Africa/Middle East Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Africa/Middle East inc.Dubai
Glad to hear you had an enjoyable trip, prawn. Did you like the city itself?
Hi, Phoebe - have to say that we didn't actually go into the city on foot. We did drive through a couple of times - scary or what!!! - but I didn't feel up to wandering round the souks at the moment. I have already told 'Sir' that next time we go we will visit the city as it seems a shame to have missed it.
Lol @ the driving through - enough to make your hair turn white! Quite a bit pleasanter on foot, I must say. Shame you missed out this time..but that's what return visits are for ;)
The souk maybe takes a bit of braving for some people, I guess, but there's more to see that feels more leisurely. Glad you had an enjoyable stay anyway.
I went to Marrakesh with my sister for five days in March, and I absolutely loved it, thoroughly enjoyed it!

I want to return with my husband in October this year ... hopefully we can afford the trip!

Kay.
Just reading this posting and I was actually just looking at flights last night for Marrakesh. Is it worth going to see, its been on my hit list of places I have always wanted to see....

Do you have any suggestions for things to do and how long do you think you should go to get a feel for the place and do any trips.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Ross
Depends what you like to do/how far you want to go on trips. If you want to stay local, get a good feel for Marrakech and take a trip into the Atlas, then I would say four days would give you plenty chance to soak up the atmosphere. If you want to go further afield and have an overnight stay in Essaouira, I'd add on a couple of days. It's a lovely contrast to Marrakech.

Depending on what sort of accommodations you like, you might want to look into a riad in the medina itself in Marrakech for a good dose of atmosphere (Google some, and see if the idea's for you, otherwise, plenty hotel choice a bit further out in the new Town). An early evening caleche ride (horse and carriage) is a nice way to see the city. You can sort a camel ride in the Palmerie area out of the city if you fancy that. The souks in the medina are fun if you like a wander and a haggle. Some people find it a bit much. The Jemaa el Fna (main square) is a must by evening, full of food stalls and buzz. By day, it's more tranquil and the fresh orange juice sold at the stalls is lovely. The Majorelle Gardens are beautiful.

I'm a fan, as you might be able to tell ;)
Never would have guessed, Phoebe! ;)

Will definately be returning and hope to see more of the city than this time.
Il ove the french corner in the city and of course the railway station.

The old souk is good, particularly the old schools, the old mansions and the chatter in french
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.