Thailand Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Thailand.
topped for member footy
Take in Muay Thai at one of the two stadia in the city. Don't buy a ringside seat though - they're a rip off for the tourists. Sit with the locals to soak up the atmosphere.

Jim Thomsons house is nice, as is Suan Pakkad Palace - both beautiful examples of traditional teak houses.

Wat Trimitr is worth a visit, mainly for its Buddha image made of solid gold - all 5 tons of it.
Get a tuk tuk to Khaosan road - find a seat in a roadside cafe and watch the neverending circus which is Khaosan , the start of many great asian journies and gap years , there's nothing like it, fantastic, can't wait to get back there.
  • Edited by shirleyV 2007-05-03 20:09:41
Surprising no one mentioned Jatuchak weekend market yet!
For shopping definetely head there

Plus - if you have time, go watch a thai boxing match at the lumpini stadium.
Tuk Tuk and floaing market.Great day.
Bridge over the river Kwai 2.Long day though
Tuk tuk..haha..hopefully they dont take you for a ride to the gem stores!
My Bangkok must do's would include:

Baiyoke Sky Tower
Rising 94 stories above the Bangkok skyline and the tallest building in Bangkok, the Baiyoke Sky Tower Observation Deck is worth a visit with telescopes and information about Bangkok at the visitor's fingertips via a special computer system. 222 Rajprarop Road. Check opening times, we went at night.

Patpong Night Market
An eye opener in more than one way! - Don't forget to haggle hard (generally aim for paying half the original asking price) for anything you buy as there'll always be another stall selling the same thing (playing them off against each other also works). Keep you wallets safe as people are always bumping into each other. Check which nights it is on.

Wat Pho, Temple of the Reclining Buddha
The highly impressive gold plated reclining Buddha is 46 meters long and 15 meters high, and is designed to illustrate the passing of the Buddha into nirvana. The feet and the eyes are engraved with mother-of-pearl decoration, and the feet also show the 108 auspicious characteristics of the true Buddha.

MBK Centre or World Trade Centre
Central World Plaza (Formerly The World Trade Centre.) Chit Lom Station on Sky train. A "sky bridge" from Chit Lom station will let you walk through to Central World Plaza without stepping foot on the pavement. There are hundreds of shops, scores of restaurants, cinemas, and an ice skating rink.
How about the MBK centre. The last 2 years i have always made time for a visit on my last day.
Diesel jeans for 700bht :D And the guy makes them to your own leg length.
Digital cameras, memory sticks, computer software, bags.........Pretty much everything you need, and an excellent food hall.
Went to the Paragon aquarium in Bangkok (get out Siam station on BTS Sky Train)very nice but over rated and expensive, Farang 750baht Thai 650baht entry including an ice cream and Pepsi and short 4D film show with jets of air in your face and seat rippling and violently shaking, scared our four year old daughter, fish tanks and fish massive and beautiful, have done it, would not do again.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.