Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
Bay of Biscay
18 Posts
Can be good or bad any time of year.
You should know windjammer, as do we. (Pearl, inaugural cruise?)
We are going on the same cruise (21st June) and are hoping the weather is kind to us. Last January it was awful on the outward journey, but it was lovley coming back.

Marn.
We had a really bad crossing in April, but I who does get sea sick started my sea sick tablets before I left home and kept them up for three days, we had a force 8 and 9 and I was not sick once, so if you are worried maybe worth you doing the same
Cheers

oh joy !! I would have thought this time of year there would be less chance of a rough crossing
You cannot predict the Bay, we have done a November crossing and is was a mill pond both ways.
Hi Pat, What did you think to the Bay of Biscay?

Marn. :cheers
we have had both rough and smooth crossing .
you will be fine take it in your stride and enjoy it.
Went through many years ago and didn't know we had crossed Bay of Biscay - but we certainly did coming back!
Anyone know if the independence of the seas handles rough seas well ? Possibly going to Canaries from Southampton in October

Hi to all
I think most modern ships are built to handle rough seas. We went through the bay in a Force 8 and the port hole resembled a washing machine, but the ship, the Marco Polo, handled it well despite being small.

luci :wave
Thats reassuring to know thanks
Pat I will await your experience of the Bay of Biscay as I have booked the Independance for Nov 2012.

Have cruised on it before, but yet to travel via the Bay of Biscat way!
I remember crossing it on the Balmoral and watching the swimming pool splash all over the place so I guess it must have been fairly rough but the ship handled it really well not much movement at all so I imagine a ship the size of the independence should be ok ??
We had no problem with the Bay of Biscay on the Oceana in September either going or returning. I'd actually forgotten we'd done it as it was a non-event.

Going to the Canaries, I would be more concerned about the crossing from Arrecife to Agadir if that is on your itinerary. While not rough, there are cross currents there that give the ship a gentle roll and over 40% of our ship was down with seasickness. We have done that itinerary several times and it was the same each time.

Get armed with Stugeron from the chemist as they are great. Just check with the pharmacist if you are on any prescribed medication.

luci :wave
I'm on the same cruise pat so i'll keep my fingers crossed that the Bay of Biscay is calm. Not been on a cruise since 1988 so just hoping I enjoy it !! Got an E1 Balcony cabin on the Aft which looks great !!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image