Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
We had booked the Casuarina back in 2007 and got shunted to the ABV as construction was running late.

We thoroughly enjoyed the ABV, in fact we're going back there in August. It does get very mixed reviews but it's very family friendly and spacious with loads of pools (10, I think) and after looking at facilities at other hotels, we thought we'd go back there for those reasons.

They have a free shuttle that runs between the ABV and Casuarina (and ABC) so you can spend a day at the other resort(s) if you like. South coast is livelier and the beaches are better, but the sea is pretty rough, especially, I'd have thought, in October.
Hi Crockett,

Thanks for the info.

As a matter of interest, what's Barbados weather like in August? I went to the Dom Rep two years ago in August and said 'never again' (we're very fair-skinned)! Hence the reason I'm looking at October, although ideally I would love to go Xmas or New Year but the price practically doubles.

Also, do you think there will be many similar aged children (12 to 14ish) around during October half-term week, at either resort?

Thanks again!
Hi Rose,

The temperature is pretty constant at around 30°C year round, though it is maybe a couple of degrees hotter in summer. The main difference from the high season (Dec to Apr) is the rainfall, there's a fair bit more in the summer months, though it tends to be short but heavy showers. Hurricanes and Tropical Storms are also a concern, but that's why we picked Barbados, it's south-easterly location means it tends to miss them.

As you mention xmas/new year is crazy money and I wonder how people afford it. We have done it once though (St Lucia, before kids) and it was a great atmosphere with santa waterskiing onto the beach with gifts for the ladies on xmas day and a superb firework party new years eve.

Regarding other similar aged children, if you're going in school holidays there will always be loads of children of varying ages at family friendly resorts like the ABV/Casuarina. By the way, we also like the look of Crystal Cove (my sister's favourite hotel) but agree it's just a bit too pricey.

We hadn't actually planned to do the Caribbean this summer and we've only just returned from Beaches Boscobel Jamaica, but the price of holidays to Turkey/Greece/Spain seems horrendous this year, whereas long haul holidays actually look to be better value.
Thanks for that additional info.

I might consider August now as the price is roughly the same as October. I was surprised that there seems to be plenty of availabilty at ANY time of year; perhaps people are cutting back on hols (I know what you mean about the Med, I have heard lots of people complaining about high prices).

It's reassuring to know that my kids should be able to find lots of others to hang out with at the Almond resorts.

I'll let you know what we decide, but I'm slightly leaning towards the Casuarina simply because it's a shorter transfer and there'll be more to see and do outside the hotel if we fancy it. One thing I'm definitely doing is the Snorkelling with Turtles trip - it's one of the reasons we want to go to Barbados!
I'm sure you'll enjoy the Casuarina and we certainly plan to spend a couple of days there using the Almond shuttle bus.

The turtle trip is fab, they are quite big up close and if you're floating on the surface they like to come and bump into your feet with their shell from below. We all thought this was great, except for my youngest (7 at the time) who was straight back in the boat !!

Harrisons cave, wildlife reserve and Atlantis (bit pricey though) are also worth doing.

By the way, we used Best at Barbados and they gave us an excellent price with BA flights.
Hi Crockett,

Thanks for the info about the turtle trip and other excursions. My 14-year-old son is not too keen on snorkelling (he thinks there'll be sharks lurking!), but I'm hoping he'll change his mind when we get there.
I'll investigate Best at Barbados - was going to use Virgin, but if I can get a better deal elsewhere, then that'll be great :cheers
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.