Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Hi Deb ... that particular article is from a few weeks ago, but there is still an ongoing dispute regarding BAA employees' final salary pension scheme. A ballot to decide on whether or not industrial action should be taken will be carried out over the next few weeks, with the result being announced fairly close to Christmas. Even if the vote is in favour of industrial action, it may not necessarily take place over the festive period, but obviously it creates more pressure and makes a much better story if it is portrayed that way in the media. But as you say, let's just hope it is resolved amicably.

David :wave
Thanks David,

It was something I heard this morning on the radio, it said something about 27th december & BAA airports being shut.....that's what made me have a google.

I may have heard it wrong, lets just hope it comes to nothing.

Thanks again.

Deb.
According to the BBC you didn't hear it wrong

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7109535.stm

The ballot is November 29th, presumably it will take a day or so to announce the result.

Any strike will affect BAA airports, so Gatwick, Heathrow, Stansted (but not Luton), plus a selection of regionals.

The important thing is that the insurance companies will be well aware of what is happening and will not be happy at paying out for cancellations of anything booked after a strike is called.
It was on BBC radio 2 that I heard it, let's just hope they sort it out before then.
1!st time of going away new year too...!!

Deb.
Hi Steve ...

steve8482 wrote:

The ballot is November 29th, presumably it will take a day or so to announce the result.

The ballot process will only start on 29 November, and may not conclude until 20 December. If the ballot result favours industrial action, which is by no means certain, then it will need to take place within 28 days of the ballot decision being announced and with 7 days notice given of any proposed strike dates.

There is still potentially a several week period before, during and after the ballot process in which a resolution of some sort may hopefully be found which might avert any strike action.

Hi what airports are involved as i am due to fly from birmingham on the 27th of december
Hi b4ker1 ... BAA controlled airports are Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Heathrow, Gatwick, Stansted and Southampton.

hi thanks for the reply i can stop stressing now
I can't! I don't want to be spending NYE in England!

most of us dont have the luxury of final salary pension schemes, why do BAA workers feel they are superior? It's not nice but at the end of the day its either no job because the company has gone under or no final salary pension scheme...

hmm
I don't think that BAA is going to go under by keeping its pension scheme, it can afford the costs involved in fact the pension fund deficit is only 29m so to close admittance to the scheme for new employees is not really necessary and there is a threat to current employees that the scheme could be altered in the future. The union is fighting this move by the company and asking its members to show support.

I don't have a final salary pension scheme but i don't begrudge anyone else who does, in fact my wife (a BAA employee) who leaves for work at 2.30am !!!! yes thats in the middle of the night to start at 4am on her security shift probably feels that after giving her employer good service over the years she deserves a good pension , i don't think that is displaying a feeling of being superior , its just wanting a fair pension that is based on how much service you have given in a job that can be stressful due to the sheer amount of customers and the responsibility to ensure our airlines remain safe from threats of terrorism.

I'm sure your holiday won't be affected , strike action very rarely happens, its just the threat thats needed.
Many companies have suspended new admissions to their final salary pension scheme and altered their schemes for existing members. Their employees have not striked nor threatened too. It is not an ideal situation to be in but a job with less money in retirement is better than no job and just a state pension/state aid.

It may "only" have a current deficit of £29m however with an increasingly top heavy population this deficit will grow out of proportion.

Whilst I am not knocking your wife's long and unsociable hours, I too work similar hours in the aviation industry and i do not get a final salary pension scheme any longer, something when starting out I took for granted. However we did not/could not strike.

I am not going on my holidays.
There is a statement from BAA on the situation ... please click here.

However, as a holiday site, it's not for us to go into discussion about final salary pension schemes, etc and so I will close this topic for now. We can open or update it again in a few weeks time when the result of the ballot is known.

Many thanks
Airport workers vote in favour of strike action

The result of the ballot has just been announced, and the vote is in favour of strike action.

The Unite union has called 24 hour strikes starting at 6am on 7 and 14 January, followed by a 48 hour strike starting at 6am on 17 January.

The 7 January strike coincides with the date on which it was expected that hand luggage rules may be revised.

All seven BAA airports in the UK (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Heathrow, Gatwick, Stansted and Southampton) will be affected if these strikes go ahead.

Fingers (and toes) crossed that they manage to get this sorted out. We're flying in from Lanzarote to Glasgow on the 17th. Has anyone any ideas what happens in the strike does go ahead.

Thanks

Karen
Hi Karen ... considering that firefighters and security staff are involved, then the impact of any strike action could be serious. Where possible, some airlines may try to fly to/from non-BAA airports. However, although dates have now been confirmed for proposed strike action, the BAA is still in discussion with the Unite union in the hope that the situation can be resolved and any strike action may be averted.

Following progress today between BAA and unions, the first of the three strikes (scheduled for 7 January) has just been called off.

The outline of a deal has been reached and it will be put to delegates for approval. If approved, the two remaining strikes (scheduled for 14 and 17 January) will also be cancelled.

Fingers crossed.

Happy New Year !!

Following agreement with the proposals put forward by the BAA on Monday, the remaining strikes scheduled for January have now been cancelled.

Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.