Thailand Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Thailand.
definietly kho san road, patpong market , the grand palace also do a private long tail boat trip to the royal barges only about £4,
...also Wat Arun, Wat Pho. Hit the shops down Sukhumvit and Siam. A trip out to floating market at Damnoen Saduak. If your there at the weekend then a trip to the Chatachuk market. Jim Thomsons House. Vimanmek mansion.

If you have a bit longer in the city then maybe a trip to Ayutthaya, with a river cruise back to Bangkok. Or a day trip to Kanchanaburi for River Kwai
I agree with Ayutthaya, with a river cruise back to Bangkok. A great day out- really enjoyed it.

A quick trip we did was a the local ferry from the Sheraton across to the other side- there was a smaiil market at the other side. The locals wondered why we were going across- not many tourists appear to do it.
The Grand Palace is an obvious 'must'. Just remember to ignore all the touts and con artists in the area who'll tell you that it's closed etc etc

The ticket for the Grand Palace also gives you free admission to Vimanmek Teak Palace a couple of miles away - so hop in a taxi and head north, past Khao San Rd to see it. Well worth a look as it's the largest teak wood building in the world, and not a bad house either. Thai temples tend to be a bit to glitzy, and Bang Pai-In is a bit of a mish mash or architecture - but Vimanmek is a very nice place to visit.
Take your life in your hands and have a ride in a tuk-tuk - seriously scary
A walk through Chinatown is a "must".
Also if you fancy a trip out of Bangkok, one of my best trips ever was to the River Kwai. You visit the Jeath POW camp and then on to the cemetary which was so moving. The bridge itself is quite scarey to walk across if there are a lot of other people there as I found parts of it quite rickety. The journey on the train was a great experience and goes through some stunning scenery. A long day - but worth it. A lot of people do this as a 2 day trip but if time is limited go for the day!
Definitely worth a visit is the Grand Palace, Floating Market, Patpong Night Market, and a Night River Dinner Criuse.

We didn't get time to do some of the other must do's, but will add these to the list for next year.
My fave spots in Bangkok are Wat Po - lovely serene temple, sums up old Thailand for me and Khaosan Road is a must for me, the original backpacker haunt, I could spend hours watching the world go by , it is so colourful and manic , the starting block for many great trips around asia I am sure.
I agree Shirley...had some digital photos of Wat Po...printed them out in sepia and they looked like photos's of Bangkok taken a century or more ago.
Going to Bangkok next month. Have been reading some great tips and suggestions on this website over the last few months.
Thanks to you all.

Can anyone tell me if it is better to book trips before you go? Or is it better to book there? Any suggestions on companies?

Looking at going to River Kwai for day and Ayutthaya, with a river cruise back to Bangkok.

Thanks.
We have done both this trips and arranged them whilst there. We booked through our hotel. I am sure we could probably have got them cheaper but we wanted to book as soon as we arrived.
If your going with a tour operator than the local reps will be all to pleased to arrange the trips for you. Otherwise your hotel will probably have a tour desk. I think for first timers to Bangkok organised tours are good for giving an overview. On the trip I did to Ayutthaya we took coach up in morning and cruised back...an enjoyable cruise once the commentary finished.

Which hotel are you staying at?
I definitely agree re organised tours for first timers. Once you know your way around it is great but I think we would have been overwhelmed on our first time if we were planning to see Bangkok on our own.
Please make sure you visit the Grand Palace as well- and go as early in the day as possible as it is very hot inside the complex! ( take a brolly to use to keep yourself in the shade)
Ayutthaya- we also visited the Kings Summer Palace on the way. Well worth it!
A bit late to add much as it has mostly been said. I particularly agree with Sunbear's post of 6th June although all the other posts are great.

One other thing. Try some typical Thai food in a typical Thai reataurant such as Suda, just off Sukhumvit (Soi 14). Very cheap and excellent food!

http://uk.holidaysguide.yahoo.com/p-travelguide-61097-action-describe-suda_bangkok-i

Hopefully the link can stay - but if not, just Google "Suda Bangkok".

Cheers

Peter
The Suda...now that sounds like my kind of restaurant...paid more for my food in Bangkok this time round and to be honest it was no better than the cheaper restaurants(perhaps worse), just better presentation and surroundings. Apart from the 150 baht high teas at the Erawan Teas rooms which were excellent value and superb setting and service.
Sunbear, can I ask - if you go for the high tea in the Erawan what is the dress code?
I am in Bangkok next Tuesday - may give it a try, thanks shirleyV
Dress code for the Erawan Tea Rooms. Well I was wearing chinos and t-shirt and felt like a wet lettuce leaf after a hard days sight seeing and the other half tshirt and skirt, however the staff treated us like honoured guests.

I gather its a place where a few local celebs go so might expect to be posher if you go in the evening. Its part of the Hyatt Regency hotel but you get direct access from the Skytrain to the shopping arcade its in.

To be honest we were a little concerned as they brought all the food in as we thought there was no way this could be 150 baht a head. Unlimited tea about nine different dishes and in 5star comfort. (Thought it might be 150baht a dish). But no total bill was 300baht for both of us. Don't know if the deal is still on, but its still worth it at twice the price.
Thanks Sunbear, may give it a try - time permitting as we only have 1 afternoon in Bangkok.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.