Thailand Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Thailand.
Patpong I and II and two small streets in Bangkok which while having a very lively night market, also house many of the infamous bars that Bangkok is renowned for. However it is only a small area and is easily avoided if you wish. There is so much more to Bangkok, than the highly publicised sex industry side of things, I should not let it put you off what is a truly fascinating place.

Actually it does not seem any more seedy than some parts of London, Amsterdam or other European capitals
I've been occassionally withdrawing money from my Barclays account here i Thailand over the past 8 years using Visa electron card. Easy to do and until recently I'd have reocmmended it, however, Barclays have now started charging some extortionate fees for ATM withdrawals and so I'd say you should check with your bank about the charges they levy.

Patpong is Ok for teenagers, they'll have a giggle. I doubt you'll be taking them into any of the go-go bars but you can sneek a peek through open door ways - nothing shocking I'm afraid, only bikini clad, chrome pole hugging Thai girls shuffling around. Take note that Patpong market isnt cheap - it's very touristy.

For fake clothing, sunglasses, watches etc head to MBK shopping centre, Siam Square, and for all manner of souvenirs Suan Lum Night Bazaar - about 20 mins walk away from Patpong, near Lumpini Park is the best place for night time shopping - similar to Chatuchak weekend market - only smaller, in the city centre and a bit more expensive - but far cheaper and far more variety than Patpong.
Hi macfarang
When you say weekend market, can you elaborate. Days, times etc.
We are just about to book and will be staying in Bangkok either side of 7 days in Hua-Hin.
debs81

The Chatachak weekend market is on Saturday or Sunday during the day. Its huge....and the stalls sell all kinds of stuff not just the kind of things you get at the touristy night markets. Its easily reached via the Sky Train.

Department stores such as Central in Chid Lom (again via Skytrain) are worth visiting if you wish to purchase better quality goods.

Incidentally Hua Hin has a an excellent night market as well which you can visit if you miss them in Bangkok.
At Chatuchak many of the shops are also open n Thursday & Friday. When we buy stuff from there we'll go on a weekday as it's not crowded and much easioer to browe around -especiallyif you're looking for wholesale stuff or just dont lke crowds. ( Note that wholesale often means only buying half a dozen items and getting an immediate 30% off the already haggled price - so if you're buying a lot of stuff for folks back home always ask for wholesale prices.)

At the rear of Chatuchak is an area called Chatuchak Plaza - the shops here sell a lot of handicrafts, artwork etc and many are open everyday. Nowhere near as crowded as the main market and a better choice if you want more individual, less mass market souvenirs/trinkets to take home.
Thanks for that.
Well, we have decided on the dates and flights. We want to spend 3 days in Bangkok, 7 days in Hua Hin and then a further 2 days in Bangkok. We have chosen our accomodation in Hua Hin.
We want to stay in a 4* Hotel in Bangkok near shopping!! and markets.
Any suggestions for hotel?
Thanks.
My parents stayed at Triple Two '222', on Silom Road last year. A very nice boutique hotel - good choice if you want something a bit more individual than the usual concrete boxes that pass for city centre hotels in Bangkok.

Lots of shopping nearby, Patpong and Silom night markets are about 10 mins walk away , the nearest skytrain stop is also about 10 mins walk and it's also within walking distance of the river - so easy to catch boats up to Grand Palace etc.
Debs
Make sure the hotel is close to the skytrain and you should be ok!
Where are you staying in Hua Hin?
Hi Fiona
Staying at Baan Chaitalay apartments in Hua Hin.
Don't know them but see they are close to Chiva Som and they look lovely. We stayed actually in Hua Hin at the Marriott.
Hi Fiona
We were going to stay at the Marriott.
But saw these apartments and thought they looked great. Superb value too.
They certainly looked stunning. The only possible negative is the distance from the town. But then transport is cheap!
HI Debs we wewnt to Bangkok ( staying at the Landmark) and then went onto Hua Hin and stayed at the Hilton Spa, which was a great hotel. Been to Thailand many times and its a great place and dont let the information you have had about Patpong put you off as I think it has one of the best markets in Bangkok ( and is much better than the one in Hua Hin).

You will have peorple trying to entice ( mainly men) into the go go bars but its unlikely you will get any hassle, Ive been with my young child and always had a good time.

Have fun
Hi Debs I also stayed at the Landmark in Bangkok, great hotel and very convenient for the Nana skytrain station, I have also stayed in Hua Hin at the Anantara Hotel - cannot speak highly enough - rooms, service , facilities , beautiful pool and georgeous tropical gardens , a little further out of Hua Hin but minutes from the centre by taxi , Thailand is my favourite country - in a word 'AMAZING'
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.