Spain - Costa Blanca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Blanca.
Hi Angela ... if you haven't already seen them, you may find these topics worth taking a look at:

Benidorm Old Town
Benidorm Old Town: Food & Tapas Alley

David :wave
Why? How many gypsies and thieves did you see in the new town?????!!!!

The old town is more "Spanish" than the new town with narrow streets and tapas bars. The restaurants on Calle Palma are a must! The majority of hotels are in the new town, with only a few in the old town, the Crystal Park is all inclusive but is nowhere near the beach and is right on a busy main road (not my idea of a good place!, but other people seem to like it!!)
Hi,the gypsies and thieves are now dressing as english and spanish tourists to mingle in with the crowds.I have been to Benidorm 4 times in the last few years and saw loads of gypsies,but this time when i mentioned to my rep that there weren't many about,she told me that this is what they are doing.My rep also told me that they know of 5 women that wait outside the ambassador playa hotel from about 7pm onwards watching and waiting,they also know what time the coaches are bringing the tourists in and wait around asking if they need help,then robbing them.My father in law got robbed of £400 in the actual bank and when he went to get a crime number from the police station it was full of tourists coming and going who had been robbed.
Angela.
magic fenecia is close to the beach and harbour , and you can use the facilities in the other magic group hotels , , they are all fully inclusive with a free shuttle bus to take you around them all ,
Ok, There are a load of muggers still in Benidorm near to muggers alley and the Rincon, I am one of those who is targetted but am too streetwise to be caught, on my last visit last weekend there was a black 6 ft tranny in calle girona on the rob, also on the street where the Servigroup Orange is there is 2 guys you need to watch out for but ant anytime they could be else where, the first guy who tried to mug me I became friends with, but the black tranny, please look out for him/her.

I am one of those who goes out to 7am, but I know what im doing, I never see any in the Old Town, Just the areas of calle girona really and the streets that surround it.

Best dont be on your own, if your not comfortable with that area !

The Police there are overworked but are doing something but they cant arrest everyone, they see the same robbers day in day out. Dont go to cashpoints late at night, if you come on a coach then use the safe in the hotel, if you hire a car, peel the car hire sticker off the back window and leave your dosh in the car.

I usually have my car close to me, if I need money ill go back to it or just go out with 20/30 2Euro coins, muggers wont rob your coins.

The old town is nice, Ive been there really late too and never a problem.
As some of you know, we live in Benidorm for about3/4 of the year. We don't go out on the piss very often, and generally live like we do in the UK. We may eat out a couple of times per week, maybe go to a bar a few times more.

After 4+ years of being here about half of the year, we do not think that the begging situation has got worse. If anything, there are less of them about now. Have your wits about you, there should be no problems with these sad members of humanity.

Be vigilant, don't get too pissed that you don't know who or where you are, don't take out more cash than you need. And most of all "DON'T LOOK LIKE A VICTIM!"
Maybe I should have mentioned it in my other post, but I too live in Benidorm and have done for over 7 years now full time. And while there are still one or two pickpockets etc, there are nowhere near as many as there has been previously, whatever they're disguising themselves as nowadays!

Andy, no-one is "too streetwise to be caught"! You've just been lucky up to now probably, like I haven't yet been mugged in all my time here, but that's not to say it won't happen. It doesn't matter how big you are, or how streetwise you think you are, it can happen to anyone. If the "muggers alley" that you are referring to is the ginnel down past Primavera Dos, I've been down there at all times of day and night alone and never met anyone, let alone a mugger!!!

Also, the black 6ft "tranny", is actually a woman (she's never been a man), she's the "madam" of most of the prostitutes in town, and she is a friend of mine!!!
andyrich666 sorry but the advice you give about leaving money in a hire car is the daftest idea I have read on here for a long time! John
I thought that, but forgot to mention it too Johnmiggy!!! NEVER leave money or anything valuable in your car (hire or otherwise)!!!
I'd go along with most views on here. I certainly dont think Beni has a worse problem these days, in fact probably a good bit less, many years ago i had my wallet nicked there, but could have happened anywhere, and i'd had a few to drink. Ive neither had a problem since then or seen any other incidents either, and i go to Beni a lot! The Pea/Potatoe men are still around, and most people know to avoid these, in fact i saw 4 lots of them operating at the same time on Levante prom a few weeks back. I travel on my own, as well as in a couple, and i feel safer walking around Beni at night than i do my home town. You just need to use your common sense and have your wits about you. Many people act totally differently on holiday to what they do at home, and this is what provides criminals with an opportunity that they wouldn't usually have. As for a hotel in the Old Town, ive stayed at the Avenida several times and i like it, great location, good food, small roof top pool, heated in the cooler months. Its not all inclusive however. You really must visit the Old town next visit, completely different from the new town, some great restaurants, and good shops too, very Spanish in feel, and lots of nice Tapas Bars!

Best Regards - Taggy
I agree with Lisa and Taggy. We've stayed in the new town area, but our personal preference is for the old town.
There are an abundance of shops, cafes, bars etc. Quaint cobbled streets and a bit of olde world Spanish culture.
As for hotels, there are so many. But to name but a few, Milords is in a good spot, as is the Avenida.
Thank you to all of you that have posted,i could kick myself for not visiting the old town while i had the chance.Will have to book another holiday now i think. :cheers
Angela.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.