Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
No reviews for this hotel on HT. Holidays uncovered show a couple and not very complimentary.

All a bit late in the day for you. Have you been given a reason?

I would suggest you contact them and complain now. As it is a wedding splitting up the party is not something you want particularly at this late stage.

fwh
Its renovations at the Napa Mermaid & Thomson are saying that the Health & Safety people are not in until Wednesday week!

We are getting compensation but trying to get Thomson to move them into the Grecian Sands with us but at the moment there are no Thomson rooms left so waiting for the hotel to approve some more rooms
Billy,

I'm sorry you've been moved at such short notice and whilst not wanting to add to your concerns but there is absolutely no comparison between these two hotels at all.

The Mermaid even prior to it's refurbishment this winter is far superior to the Sancta Napa in every aspect. I've stayed at the Mermaid on several occasions the latest being last September for 2 weeks, it's a great choice and really nice and this was before the refurb which looks really nice. The Sancta Napa is not a patch and I'm shocked that TUI are trying to move you to a hotel that's not of an equal or better standard.

How long is it since you booked the Mermaid ? The reason I ask is that the prices on the Mermaid have gone up significantly compared to last year even when booking directly with the hotel themselves, I jus hope TUI aren't trying to pull a fast one :roll: There are some other hotels nearer to the Grecian that they could have opted for location wise.

Here's the website for the Mermaid http://www.napamermaidhotel.com.cy/ they're very good at replying to emails if you want to email them directly and ask what the problems are yourself. Here's the Sancta website http://www.sanctanapa.com

I notice the Mermaid is now a 4 star since the refurb as it has always been a 3 star and the Sancta is a 3 star.

Rather than post links to other review sites and get my wrists slapped :wink: Get on Google and try "sancta napa hotel reviews" there are plenty to choose from and it should give you a good overview.

Hope that helps and good luck :D
Perhaps it would be worth you ringing Ros Fernihough for some advice.

She may be able to give you some information that might help you get them moved to your hotel.

Worth a try. her phoine number is: 01922 621114

Kath HT Admin
Oh no you've started me worring now!! I knew that the renovations were taking place but had assumed that they would be completed well before we get there. We are due to go on the 24th June. If you look on the Hotels website they are taking bookings from the 17th onwards. I've now got my fingers and every thing else crossed that everything is ok. :?
You should be alright as you are arriving a week later and the Health & Safety (according to Thomson) will have been in by then

We have now got everyone moved to the Grecian Sands at a cost of £110 per person. Only £70 per person is required as they are using the £40 compensation they would have received off it
Glad your sorted and the Sands is a lovely hotel
I've emailed the hotel to try and get some reassurance, just to put my mind at rest otherwise I'm going to be panicking right up until I'm checking in! :roll:
Sorry I meant to say I'm really glad your sorted and have a lovely day :lol:
Thank you very much

Would be interested to hear what does happen so please let us know either before or after you go
I had this reply from the hotel:-
"Thank you for your e-mail dated 130/06/07 and for choosing to stay with us
at the New Napa Mermaid. Kindly rest assured that the hotel is opening on
Sunday the 17th of June.

Looking forward to welcoming you!

Kind regards,
Yiota Panayi
Reservations Manager
NAPA MERMAID HOTEL"

So I've stopped panicking a bit now, although I'll feel better when I'm there!!
I booked the Napa Mermaid for 6 people from 30/5-6/6 last August with Eclipse.
A week before the holiday I was told in a letter that the Mermaid was not ready and we would be moved to the Napa Plaza. As the Plaza is inland I asked to be put in the Grecian Bay. This cost the £30 compensation plus £17 each. I am glad we chose the Grecian Bay, it is a fantastic hotel right on the beach.
We had a look at the Napa Mermaid just before we came home, it looked like a building site!
You have done the right thing booking the Grecian Bay, you will have a terrific time.
Of course it would have looked like a building site it was in the middle of 2/3 million £CYP refurbishment :roll:

I stayed in September last year just before it closed in the October for the refurb, when I went back in November I took a drive up there and they had gutted the place already......but I had emails from the hotel directly with the architects plans and they were fabulous.

Last year was my 4th visit to the Mermaid and despite the refurb running over (normal in Cyprus let alone anywhere else :? ) I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

And yes the Grecian is a lovely hotel but oh so more expensive generally, so an awful lot of people use the Mermaid for guests when they're getting married at one of the Grecian Group hotels. The Mermaid probably has the most returning guests for the longest time....some people we've met have stayed here for 15 years + every year :)
I booked my holiday last August, I went from May30 to June 6 2007. I agree that it is quite expensive in the Grecian Bay, we eat and drank out every evening. But with the free sunbeds on the beach and the lack of a handy bar for a nightcap or three, we spent less than we have done in other years at cheaper hotels.
Hey just wondering if there is any further news on this hotel re opening or has somebody stayed there since
It re-opened yesterday 17th. Confirmation via an email from the hotel directly last night
If it hasn't when I get there on Sunday you'll all hear my screams!!! :lol:
I will post as soon as I get back and let you know what its like with all the renovations all tho I have to say having stayed there 8 times before I thought it was a fantastic hotel as it was, but the artists impressions on the hotel website look fab!!
Just got back from Cyprus on Sunday and the Napa Mermaid was not ready for guests arrving on 17 June as they said they would be. We had some guests stay there for a couple of days and there was still loads of work being done and loud banging.

Thomson were right to move our family as they would not have been pleased so full praise to Thomson but a bit more notice next time

The Napa Mermaid however does look really nice and will be a superb hotel once it is all finished. It will certainly put the Grecain Sands under some pressure
Hi Billy

What did it look like and could you possibly tell me what the rooms were like
Any info. you have at all on this hotel Id really appreciate
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.