range of food , so I would suggest pre buying if you don't like the offer / price or perhaps having to wait 90 mins or have a flight of about 2 hours !!!!
The coffee did taste ok and the flight was comfortable .
Overall , if you want a flight with good service , something to eat and drink and some room , book a CE seat , and if at a low price it's really good value , if you want to just get there or back , and price is most important then book whoever .
BA economy short haul is not bad , just about the same now as LCCs except hold luggage is included in the price and though LCCs appear to be low priced after adding on hold luggage they don't appear to be so attractive , and you are also able to select seats at 24 hours before for free and generally get seats next to each other rather than be very randomly given middle seats rows apart .

In the future if I can get CE seats for a fair price I would book them , if I choose economy I would pre buy food again .
I think Club Europe. if its a reasonable price, can be good value if you are non status as you get the lounge. We have done Club Europe to Krakow and as its amongst the longest flights, the menu is good. I gather medium length flights have lost out in the revamp.
We were going to be sampling ET to Zakynthos to see how bad BOB was, but alas we have had to cancel. We had got a really good price as it was beating Easy Jet.
36 on CE is not good with only 2 staff. You are paying for prompt service( although BA would probably say, as they have be known to do, that anything beyond a seat is complimentary!)
The menu we had this time was good , as in a starter , main , dessert and cheese plate plus roll , so it looks enhanced and the idea of it sounds wonderful and I'm sure the crew have been trained in the new style of service of going round after presenting trays with the hot main course and top up of wine , but having to execute that service to a cabin of 36 didn't seem that good compared to previous flights when there was about 20 to 24 of us and the service did feel more relaxed .
I thought the main was a poorer quality meal than I've had before , I do like chicken breast in a sauce with some veg but if you bake or overcook it then the taste and texture is just horrible , on previous flights I've had kedgeree and salmon rissoto and rice based meals do cook better in a steam oven and therefore taste better .
BA would say they have enhanced the meal and on paper they have , but if the CE cabin is now fuller because a few more people think the extra cost is worth it because of BoB in economy then the service will deteriorate and if they offer a 4 course meal for I guess the same price of a previous 3 course meal then they must have cut the quality or quantity of each dish , they now serve wine and champagne from large bottles rather than the 25cl bottles they used to , wine was ok , nothing to get excited about though .
I think that if you compare with LCCs they have a one class cabin with up to 180 passengers being served by 4 crew and they are set up in the way of operating BoB , with BA you have 2 crew serving full service to 36 and 2 crew serving 120+ in a painfully slow fashion trying to do BoB which is new to them and not as slick and easy as their rivals do it . The crew on our return flight in economy were really good and did provide excellent service and were very polite and had good humour too .

Again I think if you look at the overall package of quick checkin , lounge , flight , baggage then the CE service is good as opposed to economy travel which can be good , but sometimes poor or aggravating .
you just have to weigh up the price difference and what represents good value to you .
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.