Spain - Costa Blanca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Blanca.
i think it is called the "fiestas" and something is telling me it is at the beginning of november, but not sure when.
The biggest week in the fiesta calender, held around the 10th to 15th November it usually runs from the second Saturday of the month through to the Wednesday of the next week .

The November fiesta is in honour of Our Lady of the Sufragio and San Jaime (St James), the patron Saints of Benidorm. San Jaime, also the patron Saint of Spain, is known as the apostle who brought Christianity to Spain in 40 A.D

The story goes...and I`m sure some one will correct me if I`m wrong :oops:

In 1740 news reached Benidorm that a ship was adrift in rough seas and sending the ship down the coast.
Some fishermen, with great difficulty manage to tow the ship to the beach.

After an argument between the local and military authorities, the ship was burned as a health hazard; it was thought the crew must have died from the plague, which was rife at the time.

They burnt the ship, but the next day, when some boys were searching through the ashes for iron nails, they found a small wooden statue of the virgin, which had been miraculously preserved.

The statue was taken to San Jaime Church where a chapel was built for it, and the people of Benidorm have always shown great devotion to Maria Del Sufragio.

This part of Benidorm's history is represented every November in front of Parque de Elche, Poniente Beach.

besos xx
sanJi
Hi Emso
The November Fiesta is part religious celebration and part just plain celebrating. I think it starts this year on November 12th. There are processions through the Old town with local people carrying huge bunches of flowers through the streets to the Church of Saint Jaime on the headland. The flowers are then woven into a huge display at the entrance to the church.

There are fireworks every day, often in the early morning and at noon ending with an impressive fireworks display on Wednesday night. Benidorm is very lively all during the week with numerous events and concerts taking place.

One of the fun events is the annual 'bull running' in the local bull ring where young local boys run after and jump over calves. No animal or child is hurt!

Many British people come to Benidorm every year for this Fiesta and there is a real party atmosphere all week in the clubs and around The Square.

On the Thursday of Fiesta week, so this year the 17th November, there is a big concert in Cafe Benidorm for the local Childrens Charity. This is in the afternoon and many Benidorm artists donate their time to raise money for his worthwhile cause. Its always a great show with a raffle and auction. If your mother in law enjoys a lively time she will love this week in Benidorm.
I am thinking of going to Benidorm in November. I have never been at this time of year, usually it is a bit earlier in August, September. Can anyone advise if the place is busy, I would not like to be going and everything shut up for the season.
Hi glenamber ... I have merged your enquiry with this existing 'November in Benidorm' topic, so you may now find a little more info in earlier posts.

David :wave
I am from Belgium and going ervery year to Benidorm in November.
It's allways fine to be there during the Fiesta week (Starting 12 th november).
There is a lot of crowd, specially Englisch people who are allways in a good mood. Me and my sister enjoy this very much.
me and my sister have been to benidorm in november lots of times and its brilliant! Its fiesta month too. :roll:
i have also been to beni in november with my sister where do you stay moreenbolton its great anytime
Hi all,
We (myself, wife and 13 yr old daughter) are going to the Hotel Mediterraneo at the end of november. We are first timers to Benidorm and would appreciate any tips. Have read reviews and webpages, but would like to know about those things that are not always published, ie. prices, good places for famiies to eat, places where not to take families, temperatures for both day and night etc etc. We realise peoples tastes differ, but would like a general feel for the place. 7 weeks to go and can't wait. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Mark
westay anywere in the middle :shrug :rofl
Can someone please confirm the dates for the fiesta in November - think its around the 12th it starts but want to confirm pre booking up

cheers
Hi Scalder, the Fiesta starts on the 11th November according to Benidorm Spotlight.

Sue :) :)
can any one tell me when best to book for november fiesta weekend as it starts on 11th november i think,,,,,,,was gonna book the 9th for 3 nights but not too sure now whether should be booking the 16th???? michelle
Hi Michelle,
Are you sure it`s the weekend the Fiesta begins that you want, because the main parade and firework display is on the last day which is Wednesday,or at least it was a couple of years ago when we went. The firework display is fantastic, hope this helps but I`m sure other more experienced Benidorm goers will put you right if I have got it wrong, have a great time.
Regards, Brigger
hi thanks,,,maybe it starts on the 8th then will have to check it out
regards michelle
Hi again Michelle,
The fiesta starts on the 2nd Friday in November every year I think, so that would mean that this year would be the 10th with the main parade and fireworks on the following Wednesday, the 15th. There are other things that take place, but I think these are the main 2 events that people go for, hope this is of some help.
Regards, Brigger
Is that the Fiesta Magdalena,or is it Macarena?
there are so many fiestas in benidorm every year its hard to keep track of there names
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.