Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Bahrain
40 Posts
Hi Goamike. We bought gold in Panjim, spent ages haggling and thought we got a good price. On the way back, stopped in Bahrain, had a look, and told the guy behind the counter what we'd paid for our stuff. He weighed it and laughed and told us what we would have paid for it there ... about 40% less. Lesson learnt!

If you stop at Bahrain both ways, why not check out the prices on the first stop, check out Goa, you can always buy on the way back. We should have thought of that last year. Plus you can use your credit card (they don't always like it in Goa and sometimes try and charge more to cover the cost). Don't know about the Rolexes though - I'd be more inclined to trust the airport shop to sell the real thing.
Thanks anjunagirl i had given up on this particular subject & low & behold i get a reply.

I must admit im not to hot on gold,silver etc but saying that one of the guys asked me to get some silver snake chains whilst we were in kerala and ended up buying for the wife and i as they are apparantly hard to get over here and quite nice.

As you say its a case of doing some homework before you go. :roll:

I did manage to get some bacardi souveniers thou from the duty free and they are not readily available.
Once again thanks. 8)
Goamike: You're welcome. With regard to silver my son bought some great stuff from the Tibetan market in Calangute, really unusual, again you're in for a fair amount of haggling. Made the prices over here look extortionate. Unfortunately Calangute's a fair way from Kerala, but if you're passing ...!!!
At this moment of time debating if to go to kerala or goa for next xmas, we was in goa in 2003 and went to the saturday night market and your right about the haggling as where in kerala is seemed more rigid and if that was the price that was it. :lol: :P
We're flying out of Manchester on Saturday 19th March, on the Monarch flight that leaves at 16.30, and due to stop at Bahrain sometime around 3-4am Bahrain time for around 45 mins. Has anybody already done this flight this year and if so, WAS EVERYTHING OPEN!!! at that time of night/morning (I'm thinking mainly about the jewellery store ...!) I've checked the Bahrain Airport website but couldn't find any info. on this.
Hi,

We flew out to kerala and it was around twoish in the morning and everything was open and got the feeling it was open 24 hrs a day, but dont quote me on that. :roll: :lol:
Sorry forgot to say that was on boxing day. 8)
Thanks Goamike. Can relax now! Having been through Heathrow and Gatwick at that time, and seen shops closed, did make me wonder. Cheers.
FLYING OUT OF MANCHESTER 00.55 does anyone know if any bars cafes will still be open :wink: thanks nicky
Have checked out Manchester Airport website, mainly Terminal 1. It's very vague and gives opening times as only "General: Open Daily" for all the bars/restaurants I looked at. Sorry it's not more precise. 8) What day are you going?
hi thanks for looking we are going on thursday 7th apri 00.55 8) nicky
We'll be well back by then, and jealous! Enjoy!
look forward to your reviews and tips on you return all info welcome as first time to goa :D nicky HAVE A GOOD ONE
Anjuna girl - Bahrain is open 24 hours,but don't forget you only get 45 mins to one hour,so you will not have time to browse too much !! ( my opinion is you get a better and cheaper price in Goa)

Niki - the last time we went from Manchester,burger king closed at 10.00pm,wh smiths at 9.00pm and the ale shop at 11.30pm - very poor !!
i always find uk airports v poor in the shop opening dept late on, quite surprising really with flights leaving & arriving & everythings shut although saying that i was stuck in frankfurt airport one night at about 10pm for 4 hrs & it was a nightmare - nothing was open at all even though there was obviously loads of people arriving & leaving
Thanks for the Bahrain info Spike. Couldn't find much on their website. I realise about the 45 minutes but it'll be enough time to have a raid ...!

MillyM - have you ever been stuck at Athens (the old airport)? No seats and if you dared to sit/lounge on the floor, airport security came round with tear gas ... yes really! Hospitality award, anyone?
hi niki67
Went from Manchester at same flight time as you last month. When we got to manchester everything was shut except 1 bar which sold food also. Needless to say the queues were huge and seating in the immediate areas difficult to find. We were really annoyed as we like to browse and buy our books and magazines there and we hadnt even considered that the shops would be shut! Duty free was open and this closed when our flight was called as we were the last flight to leave that night. Dont know why the other shops and bars couldnt do the same!!
spike and paulsreal :cry: it looks like we will have to get a bottle or 2 from duty free :wink: nicky
Can anyone tell me how long it takes to get to Bahrain from Manchester and how long you spend there.My better half wants to visit the duty free shop. and spend spend spend.! Help.!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.