Thailand Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Thailand.
bangkok hotel?
22 Posts
Is that £70 per night to cover all four of you?
Assuming your talking two rooms at £70per room per night many excellent hotels fall in budget. The Bangkok Marriott Resort and Spa is one, its free boat links up well to Skytrain and river boat express services and it does have a resort feel rather than hotel block feel.

Given the size of your party you might get good value looking at serviced apartments...most of the facilities of a hotel, but with loads more room thrown in. Personally I prefer the serviced apartments to a hotel, you get more luxury for your baht.

debs81 stayed at the Ascott Sathorn and gave it a good review, we have both stayed at the Somerset Suwan Park and rated it (part of the Ascott group again just a lower rating and slightly older style property). Have also stayed at Le Bua and that was good as well. But theres plenty of others to choose many in the Sukumvit area located near Skytrain.
We have stayed at the Landmark twice, then on our last visit to Bangkok we dedcided to try the Bel Aire Princess which is only a couple of minutes walk from the Landmark. It is a great hotel not quite as plush as the Landmark , but not far off, would definately recommend and it only a couple of minutes to Nana skytrain and is much cheaper than the Landmark, hope this helps, shirleyv.
one final thing- have you tried booking directly with the Landmark? We have done this for December as we found it cheaper! :D
Consider Lebua at The State Tower. Amazing views (balconies unfortunately shut) the largest rooms in Bangkok, and great location (just behind shangri-la).

They have for $130 on website (about £65) - not sure if taxes included. The rooms are much better than the Landmarks imo. MRT 5 minutes walk.
When I stayed at Le Bua (Meritus State Tower at the time) the balconies were accessible...great views but a little unnerving as we were over fifty floor up..and a small child could have easily got through the balustrades...probably why they are locked now. In the one bedroom suites the lounge area was a bit gloomy with only the bedroom area having a view to the outside world, but some of the multi room suites have spectacular views. Consider taking out a second mortgage if you intend to use the posh restaurants at the top of the building...and make sure you have your best duds on.
thanks for all posts - will check out all the hotels suggested. I havent heard of serviced apartments before - where do I go to check this out? budget is £70 per room, so around £150 per apartment is available. I did try landmark directly but they were coming in around the £100 as well. perhaps they've had a splurge on bookings and are capitalising on the rush???? our other ploy is to wait and see what happens to pricing, we're not going till end June and as there are so many hotels and bit out of main season i dont suppose we'll have a problem finding somewhere?
I find this page
http://www.asiatravel.com/bangkok/apartment.html
a useful starting point for serviced apartments as it lists a fair number. Then do a bit of research on the ones that interest me. As with hotels standards and prices vary widely. Usually the deal will include breakfast even though you have full kitchen facilities.

The Ascott website is http://www.the-ascott.com/
Click Here for our reviews of the Ascott.
As sunbear said, we stayed in serviced apartments in Bangkok last year.
We booked a two bedroom apartment at the somersett. We were upgraded to a three bedroom free. It cost us £79 a night, including breakfast. There were four of us.

The Ascott cost £100 a night including breakfast.

We are travelling to bangkok again this year and will be staying at the somerset again. the location is fab.
Hi debs81

Couple of questions on the Ascott if I may...is the swimming pool area nice (looks so on the website but the photos in the dark) and is it an easy ten minute walk to Skytrain from the apartments.
Hi Sunbear
The water in the pool at the Ascott was not as clear as other hotels, although I wouldn't say it was too cloudy. Not that I know much about swimming pools. It was also freeform. However it was a nice pool and had nice surroundings. Compared to european hotel swimming pools it was fabulous.

The walk to the skytrain - yes it took approx 10 minutes, you have to go up the overpass to cross the large cross roads, then down again. Then up another set to get to the skytrain.

As it was our second hotel in Bangkok, we had got used to the walking up and down.
It was definately the more luxurious of the two, but the apartment was smaller.
Hi, we stayed at Sofitel Silom and the hotel was very close to the Skytrain and Patpong Street. The room was very nice and the breakfast tasty. You can get good price (I just checked one date in May and it came to 100 USD per night).
Hi Zabka
would you be able to do a hotel report for us- it can be as brief as you want :D
Sofitel Silom
TIA
Fiona
Report was posted today :)
thanks Zabka- you didn't have the best of starts there I see.
Totally agree about the Sofitel Silom, an excellent hotel and fantastic value for money. We got a corner room which had 2 sides of floor to ceiling windows giving a panoramic view of Bangkok. Also superb views from the breakfast restaurant and bar/restaurant on the 37th and 38th floor. Also very convenient for the skytrain, would not hesitate to stay there again.
Hi Fiona.
You are right that our start wasn't the best but apart from that we couldn't fault anything. My husband is scared of hights so he couldn't enjoy the view from 33rd floor properly :lol: he had to go on all four closer to the window to have at least peak :wink:
:rofl
tell me you're joking!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.