Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
Hello
Could you tell me the location of the Barcelo Costa Cancun please? Is it near to where the Hotel Zone is? First time to Mexico so I dont know.
Many thanks
Claire
If anyone can assist by posting a review, please do so HERE.

Thanks.

Pippy :D
This hotel was known as the Gran Costa Real until 2006. You will find lots of reviews under it's old name.
I would avoid it like the plague. We were unfortunate enough to be put in this hotel last year when our hotel on the Riviera Maya was damaged in a hurricane. It was so bad we opted to return home immediately rather than stay in this dump.
Our room was poky and smelt bad. It had 2 tiny windows, no balcony and overlooked the highway. The hotel was full of young people who partied all night. The food was appalling, the beach was man made and was beside the dock where the pleasure boats docked. The water was full of diesel. There were no sun umbrellas at the only pool and there were non stop noisy games here.
Not everyone was on AI so you had to keep shopwing a plastic wristband. The drinks were fine.
There are loads of nicer places.
Hi Claire
Just had a look at my map of Cancun and the Gran Costa Real is shown as on Playa Linda near where the Nichupte Channel (the lagoon) flows into the sea.

It is located on the Hotel Zone, towards the Downtown part of it.

Buses that go up the Hotel Zone towards the shopping malls & clubs and down towards Dowtown will go past your hotel every few minutes.

regards
Polly
Many thanks Polly, I'm still not sure what to do, the reviews dont read to bad, and I know that everyone has there own opinion, but its a lot of money and a long way to go if it turns out to be really horrid. :(
Hi Claire
It can be very difficult to decide on a particular hotel and then be put off by reviews from earlier customers.

But, I think you should bear in mind that all reviews are SUBJECTIVE rather than objective, and as such are based on an individual's expectations and experiences.

The hotel we stayed in was small and was exactly what we expected as we'd done our research before we booked.
Our room was large and clean and had lots of wardrobe space.
However, a couple of young girls who arrived at the same time as we did complained that their sheets were dirty and there were no drawers in the room.
They were moved to another room and were happy.

I'm not saying that Bridd's experience was not a bad one but as he/she says, they were there because of hurricane damage to the hotel they'd actually booked into, and I suspect that hotel space at that time was at a premium.

If you do decide to go ahead with your holiday at the Barcelo Costa Cancun, I'd check out your room as soon as you arrive and if you're not happy with any aspect of it, then ask to be moved straight away.

I've had a scan of the reviews on here and, with the exception of someone who stayed there just after the hurricane (which obviously affected the whole resort and its facilities), they are very good.
I'd not hesitate to stay there based on the reviews.

Enjoy your holiday.

Polly
Take a look at this link to see the location, though its still listed under the old name of Costa Real.

http://www.cancunmap.com/assist/cancun_hotel_locator.html

Most of the bars and restaurants are focussed around the area on the map that says "Punta Cancun". Don't be afraid to use the local buses to get backwards and forwards along the main strip.
Has anyone stayed here, were going in June, and have read reviews, some good some bad, just wondering how far away from the centre is it, as some reviews say that it is preety isolated?
Also, this might sound sooooo silly but, do you get an iron and ironing board in your room? :que

thanks, any information would be great. :sun2 Bebe xx
If anyone would like to post a review for this hotel, please do so HERE :tup

Pippy :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.